rank 3
Posted:
Sat May 21, 2011 2:08 pm
quote : #17
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Kbuzz wrote:
well, $120 later... I'm awaiting my BBA

Congratulations! That's a good price, just to compare I'm still paying mine (10xUS$30 aprx!). I'm not complaining though, like I said before it's a rare beast around here and if necessary I would have sold any other stuff if I had to, just to have one of these! Very Happy

Agent2112
rank 3
Posted:
Mon May 23, 2011 9:23 am
quote : #18
Type: NTCS-U/C
If a get a BBA, will it be compatible with my computer right away? What will I need to know or do first? Plug it into my router and I am ready? I am running Vista.

Mazonemayu
rank 27
Posted:
Mon May 23, 2011 10:28 am
quote : #19
you replace the modem on your dreamcast with it & plug it into your router. thats pretty much it, no pc involved

Blue Rogues...Attack!!!
Agent2112
rank 3
Posted:
Mon May 23, 2011 11:05 am
quote : #20
Mazonemayu wrote:
you replace the modem on your dreamcast with it & plug it into your router. thats pretty much it, no pc involved

Thanks for your reply. Just seems to easy... I guess I should get a web browser. Is there a home brew web browser I can download or do I need to find a disc?

I just bought a BBA from Ebay. I am excited. Hope it shows up.

Mazonemayu
rank 27
Posted:
Mon May 23, 2011 12:10 pm
quote : #21
just look for XDP (browser) & burn it.

Blue Rogues...Attack!!!
Agent2112
rank 3
Posted:
Mon May 23, 2011 2:37 pm
quote : #22
Could I use the BBA to network with my computer? Would I be able to download saved games or VMU games from myPC hard drive? Could I use it like a coder's cable?

Jetstor
rank 3
Posted:
Mon May 23, 2011 3:50 pm
quote : #23
I can confirm that XDP is an excellent DC browser, never hangs even in flash-crowded sites (which it cannot play, though), it even emulates IE 6.0 for increased compatibility where needed. It can be downloaded here: http://www.psilocybindreams.com/pc/download/ . Planetweb is also compatible with BBA but only in 3.0 version, I recommend it's 'Google Edition' cause it's more stable but it hangs a lot in heavier pages.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon May 23, 2011 9:56 pm
quote : #24
Agent2112 wrote:
Could I use the BBA to network with my computer? Would I be able to download saved games or VMU games from myPC hard drive? Could I use it like a coder's cable?

Yes, you can use it like a coders cable. You use an app called DC Load to transfer bin/elf files from your PC to the Dreamcast through the network.

As for transfering VMU files over the network, besides putting them on the web, Speud's VMU tool lets you connect to the PC to transfer VMU files I believe over the local network. A feature that I myself still have to fully experiment with, but its listed as a supported feature for the app.
Posted:
Tue May 24, 2011 10:55 am
quote : #25
Okay, I have some more questions. Do I need a crossover cable? Could the BBA load a game from my pc hard drive? Kind of like those SD cards that plug into the back of the Dreamcast. The BBA is a lot quicker than a SD, but I don't know if the BBA can "speak" to the Dreamcast like a SD card reader can. There are some cool looking home brew games out there, but I don't really want to burn individual cd's for 4 and 5 meg games if I don't have to. Unless someone knows how to add multiple cdi's to one cd?
Thanks,
Dave

Apparently I don't know how to edit my own posts...

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu May 26, 2011 1:56 pm
quote : #26
If you are trying to connect your Dreamcast directly into the PC's ethernet cable, you will need to setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) and use a crossover cable. If your Dreamcast and PC are connected on a LAN (router), you just use normal ethernet cables.

You can't load entire Dreamcast games (like commercial games) over dcload. You load the bin/elf files for smaller homebrew apps.

The SD card is more convenient actually. Using dcload works, but its more tedious, as you have to establish the network connection between the PC and the DC, and if the Dreamcast resets or you have to reboot, you have to start all over. The BBA is still great for testing out apps, and then burning the ones you really like to disc. Maybe this is all you need.
Posted:
Fri May 27, 2011 2:27 pm
quote : #27
BBA came today. I was able to get online with it. Hopefully I will have some time to play with it this weekend. I have a 6mo old and she doesn't think video games are top priority. Thanks for answering my questions, lordnikon. I am sure I will have more.

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Tue May 31, 2011 10:27 pm
quote : #28
mine arrived a couple days ago, just connected now. So hassle free!
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:25 pm
quote : #29
I tried using DCLoad and DCTool. I have no idea what I am doing. I have read that you could transfer vmu saves from a pc to the dreamcast via the bba, but I have no idea how. DCTool just wants to use .bins and.elfs. Also, I am not sure if my computer can recognize my Dreamcast. The Dreamcast says "idle" but then just sits there - not sure what it should say. If anyone has any ideas for me, let me know. I understand this might be too much for me. I just want to find something to do with this $100+ bba.

Wargo
rank 8
Posted:
Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:31 pm
quote : #30
Hey. After comparing prices around my area 20 bucks for dialup the broadband is looking more appealing to me. I'm trying to keep an eye out for a bba. If anyone sees one let me know. I would love to do some vintage gaming with PSO and Quake 3.