Topic: Cheating or not?

Page 1 of 1
U-235
rank 18
Posted:
Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:26 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
In our Starlancer game tonight we encountered an issue. Basically a player was one-hit killing us and was more difficult to kill than the rest. Was that person cheating? This poses and argument for us. They could have been cheating yes. But then again, maybe we were just completely showed up. All I know at this point is the frag count was very one sided from the very beginning of the game.

So, how on earth do we solve this problem? A cheater certainly won't admit it, and there's no way to prove for certain if that person was or not. This is certainnly a dilemma, and arguing in the middle of the game kills the atmosphere. Let me know your thoughts on the matter.

U-235

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:48 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
What ship was he using?

One ship that has HIGH defense and CRAZY attack power is Wolverine. It is possible for this person to completly decimate the competition if they use him the entire night. However, notice I said the word possible. If you know how to play StarLancer well, then you will be able to use any ships capabilities to take Wolverine down, IF you have skills. Usually Wolverine ships don't move much. They sit around waiting for someone to fly in for a close range attack, and use their high defense to repel oncoming fire, unleashing all their high powered shots at once on the enemy. Thus killing you very fast.

Speed and agility kills Wolverine.

What mode were you in?

I cannot for the life of me remember the modes name, but there is a mode where the central tower will kill everyone who doesn't have this specific beacon. Its like doom tower, or something I can't remember. The tower instantly kills anyone who doesn't have the beacon thing. I can't remember what its called.
Posted:
Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:56 pm
quote : #3
Well, we were in nuclear threat and in his defense, he did set the nuke off a number of times, so that explains the kill rate. and the wolverine's defenses explain why he was so hard to kill. Ok, I'm going with not cheating.

U-235

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:01 am
quote : #4
Extra bonus tip(and it makes nuke threat so much more fun!!!!):

Mine the center ring Smile Grab a beacon, then fly around and snag as many pickups as you can until you get a mine. Then fly through the ring, and drop the mine in the path of the ring. If the guy with all the beacons kills you, then he goes for the ring... BOOOM he's dead if he doesn't already spot the mine. Then swoop in and grab all the beacons, fly through the ring, and you score!

Cool
Posted:
Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:03 am
quote : #5
BTW, he was using wolverine in case you didn't figure it out. I wasn't clear enough on that. :)

Posted Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:19 am:

Hey Nikon, thank you for putting your two cents into this. Your post solved the issue in my mind. Bottom line guys, Let's not ruin the game atmosphere by arguing and slinging mud. We could have solved this in the game, but everyone left. We're in this for fun, right? So let's just have fun. We could have concluded this among ourselves guys, so I don't feel it's an issue anymore. Now that it's solved, I will publicly say... Jools kicked my ass in starlancer. He was just better than me, and I can admit that. Smile

U-235

maddmaxx
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:07 am
quote : #6
omg i missed the big game cause my boss keeped me till close thats at 3:30 when we leave the store boy was i mad but happy i got the hours i hope i can get in to a game some time

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:07 am
quote : #7
U-235 wrote:
Jools kicked my ass in starlancer. He was just better than me, and I can admit that. Smile

I know for a fact that jools did not cheat. I have played starlancer with him before. He is a longtime F355 Challenge player.

Here is his profile if you want to PM him:
http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=259
Posted:
Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:59 am
quote : #8
To clarify, I was not the one who accused him of it in-game. I was merely attempting to moderate the arguement. I was having fun until this went down. The other, who I will not publicly name, was pretty uptight about the issue. And I was also thinking... That was only my 2nd time playing online and my 3rd playing altogether, and I got 20 frags. When I master the game and run the frag count up will I also be accused of cheating?

Here's the deal, please don't accuse anyone of cheating unless you can prove it beyond the shadow of a doubt. If I'm in the game, I will look at both sides objectively and get to the bottom of it, and the answer may not be what you're hoping for. But, it's the only way to go about it. Like I say, let's have fun guys.

Anyway, is there even a way to cheat on Starlancer online? If there is, I don't know it and don't care to either. Last thing, I'll say this again. It's not cool for the rest of the players if someone *is* cheating, and it certainly sucks if you're getting accused of it and you aren't. In this case, he wasn't. Let's try it again, Jools. I don't mind getting stomped, but watch out for when I get better! Smile

Mertens
rank 14
Posted:
Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:42 am
quote : #9
U-235 wrote:
Anyway, is there even a way to cheat on Starlancer online? If there is, I don't know it and don't care to either. Last thing, I'll say this again. It's not cool for the rest of the players if someone *is* cheating, and it certainly sucks if you're getting accused of it and you aren't. In this case, he wasn't. Let's try it again, Jools. I don't mind getting stomped, but watch out for when I get better! Smile

I have heard this is some way to cheat, but I don't know how, and I've been playing for two years now. Besides, even if there were there aren't enough people who play to motivate somebody to cheat anyway. In the two years I've played, I've never even suspected anyone of cheating. There are a lot of ways to explain people who go on MAAAAD killing streaks. The first is usually the Wolverine. I've been in games with 5 Wolves vs. me in a Shroud.....lets just say a Shroud is made of paper compared to 5 Wolves. Then there's also mines and missiles, which are one-hit kills. Then there are times when you might have legitimate reasons for thinking people might be cheating. Like, if they take no damage even if you unload on them...i can guarantee it's because they have an invincibility powerup. Or, if a player seems to leave the arena or break any other of the "game rules" it's probably because you yourself are lagging. Usually you will just explode because another player has killed you while you are lagging (to them it looks like you are just sitting there).

I can also vouch for Jools if he is the one who went on the killing spree. He is a great player and been playing longer than me I think. I can probably vouch for every Starlancer player except for the few new OC players that I haven't played with yet.

Also, in Nuke Threat...the kill count can be a little decieving, because you can get up to 5 kills each time you set off the Nuke. There's a description of each game mode and how each one is out to kill you somewhere on this forum. Do a search or just browse the topics pages. [/u]

U-235
rank 18
Posted:
Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:21 pm
quote : #10
BTW, guys... I started this thread because the accuser stated that he was going to post Jools as a cheater here in the forums, and I don't think that is cool at all. Obviously, I stopped him from doing so. I'm sure there may have been some hot heads had he gone through with it. Notice I still don't use his name. You know who you are. How would it feel to be publicly named as a false accuser? That's why we don't post names like that on forums, man. Smile

jools
rank 8
Posted:
Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:30 pm
quote : #11
yeah it's kinda funny now. i was unaware the other 3 players didn't know what was happening with the nuke strikes, since they were collecting some beacons also. It was 5am for me and i wasn't very with it anyway.

Also the kills were at about 70/40 so not such a big gap. That's really good if you guys have just been playing a few times.

Naw Mertens, you're the best player i've seen. Different class from me altogether. In fact i was saying to U-235 that if DRIV3R thought I was cheating then he's in for a big shock when he meets you, or Starwalker. I'm just a weekend warrior, can't get much time online at the mo' but gonna try to make F355 and Starlancer next week. cya

Mertens
rank 14
Posted:
Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:10 pm
quote : #12
Man, today's game was fun. Jools did great again. I think he broke 100, and that was just in one of the multiple games we played. It just goes to show that anyone can be a great player once they get the flight experience and Jools is probably the longest starlancing player here at OC. And thanx for the compliment jools. It means a lot coming from great players who owned my ass today, lol.