Topic: Starlancer!!!

Page 1 of 1
Stewy01
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:01 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hmmm, does nebody know if Starlancer PC online works with Starlancer DC online? I know Starlancer PC is out, but I heard it's pretty hard to find. Maybe its just one of those back-in-the -rack 10 dollar games that just wasnt good enough for the PC. Oh, and PC is two disks long.
Posted:
Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:19 pm
quote : #2
No, the PC and DC servers are separate. As for it being hard to find, that's not particularly true--search eBay and you'll find a million copies of it for about 1.99. It's really not too much different than the DC version, besides offering co-op online play.
Posted:
Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:58 am
quote : #3
Yeah, searching for anything on Ebay is easy to find, even finding a copy of What's Shenmue is pretty easy to find. So I wouldnt be surprised to find Starlancer all over the place. I'm talking about going down to your game store and buying it type of deal.
Posted:
Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:26 pm
quote : #4
Yeah, StarLancer for PC will probably be pretty hard to find at a brick-and-mortar store. StarLancer for Dreamcast, on the other hand, can be had pretty easily at most local GameStop or similar stores (for about US$9).
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:25 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/176518.asp

^^^^^^

This is where I got my PC version. StarLancer for the PC for $1.99 at ebgames.

I don't think anybody can argue with that price.
Posted:
Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:31 pm
quote : #6
Wow. Yep, no arguments here.
Stewy01
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:41 pm
quote : #7
Damn, now THAT"S cheap. Btw, how different is PC Starlancer and DC Starlancer from each other both online and offline. Also, I heard that the creator of Starlancer made a game for the Playstation (Dont remember, but the name is like Giga Wings or somethin) that's 5 disks long. If neone can clarify this, I'd definitely want to get that game in my possesion
Posted:
Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:45 pm
quote : #8
No Giga Wing is a top scrolling shooter, arcade, which is nothing like StarLancer. You might be thinking of Wing Commander?

StarLancer PC version and DC version are different in some ways. However I can't name specifics since I have not installed my PC copy yet or looked at it. I mainly aquired it for down the road to experiment with the possibility of server creation for starlancer. I am doing this with quite a few games infact. Getting the PC copies so I can have a basis for when I start to experiment with this some. However who knows when I will ever make any progress towards a successfully working private server. Since I have zero experience with programming. However no programmers out there have any motivation to put time or effort into such a project, so its the only viable solution I can think of right now...to slowly build up skillz.
Posted:
Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:50 pm
quote : #9
Wing Commander might be it. In fact, I'm pretty sure it is. I'm sorta confused. If PC Star and DC star run on completely seperate servers, how does anyone play on making a private DC server? Oh well, I'll shut my trap cuz I'm about as computer literate as my dad. I really suck at doing things such as, oh lets say, watching video files and burning games and cd's.
Posted:
Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:23 pm
quote : #10
To get a server running for any online game you would have to reverse engineer the server from scratch almost. Which would take an enormous amount of technical expertise, motivation and time. I have 2 out of the 3. Just need the programming technical expertise.
Posted:
Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:27 pm
quote : #11
Quote:
Also, I heard that the creator of Starlancer made a game for the Playstation

I am not 100% sure about what I am about to say. Most of what I know comes from talking on Colony Wars message boards.

As far as I know, the creators of the Colony Wars series on playstion, also made Starlancer. The first two colony wars games came out before Starlancer and the third colony wars game was released in the same year. During the production of the third game, Sony pulled the plug on the project and most of the developers at Psynosis joined Warthog and worked on Starlancer. The people at Warthog, before the Psynoses team joined, made the Wing Commander games and two were released on Playstation.

I highly recommend the Colony Wars series. I have never played and Wing Commander games, but I plan to once i have a computer that can handle games.

As for the difference between DC and PC Starlancer...The controls on DC are much easier to handle, but maybe more complicated as some things require 3 buttons held at once. The PC version has more of everything. Better graphics, more ship options, more game dialog. Basically everything is better, but the controls leave something to be desired.