Topic: DNS Help?

Page 1 of 1
Tact
rank 5
Posted:
Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:06 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I hope someone can maybe help me, Let me first explain my setup a little.
I could never get a PC-DC setup working but I did get at MAC-DC setup working and it seems pretty simple and was really easy to do. Seems pretty similar to the other ways on windows or linux, only more simple and it seemed to work better. So far...
Two terminals, one opens a small command used to call up another system and act as a dial in terminal. AT command line.
Info:
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#DOCUMENTATION/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/cu.1.html

Second terminal window starts a PPPD to establish a link from the modem to the internet.
Info:
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/pppd.8.html

I'm not too familiar at all with networking , Definitely not familiar with mac, but it seemed to work pretty well. As far as web browsing works, Quake 3 works well and gets a server list, and PSO works well a DNS address can be specified for the server, I used to use a DNS that went to schthacks server but it doesnt work anymore and now I go to DCTalk's pso server using the autoconnect disc because I didn't know of a DNS to use, using just the server IP didn't seem to work. but the disc works fine. Anyway.

My problem is that I can't seem to get on Starlancer, 4x4 Evolution, and Max Pool downloaded that vmu save to see the server?
Max pool gets online but doesn't see any servers, there's that.
Starlancer and 4x4 after getting connected they seem to sit there for a while and as I remember starlancer would say it was unable to contact gamespy server. and something similar for 4x4 I'm not sure I haven't tried in a while.

I Believe this might have something to do with the DNS I have set on my Dreamcast. My DNS on the dreamcast is set to the same DNS that my modem lists that goes to the internet and that worked great for web browsing and quake 3 , pso I use that auto connect disc but I used to specify the dns for that on the second profile on the dreamcast.

I wanted to know if anyone might have an opinion about the DNS settings or I setup a custom DNS for myself which I'm not familiar with either but I'm certain I can with some help and instruction. I don't expect many people here to know anything about Mac stuff I think I'm the only one using it like this. Lol. But it seemed like the same or similar methods that linux or windows might use for this Dial service.

thanks

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:37 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Here is my workaround, maybe you'll be able to pull something from it:

For DNS type issues, the best option I found was on my router. I am running DD-WRT which is a custom firmware and it has a service called DNSMASQ. It allows you to create a table of addresses and their corresponding IPs.

What I do, is setup my dreamcast to use my router's IP as the DNS server and just make sure that any addresses the games look up are included in the table. For me, quake III wouldn't contact the master server until I did that.

dnsmasq is also available as a standalone program for Linux I believe.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:44 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
nice to know we have someone familiar with dnsmasq. I was never able to get the hang of it in linux.
rank 5
Posted:
Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:55 pm
quote : #4
Thanks maybe that will help a little, I don't think I'm going to be putting custom firmware on my router/s and the linux standalone wouldn't help me any.

But thanks =) I'm still messing with it.