Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:19 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
First off, I believe it's possible. The problem is, it might be a bit too expensive to be practical.

What I'm talking about is how one might be albe to get component video signal from a Dreamcast for use with a high-end TV. The GameCube, PS2, and Xbox all offer component video cables, but I have never seen one for Dreamcast (probably because component video wasn't really around much - if at all - when the Dreamcast was at its peak).

I know that the Dreamcast outputs a signal that can be converted to the following types by simply buying the right adapter:

RF signal (standard cable television F-type connector)
Composite signal (the yellow RCA connector)
S-video signal (the 4-pin mini-DIN connector)
SCART signal (a large multi-pin connector used in Europe)
VGA signal (for computer monitors, requires VGA box and compatible game)

What I'm wondering about is component video, which is three RCA cables (usually red, green, and blue). This is the type of connector that is on higher-end DVD players and televisions (it is the same type of connector that HDTV uses). Component video is sometimes called YUV and is generally labeled either as (Y, Pb, Pr) or (Y, Cb, Cr) or (Y, B-Y, R-Y). It is most commonly used with DVD players (and you do need to have a pretty nice TV in order to have component inputs). As I understand it, it is the closest to honest-to-goodness RGB that is possible with North American televisions (Europeans are lucky to have SCART which I'm pretty sure is pure RGB).

The good news is that I do believe that I know at least one way to get component video from a Dreamcast. If you can get your Dreamcast to output SCART then should be able to do it. I'm not sure if you need a PAL-E version Dreamcast to do this; you may be able to just buy a SCART cable for your NA or JP version NTSC Dreamcast. The reason you would want to output SCART is that I have seen a SCART-to-component video converter. It has a SCART connector on one side and a component (Y, R-Y, and B-Y) output on the other. It does say that it can output NTSC-compatible component video. The thing is, I haven't seen one for less than £75 (which as of today equals about $140).

So, does anyone know if an NTSC version Dreamcast can output SCART by just buying a SCART cable, and has anyone seen a cheaper SCART-to-component video converter?

Alternatively, would it be possible to simply modify a video cable for Dreamcast, build a small circuit, and get it to output component video directly?
icepick
rank 13
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:30 am
quote : #2
profile : pm
Another coincidence! I've been looking into this myself, but with about the same results as you... I'm primarily concerned that any conversion might reduce the quality of the output to less than that of straight S-video (as many of said), but, I'm dead set on finding out for myself!

Seventy-five pounds is indeed a lot of dough, though. Regarding your inquiry; As far as I'm aware, SCART is simply a connecter (for audio and video), but the video portion of the connector provides R, G, B, and composite sync -- I think. Since all DCs can output these signals, I don't think that there would be a problem, but the PAL/NTSC factor may pose an issue (I have no idea, myself).

I'm personally hoping that we can find that last option of yours. A "YPbPr" box to go along with our VGA boxes would be sweet! Although, I do have yet to get a VGA box, myself.

(I just received my Hitomi "By Myself" album in the mail. Is that why I keep saying "myself"?)