Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
SpeedDemon.Z
rank 5
Posted:
Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:03 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hey , I recently got a Japanese Dreamcast and it didn't come with a 56k or 33k modem. It just came with a shell that looked like a modem but it's just a piece of plastic. So, I have been wondering why did it come like this?

I have also noticed that the Dreamcast is slightly heavier than your average Dreamcast. I am starting to think that this Dreamcast was from a tokyo game show or it was at E3. So, tell me what do you guys think of this?
rank 5
Posted:
Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:52 pm
quote : #2
My Japanese DC has a 33k modem. Not sure what yours has.

It makes sense that this unit is heavier. It's probably one of the earlier models, maybe even the one with the heat tube cooling system. Check the cooling fan on your system. If it's made of metal, you have the heat tube Dreamcast, which was one of the earliest, and would explain the extra weight.
Posted:
Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:21 pm
quote : #3
That is indeed wierd. Can you post pictures of this plastic piece?
Posted:
Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:21 pm
quote : #4
If I'm remembering right, I thought dreamcasts in asia (besides japan) came with a plastic shell in place of the modem.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
yozee
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:09 pm
quote : #5
they come with a shell if they dont come with a modem so there isnt a huge hole there,
Posted:
Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:15 am
quote : #6
I have never heard of a Dreamcast shipping without some sort of modem, nor have I ever seen any pictures of such a system..

It would be interesting to see this.

brmanuk
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:17 am
quote : #7
I've lived in Hong Kong for the past year and a half and almost all of the used Dreamcasts I've seen do not have a modem. Instead they come with a plastic shell which is literally an empty modem case but without a phone line socket. These pictures are from my NTSC-J Dreamcast with the model number HKT-3010 which I bought here.

[/img]

SpeedDemon.Z
rank 5
Posted:
Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:21 pm
quote : #8
brmanuk wrote:
I've lived in Hong Kong for the past year and a half and almost all of the used Dreamcasts I've seen do not have a modem. Instead they come with a plastic shell which is literally an empty modem case but without a phone line socket. These pictures are from my NTSC-J Dreamcast with the model number HKT-3010 which I bought here.

[/img]

Yeah, that is exactly what it is.
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:59 pm
quote : #9
Type: PAL
So is this an official Dreamcast model that was packaged with no modem especifically for some Asian markets, or was it unoficially imported to Hong Kong, etc. and repackaged? In the latter case I wonder what they did with the functioning modems.

brmanuk
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:20 pm
quote : #10
Segata Sanshiro wrote:
So is this an official Dreamcast model that was packaged with no modem especifically for some Asian markets, or was it unoficially imported to Hong Kong, etc. and repackaged? In the latter case I wonder what they did with the functioning modems.

I'm assuming it's official and that they didn't include modems because Hong Kong didn't officially go 'online'. Since being here I've never seen any Chinese localised Dreamcast games - all are either Jap or UK. As for the functioning modems...who knows?!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:20 am
quote : #11
I wonder if these placeholders were in Kiosk units? or some other varient of the DC that was meant to be in some business establishment where the console would never connect to the net.