Page Location: Home > Classic Sega > Topic
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:59 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
A long time ago I bought a modded saturn off a member on DigitalPress forums. Well, turns out, it doesn't work. It won't boot a simple audio disc nor will it boot any CD-R's. There is a modchip in the saturn, but I guess I am wondering if this setup can be salvaged somehow. I know Saturn Modchip installs can be sketchy. Any thoughts are welcome.
Posted:
Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:41 pm
quote : #2
Was it done by someone who was selling multiple Saturns with modchips (as in, this was a small business for this person) or was it a one-off thing)? If the latter, it may just be that the mod chip is in the wrong Saturn. If you can post pictures of the installation and details about the chip / type of Saturn it's in (NTSC-U / J, etc and what type of board does it have?), that will help determine if it's just a bad installation or the wrong parts.

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:14 am
quote : #3
could always reinsert the ribbon cable normally and see if original games work then
rank 20
Posted:
Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:04 pm
quote : #4
Kbuzz wrote:
could always reinsert the ribbon cable normally and see if original games work then

I second that suggestion. The Saturn modchip is really ridiculously easy to install so I'd be surprised if someone managed to do it wrong.

Are there other mods to the system besides the modchip? Like a region mod?
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:47 am
quote : #5
I don't believe there is a region mod. There are some wires soldered to the motherboard though. I will take some pictures soon and post them, as well as re-test the system.
Posted:
Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:10 am
quote : #6
Have you had a chance to check the system out yet?

There are different installation methods depending on which model Saturn you are trying to mod and which model chip you have. Is your chips physically attached to the motherboard, or does it attach with a ribbon cable? Some of the chips that mount into the slot that the ribbon cable from the lens assembly normally plugs into need to be reseated sometimes. They don't always fit in the slot perfectly, and sometimes need to have a very small amount of filing done on one side to fit properly.

How many wires are connected from the chip to the system? If the system is sitting flat and you are looking straight down onto it with the controller ports south normally there should be one wire (the power wire) connected to the power supply board on the far left, and there may be a second wire (the signal wire) connected to a chip on the mobo just below the disc motor.

Depending on the model, sometimes the signal wire won't be connected to the mobo, but will just reattach to the chip.

If it's a model 1 Saturn, than the install was probably a huge pain in the ass and I don't know what it would look like.

If it's not booting pressed audio discs at all than that seems a little strange. What happens when you throw a pressed audio CD or a retail Saturn game in? Does it just spin endlessly, or do you get the "Disc is not suitable for this system" error?