Topic: VGA box

Page 1 of 2
hell-online
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:21 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Will the VGA box make the quake for DC look as good as it did on the PC? And is the Sega brand better in any way than the un-official brand, it said the un-official brand can hook up to the TV, and Sega's can only hook up to the PC.

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:23 pm
quote : #2
The appearance of Quake or any other VGA compatible game will improve when using a VGA adapter. However, I don't think you can do a side-by-side comparison to the PC like that. The PC appearance will largely depend on what resolution you're running and what the capabilities are of your video adapter and PC.

As for comparing the official Sega VGA cable with aftermarket adapters, I haven't seen or used the official Sega VGA cable, so I cannot speak for its performance. There are numerous aftermarket VGA adapters, and the quality and features of those are all across the board. I have a Treamcast VGA box, and it offers VGA, S Video, and composite video output. It allows VGA display of non-self-booting backups, and it noticeably improves the picture when compared to using S Video on my Toshiba TV.

How are my little crackers doing today?
hell-online
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:36 am
quote : #3
alright, i can not find a sega brand VGA box, so i decided to research some more, and i read that the 3rd party "performance" has the next best VGA box to Sega's. Is that true?

i also read that just about all VGA's have the same picture quilty, its just that segas was built the best....i dont get that, do they mean duribilty or something...i..dont..get it

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:35 pm
quote : #4
i got a fairly cheapo vga box the other day and as my monitor is very old i dont have sound, the vga simply replaces my av scart cable and connects to the monitor which has no speakers. is there any way of running the dc thru the pc onto the monitor? otherwise how do you control the resolution and get sound and shit? i need one of those red yellow white thingies that plug into the dc then your scart cable/vga cable plugs into that. however i did test it and i must say that even tho my monitors quite small it looked very very jiz worthy!! i tried halflife on it and omfg!! i need to try it on my brothers 17" lcd screen!!!! now i just need sound. any ideas? there are no other sockets on my monitor.

Posted Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:56 pm:

just seen this, it has audio written on it can someone explain how it works/what it does? it has a lot of stuff on it and if it will let me send audio to my hifi then im buying this baby pronto!! thats so frickin cheap!!! only £8!!!!!
Posted:
Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:50 pm
quote : #5
I think audio capabilities when using VGA output depends largely on whether or not you're using a simple VGA cable or a VGA box. I've seen some simple VGA cables that connect the Dreamcast to a PC monitor, but unfortunately, the cables I saw did not contain audio out plugs. The Treamcast VGA box that I use has audio output, so I can hook my amplified PC speakers or another audio source to my Dreamcast for sound.

Be careful when shopping for a VGA adapter, because you get what you pay for.

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:02 pm
quote : #6
sorry i forgot the links heres what i got=

http://www.lik-sang.com/image.php?category=223&products_id=4092&img=dc-vgacable

and heres what i've seen at liksang can you tell me what other things this one does? it seems to have a lot of features=

http://www.lik-sang.com/image.php?category=4&products_id=82&img=dc-vgabox-t&show=3
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:26 am
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-U/C
ultrapro wrote:
and heres what i've seen at liksang can you tell me what other things this one does? it seems to have a lot of features=

http://www.lik-sang.com/image.php?category=4&products_id=82&img=dc-vgabox-t&show=3

This is extremly similar to the one I own. I have a DragonCast 2 VGA adaptor. Basically on one side it has composite(yellow cable) and s-video along with standard red/white jacks for audio. Then on the other side it has the VGA out, along with a headphone jack stereo out. You can buy one of those cables that have headphone jack on one end, then red/white connectors on the other....to hook up to your stereo. Or even hook up some simple PC speakers to it instead.

This type of a VGA box is great because it doubles as an S-Video adaptor as well (if your tv-supports it). The really cool thing though, is see right in the front it has that PC / TV switch. This means you can have it connected to both a TV and the monitor and switch back and forth between the 2 depending on the preference you want to game on. However, please note, you have to make the switch, and then power on your dreamcast. You can't bounce back and forth while the system is running. Since when you power it on, it detects what video out to perform. If it's already switched to one mode, you can't bounce it back to the other without having to reboot the machine.
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:36 am
quote : #8
If you can score the performance VGA box go for it. Thats what I use it also has pass through port so you can leave your pc hooked up at the same time.
It also includes RCA type audio/video out and s-video. The audio also has a pass through so you can leave your pc speaker hooked to your pc and still use the on your DC. It automatically switches to DC when you turn the DC on and back to your PC when you turn it off . You can also switch from PC to DC manually and back with a overide switch.
The pelican VGA box is the best Ive found for Dc and I also have the official sega one but never use it along with a worthless pelican one. Stay away from the pelican ones they work well but literally fall apart after a few time of hooking and unhooking them up(NO PASS THROUGH).

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:25 am
quote : #9
ok well half those features dont really mean much to me, as long as i can connect a red and white line from the box to my hifi im laughing, thanks for the info
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:48 pm
quote : #10
I bought my Treamcast VGA box, largely because it was widely advertised as being the only one that worked with imports or backups that required a boot disc. It does work perfectly for these situations, but thinking about it gives me a question for all of you.

Do the other VGA boxes you have allow for the use of boot discs with imported games and non-booting backups?

Just curious. I'm thinking of getting a second VGA box, and the Treamcast boxes are getting hard to find.

deadmanshand
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:49 pm
quote : #11
i have a 3rd party vga box my self its a black one i tried hooking it up on my t.v. but i keep hearing this buzzing noise on the background.as far as testing on a p.c. monitor that i havent tried yet.

jgbean
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:03 pm
quote : #12
Yes all 3 of mine work with boot disc and imports. Yes even the official sega one.

hell-online
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:55 pm
quote : #13
well i was watching on ebay a official VGA box, but the seller on excepted credit cards Crying or Very sad , so i couldnt get it, but the price went to 50 bucks, damn. there was a performance one on before but back then i wasnt sure if it would work right or not, but i swear next time i see a performance one, i will win :twisted:

Posted Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:04 pm:

oh, can someone fill me in on how well this one works?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41059&item=8155343451&rd=1

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:03 pm
quote : #14
ok heres the scoop, i tried the crappy vga cable i linked to up in a previous post, its not a box one. anyway i tried it on my brothers lcd 17" monitor and it wasnt exactly stunning, the picture was clear but the graphics were blocky the ship in ikaruga looked like it was from an ancient pc game not a 2 year old revolutionary dc game, and the picture was shoved over to the right of the screen leaving an inch of space on the left. also the picture was very bandy, as in i could make out faint vertical lines on the picture. whats vga picture supposed to look like and was it simply the quality of the cable or are all vga's gonna give me half a screen missing?
Posted:
Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:04 pm
quote : #15
Type: NTSC-U
They have VGA boxes that let you connect PC speakers up to them right?