Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:50 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Everytime I adjust the time on my Dreamcast I am reminded of how old I am, and how much time has passed since I first started getting involved with the Dreamcast community. It is a morbid experience having to do this with almost all of my game systems.

This time I decided to see how high the number went. The year goes all the way up to 2085. If you then push it up one more, it loops back to the lowest number.... 1950. I wonder, why? Under what situations would you want to configure your Dreamcast back to say 1957 or 1978? Maybe you want your Atari Classics Collection save to have that authentic feel with a retro date stamp Wink I just wonder what the logic was for setting this range.

It is interesting that the Dreamcast won't be able to have an accurate date someday... and in the far flung future someone will most likely fix the most current Dreamcast emulator with a bios "date patch".

I can see the headlines now.... "Happy Birthday Dreamcast, Scene Coders write mod for 9/9/2086 support."
Posted:
Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:46 am
quote : #2
Type: PAL
I have the same feeling that you have when setting the date and clock. Everytime I turn on the Dreamcast this year I have to move the date 14 years. I bought the Dreamcast at the end of the year 2000 and so I always think wow I'm still playing this nice machine for more than 11 years and I feel nostalgic remembering the first years of the DC life and also thinking that time passes fast and I'm getting old Razz .

I've turned on the Saturn console a few times this year and having to move the date like 18 years its a bit more dramatic...lol.

Why its possible to set the date below the manufacture date I have no idea maybe it has to have some standard for the clock system to work well. Or maybe they thought that one day maybe someone with a time machine want to go back to their childhood years and give the DC has a present to himself when was young because never had the opportunity to play the machine at that time. Razz Smile
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:16 pm
quote : #3
Word is that the fabled zip drive was actually a time machine that could be controlled with the bios date and travelling at 88mph in MSR.
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:11 pm
quote : #4
Kbuzz wrote:
Word is that the fabled zip drive was actually a time machine that could be controlled with the bios date and travelling at 88mph in MSR.

Quick! Someone find the prototype! Very Happy
Posted:
Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:21 pm
quote : #5
no sign of the owner, he's probably oh his 2085 model hoverboard
rank 28
Posted:
Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:59 pm
quote : #6
Only thing I can think of is specific date stamps how a certain game on saturn changed the scenery, (I know what it is i'm just trying to stay on topic) I believe there was 1 other game that (not even sure what console let alone the game name was) had some date specific stuff.

or something more plausible
During Dreamcast's R&D
Engineer #1: 'Engineer #2, Quick give me a date!!!'
Engineer #2: Huh? ok 1950.
Engineer #1: Why 1950?
Engineer# 2 : My Mom's Birth year, why you ask, and what's this about?!?
Engineer #1 : (mumbling to himself or herself ) Nobody will know or find out...

Option #3
Ever since its design The Dreamcast was set to have a 135 year reign fearing, technology past 2085
the designers decided to put in all those pre '99 years and that my friends is why 'It's Thinking' cause it has all this time on its motherboard!
cast128dreams
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:44 pm
quote : #7
What happened at this year..SEGA history:
1951, Raymond Lemaire and Richard Stewart moved the company to Tokyo, Japan to develop and distribute coin-operated amusement-type games such as jukeboxes and slot machines, and renamed it Service Games. Within a few years Service Games began importing these machines to American military bases throughout Japan.

As for 2085 dont know...hmmm

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:03 am
quote : #8
like the dates on a tombstone. Pretty cryptic.
rank 3
Posted:
Sun May 13, 2012 4:43 pm
quote : #9
Kbuzz wrote:

Dreamcast Fans, we all are going Back to the Future. Get in Doc Brown's DeLorean!!!
rank 1
Posted:
Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:27 pm
quote : #10
I share a similar enthusiasm when I have to set my DC's time. I still remember how I came to own every console I've received in the pass. All of them (from Atari 5200 to Saturn) were either Christmas or birthday gifts. The Dreamcast was the only console that was not either and the only console that I ever pre-ordered. Thanks to my Grandmother (R.I.P.) I paid her in advance and she pre-ordered the DC from J.C. Penney's. We didn't get the console until October 1999 but it was well worth the wait. Our local Wal-Mart had all the top shelves lined up with DC units but all of them had been purchased from local video rental stores to rent out.

I honestly believe (and not to sound off topic) that Sega left the hardware business on a very positive note. I don't know of any other console that has almost 700 games produced for it in just 3 years time nor do I know of any other console that left an impact on the gaming industry that the Dreamcast has done. I'm not too worried about the 2085 limit...I know I won't be here by then but, hopefully, should my beloved Dreamcasts manage to stay working that long that they will go to a good home who will enjoy them as much as I am now.

retrotowers
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:23 pm
quote : #11
Type: PAL
cast128dreams wrote:
1951, Raymond Lemaire and Richard Stewart moved the company to Tokyo, Japan to develop and distribute coin-operated amusement-type games such as jukeboxes and slot machines, and renamed it Service Games. Within a few years Service Games began importing these machines to American military bases throughout Japan.

Really? That is quite interesting I always thought Sega was a Japanese company.
Posted:
Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:19 pm
quote : #12
retrotowers wrote:
cast128dreams wrote:

Really? That is quite interesting I always thought Sega was a Japanese company.

Yes, very interesting that Sega started as an American company. I never knew that.