Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:14 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
My Dreamcast was having problems reading discs so I decided to adjust the laser output to correct the problem. I attempted to do it without the aid of a digital multimeter, which was a mistake. I HIGHLY recommend using one if attempting to correct a weak laser. The adjustment is VERY delicate.

As a result, I rendered my DC inoperable. I then purchased the correct tools (digital multimeter and an ESD wrist strap) and bought a new laser pickup off of ebay. The new pickup arrived in the mail. By pickup I mean just the laser part that moves back and forth and reads the disc, so that meant disassembling the old laser assembly and putting the new pickup in.

Unknown to me, the laser diode is shorted upon arrival to protect it from static discharge. After figuring this out (you have to remove a solder ball that shorts two contacts), I tried the new laser to no success. My best guess is that the pickup was dead on arrival, so I'm waiting for an exchange for a new one.

Has anyone here attempted this before who could give some input or advice?

If I'm ever successful, I'll be sure to post a guide because new lasers are ~$15 shipped which makes it a fairly cheap fix.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:56 pm
quote : #2
This is good info. Wish I had some input to give, but I have yet to learn to solder or work with electronics in such a fashion. A guide for this would be great.

I am assuming it could double for swapping a laser from one working DC to another?
Posted:
Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:47 am
quote : #3
lordnikon wrote:
I am assuming it could double for swapping a laser from one working DC to another?

Yes it could, although if you were going to go that route it's much easier to switch out the whole drive. As for soldering all you have to do for this is swipe a hot iron over the solder ball to remove it.
SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:13 am
quote : #4
Update:

I tried using two different new laser pickups and couldn't get either to work. I did everything by the book taking all the correct safety precautions and still ended up with a dud.

Since I really didn't want to buy another Dreamcast just to cannibalize its parts, I found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Sega-Arcade-GD-ROM-Drive-Laser-610-0617-01-HARD-2-FIND-gdrom-/26 1080350615?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc999ff97

The price has went up since I bought it oddly, but this did the trick. You get exactly what's shown in the picture, so you still have to do some disassembly. My Dreamcast originally had a Yamaha laser and this was a Samsung laser so I was a little weary at first. However, once installed, it works perfectly.

Not the cheapest solution by any means, but like I said, I really didn't want to cannibalize another Dreamcast. I would just feel bad Razz