Mateoman
rank 4
Posted:
Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:53 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hi everyone,

I just got my hands on a BBA yesterday, and the first thing I did was try and connect using Q3A. It successfully connects every time without a hitch, but once online it fails to obtain the master list. After trying this a few more times and getting the same result, I decided to manually enter the OC server IPs (I tried each, with and without port-forwarding tags), and I couldn't get this to work either.

I'm connected through a Netgear Wireless N router (of course, the DC itself is wired into the router). Upon logging in, I always have the correct values filled out as 0.0.0.0. And like I said, it does appear to be successfully connecting.

What's going on here?

everynewday84
rank 12
Posted:
Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:20 pm
quote : #2
Hello Mateoman,
Well, you've managed to connect. That's a good thing Wink

You couldn't manually connect to OC's servers because they are temporarily down.

I have experienced the problem finding master server a couple times. It seems that the master list tends to be stubborn sometimes. Wink
Give it a try again today, or whenever you get the chance, and see what happens.

Last edited by everynewday84 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Mateoman
rank 4
Posted:
Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:17 pm
quote : #3
Well, I've tried it again tonight. Twice, actually. Still nothing. I've noticed that when it logs on, it "connects" to 10.0.0.149 if I default everything (including IP) to 0.0.0.0. Is that normal? I've tried directly connecting to DC-Talk's servers, still to no avail. I went on my laptop and forwarded ports from 27950 to 27970, but it didn't work.What haven't I thought of?

Oh, and thanks for the help Very Happy

everynewday84
rank 12
Posted:
Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:08 pm
quote : #4
Not a problem, I don't mind helping anyone here with QIII troubleshooting.

This is unusual. I am not able to yet a response form the master server today. I can't manually connect to OC member TacT's server or either of the Dreamcast-talk servers. Gametracker is, however,currently saying all of those servers are offline.

In all my time playing QIIIA there has never been time where OC's, DC Talk's, and TacT's servers have all been down. At least one of them has always been up and operational Exclamation

Would the master server just not respond if there were no compatable servers available? Or would it give us a blank list like Unreal Tournament Question

Last edited by everynewday84 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total

jjc5150
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:42 am
quote : #5
HI Guys,

This has happened to me before in the past, if the servers are physically down, etc. there is nothing that you can do. But I would try this first :

Power Cycle all of your network equipment (modem router, etc) - Meaning, unplug them for at least 1 minute and let them reset, and then reboot. After thats done, then turn on your dc, and try again to connect.

If it doesnt work, then most likely its a server situation thats out of our hands. If it is, I would give it a day or so, there were times where I couldnt get a master list, and would try several times that day and still get nothing, and then connect fine a day or two later.
Jabber ID: JJC5150@jabber.org
everynewday84
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:59 am
quote : #6
Hi Jjc5150
jjc5150 wrote:
But I would try this first :

Power Cycle all of your network equipment (modem router, etc) - Meaning, unplug them for at least 1 minute and let them reset, and then reboot. After thats done, then turn on your dc, and try again to connect.

This is probably some of the best trouble shooting advice available Wink It's the first thing I do whenever I have network or connectivity issues like this. I guess I just assume everyone knows to do this. Thanks for mentioning that here.

I was able to manually pull up server information of PC QIIIA servers. I wasn't able to join any of them though (as they are on PC maps). So it seems that my DC is connected and is able to send/receive information. Perhaps it is just that there are no Dreamcast quake servers online at the moment that the master server doesn't respond. But I still wonder: wouldn't we just get a blank list of servers (as is the case with UT) rather than no response at all Question
Time will tell Mr. Green

roman
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:09 am
quote : #7
I also tried to get in there, minutes ago ...
No responce from the master...

i think its down!

I will retry later, but i found some rumors

http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45699

...hope i missunderstud all Wink
Posted:
Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:02 pm
quote : #8
roman wrote:
i found some rumors

http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45699

...hope i missunderstud all Wink

I don't think the master server is anything to be too worried about roman. I read through that thread and I don't see anything to be worried about. The master list is nice to have, but it's not necessary for our playing q3a online with our dreamcasts. What we need is a running dedicated dreamcast quake 3 server to connect to. I'm currently looking into getting a pc copy of the game and its serials so I can get one up. In the meantime let's hope that any of the server admins out there get their servers back online soon.

Cyberdemonbfg
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:22 pm
quote : #9
I tried it today and it's still not up.
Posted:
Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:05 pm
quote : #10
Type: PAL
everynewday84 wrote:

I'm currently looking into getting a pc copy of the game and its serials so I can get one up. In the meantime let's hope that any of the server admins out there get their servers back online soon.

You may use this package to get one running http://quakedc.with-linux.com/index-pc.html no need to buy the game
everynewday84
rank 12
Posted:
Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:09 pm
quote : #11
fallout wrote:

You may use this package to get one running http://quakedc.with-linux.com/index-pc.html no need to buy the game

Thanks for that. But, I've went ahead and purchased a legit copy. As soon as it arrives I'll have a temporary server up. It's also my understanding that dcarena.de is working on getting servers back up.

jjc5150
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:47 am
quote : #12
Hi Guys,

If you guys need help getting a server up I'll try my best to get one up and running. Unfortunately my schedule is absolutely crazy at the moment, but I have a spare machine, and the software to get one up for the weekly friday games.

For those who already know, I used to have a server set up as backup, which we would occasionally use for friday games, but that machine has since crapped out, so i'll have to set up another, but its all good, can be done in a day or so,........let me know.
Jabber ID: JJC5150@jabber.org
everynewday84
rank 12
Posted:
Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:23 am
quote : #13
@jjc5150, it would be much appreciated if you could get a server up for this friday as my copy won't have arrived by then. Im hoping to have a server up next week.
Thanks!

@Fallout, I just took a look at the link you provided, plenty of good information there. I'll take a closer look when my copy arrives. Thanks again!

Mateoman
rank 4
Posted:
Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:22 pm
quote : #14
Hey everybody,

Thanks for looking into this! When I began this thread, I assumed I was just having connection troubles on my end. Who knew that this would evolve into the discovery that the master server is down?

@everynewday84, it would be awesome if you could put up a dedicated server again. Would you try and keep it online 24/7, or would we just have it for Friday nights? And would this be at in individual address? If so, where would I enter the IP when logging in? Should I leave everything as 0.0.0.0, log in, have the master server fail to be found, and then go to "More" and type in your server's IP there?

everynewday84
rank 12
Posted:
Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:02 pm
quote : #15
Mateoman wrote:

Would you try and keep it online 24/7, or would we just have it for Friday nights? And would this be at in individual address? If so, where would I enter the IP when logging in? Should I leave everything as 0.0.0.0, log in, have the master server fail to be found, and then go to "More" and type in your server's IP there?

I will try and have it online 24/7. I'll post the ip:port as soon as the server is up and operational. Yes, 0000 > connect > let no response from master server screen appear > click on more > enter ip:port > click fight.