Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:57 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
It seems like Vampire Chronicle has been coming up here and there in conversations about other fighting games, so I figured I'd just start a topic dedicated to it.

For those that don't know, Vampire Chronicle is a one-disc compilation (more like combination) of the games in the Vampire series (called Darkstalkers in North America). The Vampire series is very similar to Street Fighter (it even uses the same six-button control scheme and shares a lot of the moves) but it features an entirely new "halloween-ish" set of Capcom characters. Vampire Chronicle only came out on the Dreamcast, only came out in Japan, had online play (but doesn't anymore), and is the only game in the Vampire fighting series that came out for Dreamcast (Vampire Hunter and Vampire Savior came out for Sega Saturn). It is basically the "ultimate" home console game in the Vampire/Darkstalkers series.

The Vampire/Darkstalkers series consists of the following games (JP version names first, US version names second):

Vampire / Darkstalkers
Vampire Hunter / Night Warriors
Vampire Hunter 2 / (none)
Vampire Savior / Darkstalkers 3
Vampire Savior 2 / (none)

You get all the characters from the different games in the Vampire series, but after you pick each one, you have four choices as to the "version" of that character you would like to play. You get to choose whether you want to use the version of them that has the moves from Vampire, Vampire Hunter, Vampire Savior, or Vampire Savior 2 (an arcade-only refinement of Vampire Savior). It even allows you to pick versions of characters for games that they didn't exist in (i.e. you can choose the Vampire Hunter version of Lillith, but she actually wasn't selectable in that game). You do not need to pick the same version as your opponent, so you can play a Vampire Hunter version of a character against a Vampire Savior version opponent.

As an aside, it doesn't appear that Vampire Hunter 2 (released alongside the very similar VS2; both games were released in September of 1997 in arcades only) is included in any way, but that makes sense. As I understand it, Vampire Hunter 2 was just Vampire Savior 2 with a few characters taken out (Jedah, Bulleta, Q-Bee, and Lilith) so that it matched the character roster of Vampire Hunter.

My opinion of Vampire Chronicle is that it's a very good Capcom fighting game and it's excellent fun for people who are into Capcom fighters. I actually got into it because I was playing lots of Puzzle Fighter and Pocket Fighter. I already knew all of the Street Fighter characters, but I was curious about all the other characters in Puzzle Fighter & Pocket Fighter (like Morrigan, Lei-Lei/Hsien-Ko, Donovan, and Felicia). If you're a big fan of Puzzle Fighter and/or Pocket Fighter and you've played a lot of Street Fighter (but you've never played the Vampire/Darkstalkers series) then this game can be a fun expansion of your horizons.

The bottom line is that if you already have Vampire Savior for Saturn, you may not care to spend the money on Vampire Chronicle, but if you don't have a Saturn or don't have VS, it is a very well-done game that should be worth your time. And of course, if you're a big fan of the Vampire/Darkstalkers series, you'll probably want it either way.
icepick
rank 13
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:30 am
quote : #2
Thank you! I've happened to run across that title on a more-than-coincidental basis, and then happened to run across this thread. I've found it to be very, very helpful, and you've practically convinced me to seek out a copy of the game. Very Happy

Cheers!
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:08 am
quote : #3
i was planning on getting it, but from the looks of morrigan in all the capcom/street fighter cross overs, the graphics dont look too good. but still i always wanted vampire saviour for saturn so this is the next best thing
Posted:
Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:38 pm
quote : #4
i got vampire savior for the saturn. waht a bad ass game. wasnt cheap though.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux