Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
Nitrospark
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:04 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Looking at getting an athletics game for when the friends are around. Had a look on ebay and the only 2 I can find are Virtua Athlete and Sydney 2000 Olympics.
If anybody knows, what are the maximum number of players on each game, and which game has the most events?
Thanks for the help!
Posted:
Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:15 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U
Virtua Athlete is the better looking game but things seemed awkard and is about zero fun for me. Sydney 2000 is a little less sexy to look at, but is much more fun. It is about on par with the original Track and Field 98 on the Playstation when it comes to button mashing. Both games support up to 4 players in single event or tournament modes. peace.
Posted:
Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:19 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
Nitrospark wrote:
Looking at getting an athletics game for when the friends are around. Had a look on ebay and the only 2 I can find are Virtua Athlete and Sydney 2000 Olympics.
If anybody knows, what are the maximum number of players on each game, and which game has the most events?
Thanks for the help!
idk about virtua athlete but im pretty sure Sydney 2000 is 2 player but could be 4. and i should note its not the best game in the world. if i remember correctly its one of the few DC games that cannot be tricked into working on a VGA monitor. and the controls were kinda bad.

if you mean sports by saying athletics go with a 2k sports game. they made the best of the sports games on DC. i think the ones people like the most is the virtua tennis series. even people that don't like tennis enjoy them.
Posted:
Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:11 pm
quote : #4
Virtua Athlete 2K got 2/10 rating back then and Sydney 2K got 5/10. Both games are 1-4 players.
Posted:
Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:19 pm
quote : #5
The third game not mentioned here, was a Japanese release by KONAMI called "Ganbare Nippon! Olympic 2000". Might want to look into that one also. I think I own this, but I havn't tried it out yet myself.

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:36 pm
quote : #6
lordnikon wrote:
The third game not mentioned here, was a Japanese release by KONAMI called "Ganbare Nippon! Olympic 2000". Might want to look into that one also. I think I own this, but I havn't tried it out yet myself.
do you know if it is any better than the other 2? idk about VA but i would not recommend he buy Sydney.

here is a video of virtua athlete. judging from this video it looks to be better than Sydney 2000.

i could not find videos for the other 2

i also found this it is a video for ESPN International Track And Field
Posted:
Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:36 pm
quote : #7
That's what I'm trying to say. Virtua Athlete looks better but is bug city. My buddy from school had Sydney 2000 and it was decent. If you can find it though, go with what gary_b found and get ESPN International Track and Field. It owns both Sydney and Virtua Athlete easily.

Posted Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:41 pm:

Nitrospark wrote:
which game has the most events?

Sydney 2000 has 12 events, Virtua Athlete has 7 and ESPN International Track and Field has 13

Posted Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:52 pm:

Here are the IGN Dreamcast reviews:

Sydney 2000
http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/164/164239p1.html

Virtua Athlete 2K
http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/164/164535p1.html

ESPN International Track & Field
http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/165/165151p1.html
Posted:
Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:46 pm
quote : #8
International Track and Field looks pretty good, I think I will hold out for a copy of that to appear, thanks for all the info guys! Very Happy
Posted:
Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:52 pm
quote : #9
Nitrospark wrote:
International Track and Field looks pretty good, I think I will hold out for a copy of that to appear, thanks for all the info guys! Very Happy
i see that you are in PAL region. you might want to check to see if the game was out in your area. if not you should look on ebay.com i just found 7 of them up for sale
Posted:
Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:03 am
quote : #10
ESPN International Track And Field, and Ganbare Nippon! Olympic 2000 are the same game it seems, just different names in each region.

Dreamcast4ever, please post some specific examples of why you feel Virtua Athlete is buggy. I have seen too many situations where people simply don't understand a games mechanics, and therefore consider it broken or bugger. There are legions out there who think VOOT is a broken game, because they expected it to play like a first person shooter.
Posted:
Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:09 am
quote : #11
Yep, just checked ebay.co.uk, 1 PAL copy of International Track and Field with a Buy It Now of £4.50, hopefully arrive in time for the weekend!