Page Location: Home > Support > Get Your Dreamcast Online > Topic
Forever.A.Gamer
rank 2
Posted:
Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:55 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NSTC-U/C
Hi. I have a ATT account for DSL, and i heard that you can use that info for dial up. However, when i try and connect, it will say my phone cord is not in the wall. I've tried a lot of different telephone jacks, with no avail. Can someone tell me how to fix it? THanks.

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:42 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
You may be able to use the same account info for dialup, but you still need a land line. Do you also have phone service from AT&T? It's possible to have DSL without phone service (I do).
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
Forever.A.Gamer
rank 2
Posted:
Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:10 am
quote : #3
SEGA RPG FAN wrote:
You may be able to use the same account info for dialup, but you still need a land line. Do you also have phone service from AT&T? It's possible to have DSL without phone service (I do).

I have ATT Phone service, and dsl.

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:44 pm
quote : #4
Is the phone service a VOIP type, or PSTN? In other words, do you have to plug a phone into anything (besides a line filter) before you'd be able to dial out?
Forever.A.Gamer
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:17 am
quote : #5
SEGA RPG FAN wrote:
Is the phone service a VOIP type, or PSTN? In other words, do you have to plug a phone into anything (besides a line filter) before you'd be able to dial out?
I do not have to plug anything into it, just a line filter.

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:32 am
quote : #6
Since it says that you don't have your phone cord connected, it sounds like an equipment problem. Do a little basic troubleshooting.

1. Verify you have a dial tone.

2. Check your phone cable between the DC and phone jack. Try a different one if you have one available.

3. Set the DC to dial a cell phone if you have one to verify the Dreamcast can dial out.

4. Try both with and without the line filter.
Forever.A.Gamer
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:42 pm
quote : #7
SEGA RPG FAN wrote:
Since it says that you don't have your phone cord connected, it sounds like an equipment problem. Do a little basic troubleshooting.

1. Verify you have a dial tone.

2. Check your phone cable between the DC and phone jack. Try a different one if you have one available.

3. Set the DC to dial a cell phone if you have one to verify the Dreamcast can dial out.

4. Try both with and without the line filter.
I get a dial tone, I cannot find another cord, the cellphone dial out works, and the line filter does not make a diffrence. I see we're getting somewhere! Thank you for this.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:29 pm
quote : #8
you may need to call AT&T to get some more information. I use to use their dial up when i had their DSL service. Make sure that you have the correct local dial up numbers from them as well as the correct DSN numbers.
Posted:
Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:31 pm
quote : #9
gary_b wrote:
you may need to call AT&T to get some more information. I use to use their dial up when i had their DSL service. Make sure that you have the correct local dial up numbers from them as well as the correct DSN numbers.
Sorry to sound like a noob, but what is a dsn number? If it's what i think it is, i have mine set to 0.0.0.0. Want me to post my settings here?

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:08 am
quote : #10
Domain Name Server number, try these 68.94.156.1 Primary 68.94.157.1 Secondary... i should note that quake 3 should be set to 0.0.0.0 for both. i have not played it in a long time so idk if the master list issues are sorted out, or if people have to still manually enter server IPs? I had my second dial up page set up for quake back then, you may want to do the same.
Posted:
Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:59 pm
quote : #11
gary_b wrote:
Domain Name Server number, try these 68.94.156.1 Primary 68.94.157.1 Secondary... i should note that quake 3 should be set to 0.0.0.0 for both. i have not played it in a long time so idk if the master list issues are sorted out, or if people have to still manually enter server IPs? I had my second dial up page set up for quake back then, you may want to do the same.
Thanks; I'll try it when i get some time. Right now I have a lot of things to do.

Forever.A.Gamer
rank 2
Posted:
Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:27 pm
quote : #12
The reson it was not working, (i think) is that to use the dial up, you cannot use the login info for a sub-account. It's impossible to change the member username/login and mine is too big. Is there any possible way to get it to fit?