Page 1 of 1
Agent2112
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:46 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTCS-U/C
I don't play fighting games very often, but I have noticed people like using the ASCII controllers for them. Could someone explain what the ASCII controllers are and why they are different? Are they just all digital buttons and feel more like an arcade? I also noticed they go for a lot of money on ebay.

Thanks,
Dave

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:22 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I'm going to assume that you mean their 6-button pads. Some people really like playing fighting games with pads rather than arcade sticks. The ASCII 6-button pad, has a large diameter d-pad, as well as 6 primary buttons, 2 shoulder buttons, and a slot to conveniently store your VMU.

The holy grail of controllers is essentially the Saturn 6-button model 2 controller. It is pretty much the greatest most perfect controller ever concieved for anything not requiring dual analog control. Anyone who tells you otherwise has never used this controller before. The ASCII pads are essentially the closest native Dreamcast hardware to mimic this setup.

Rarity always determines prices. It is not often that you see a game that is well liked, made in mass quantities, that sells for a lot of money. The quality of the game can have some impact, but more often than not its the scarceness of the item that determines cost.

There are Saturn to Dreamcast controller converters, so you can technically just run out and buy a Saturn Model 2 controller and use the real deal. However some people like having an all in one piece, and to also have the native DC controller. You can do either or, it all depends on your tastes. You can get a real saturn controller + convertor setup, or you can get a DC ASCII pad.
Posted:
Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:50 pm
quote : #3
let's not forget the Treamcast controllers
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:13 pm
quote : #4
Man that is right, I totally forgot about those. Though, they are more like a hybrid between the Saturn Model 2 controller and the Genesis/MegaDrive 6-button.

They could have made more money selling Treamcast controllers than consoles I bet.
Posted:
Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:06 pm
quote : #5
Thank you for starting this topic. I like the ascii controllers I've seen, but I don't normally play a lot of fighting games. Would it still be worth buying one? I have a total control plus. I have considered getting a total control 3. I have never heard anyone speak negatively about the Saturn controller, although the Treamcast model seems cheap. This is in reference to the removable d-pad. I am only familiar with the Sega Genesis 6 button controller.

Agent2112
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:00 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTCS-U/C
I just bought a Saturn Model 2 controller and adapter from ebay and I am pretty happy with them. The Saturn controller feels just right.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:11 pm
quote : #7
Bloodflow wrote:
Thank you for starting this topic. I like the ascii controllers I've seen, but I don't normally play a lot of fighting games. Would it still be worth buying one? I have a total control plus.

Yes! Most definatly! Even if you don't play many fighting games, the Saturn Model 2 controller is simply the best of the best when it comes to a game pad.

Other ways in which you could use this controller setup would be for emulators or classic compilations like Namco Museum or Atari Anniversary Edition. Any other game with 3D graphics that has a fixed camera perspective like Expendable, Gunspike, and others would work as well. I think Super Magnetic Neo might have a fixed camera. Also if you don't have an arcade stick for shmups, this is the next best thing. Which actually goes for all arcade games. Basically the Saturn Model 2 controller is the pad of choice for people who like arcade games but like to use a pad instead of an arcade stick.

Agent2112 wrote:
I just bought a Saturn Model 2 controller and adapter from ebay and I am pretty happy with them. The Saturn controller feels just right.

Awesome, glad it worked out good Smile
Posted:
Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:24 pm
quote : #8
saturn model 2 pad and an innovation adapter was my setup for a few years before switching to a sanwa modded stick. I learned all my KOF combos on it so that's saying something.