Page Location: Home > Support > PC-DC Server > Topic
konio38
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:19 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Hi there guys im relatively new to the Dreamcast online scene, but i have read and studied a bunch of tutorials so i preaty much know how all of this work but the question i have seems a bit noobish i know but moving on..

I live in PAL territory therefore i have a PAL dreamcast, and of course a PAL modem, now i have configured everything for a pc-dc server, but has you may know the PAL modem requires a Line voltage simulator, and my question is simple is there anyway possible that i can pass a line voltage simulator, i simply cant aford one, and in my country is very hard to find any electronic parts to make one, belive it or not our hardware shops dont sell things like capacitors or resistors.

Of course i could try and buy a NTSC modem, but has i said its a matter of money i simply cant afford anything too expensive now.

Thank you for your time and i hope you guys can help me.

DC2 12/12/12 I BELIEVE Cool

jjc5150
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:45 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hi,

Well Im from the US, and im not too familiar with the UK/Pal hardware, but your cheapest way to get setup is to find a NTSC type A model model. Ive seen them on ebay here in the US for $10.00 or even less, so its not too expensive.

Other than that it depends on what type of modem you are using in your pc. Ive heard stories where it worked without the line voltage. So I would try to get it going and see if it works with out it. Other than that Ive also heard that you can get it going with a usb (or serial) external modem without the voltage - so it may be possible to get one used (on ebay, etc) for pretty cheap as well.
Jabber ID: JJC5150@jabber.org
konio38
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:31 am
quote : #3
yeah but as i said i wanted to try this to work without having to buy more hardware, well the modem i have i cant find the name but the driver i used as a Conexant HSF it as two ports one for internet and one for phone so i gess its safe to belive that the modem has voice.

Has for the US modem well the modem may be 10$ but the shipping i bet its about 17$ so overall it does get kinda expensive

Alec1382
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:53 am
quote : #4
Why don't you just buy the components online? They wouldn't be expensive.
Posted:
Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:02 am
quote : #5
again the components are cheap, the shipping costs are allways a rip off.

bomb78
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:28 am
quote : #6
A very interesting way has been found by a member of dreamcast-talk :

http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3122

It is affordable and not very complicated to set up

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:52 pm
quote : #7
I've tried both modem revisions of dreamcast, and neither could connect without a lince voltage inducer. Might have to do with the type of modem being used.
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:28 pm
quote : #8
Yeah it is definitively the type of modem. I dont have to use one with my model A and a pci modem. I bought a 305 originally but it wouldn't work. Not that building a line voltage inducer is hard but most people aren't really well versed in circuitry.