Page Location: Home > Support > PC-DC Server > Topic
TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:26 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
So, I obtained a Win98 SE computer from a friend. My sole purpose for this machine was to act as a DC-PC server. I followed the guides at ConsoleVision and OnlineConsoles to a t (or is it tee? Confused). My first test with the DC-PC server was a success! I was able to connect to PlanetWeb free of hassle.

However, my attention soon turned to my copies of 4x4 Evolution and StarLancer. After unsuccessful attempts to connect through the PC itself, I began to investigate the swap trick. Located a sutiable phone cord, tested for a dial tone, and everything was in proper order. I have been swapping phone lines in increments of 5, 10, 15, and 20 seconds. Also, would it make a difference if the Dial-up Server was already in a Monitoring stage when I swapped the phone lines?

The furthest progress I have made with 4x4 Evolution has been to the Connection to ISP OK! screen, then it falters at the Authenticating... screen. Due to StarLancer's sparse menu design, I have been unable to really gague my attempts. During my 20 second run, I was able to have the PC modem send and receive data continously (up until this point, the PC had sent and received around 300 bytes of data), but the DC still was unable to connect. I have placed the PC on my router's DMZ, but I would be willing to run a direct connection to my cable modem.

As a wild card, I popped in my copy of PSO Ver. 2 (US-NTSC). Through just dialing to the modem sans the swap trick, I am able to get past the Dialing... screen and can view the lobby, though I receive a "The line has been disconnected due to a network error" message. Sounds typical of a game that has been down for three and a half years. Crying or Very sad

Maybe my timing is just off? Would logging into WinRoute Pro solve my problems (I usually just leave the program alone on the taskbar)?

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:13 pm
quote : #2
It sounds like a port issue. Log into WinRoute and in the section for port forwarding, forward 1-65535 to your Dreamcast's IP address (which for Windows 98, should be 192.168.55.2). Also, make sure you have the DNS settings on the Dreamcast correct. Set the primary DNS to WinRoute's DNS service located at 192.168.55.1.

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:42 am
quote : #3
Well... I've tried and messed with every variable I can think of, but still no luck. Tried forwarding ports, no dice. Switched the DNS from my ISP's to my PC's DNS, nada. Directly connecting to my cable modem proved unsuccessful. Any other suggestions? Would buying an external USB modem solve my problems?

EDIT: Well ladies and gentlemen, the show is over. After trying a variant of the swap trick (left the cord in the DC, swapped to the modem) and failing, I've concluded that it is a hardware issue outside of my control at the moment. The PCI modem I have must not be up to the task of delivering enough juice to my DC. Hmm... would running a cord to the modem's Phone slot, then running one out to the Dreamcast work? Tune in next time, for a possible special guest appearance by Mr. external USB modem! Neutral

Great Success!

EDIT 2 (4/21/07): My Dynex modem arrived at my house today. I was able to successfully connect to Quake 3 (though I cannot view the master server list), 4x4 (no issues) and StarLancer (no problems either) after a little trial and error. Have not tried Maximum Pool yet as I cannot find the backup and do not own a retail copy. Relatively smooth sailing tonight though after my last attempt at debugging the server. Very Happy