rank 37
Posted:
Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:53 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hey all,

I am happy to say I received mine today....very nice it is to Smile

I have a question though...is it wise to use a 110v power supply when the system itself (being Japanese) is 100v? I have tested it using a 110v stepdown (remember I am in the UK with a 220-240v supply) and there was no major problem but there is what seems to be a burning smell coming from the CX-1. The person I got it from hasnt used it much but when they did they used a 110v supply so just wondering if this might be causing the "burning smell" problem? I could be wrong and its just the normal smell of the system but I am very nervous about using the 110v supply if it's gonna reduce the life of the system

Any suggestions?

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:17 pm
quote : #2
Make sure your step down converter is rated to the right wattage. While the Dreamcast might work, you have to remember that the Divers unit is a Dreamcast and a CRT television (which uses a substantial amount of power (Upwards of 100W. The Dreamcast uses around 30W)). I would make sure it's at around 150W or 200W to be safe.

Everything is packed in tightly, so it could just be the plastic heating up (or any dust that got in there).

segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:21 pm
quote : #3
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
Make sure your step down converter is rated to the right wattage. While the Dreamcast might work, you have to remember that the Divers unit is a Dreamcast and a CRT television (which uses a substantial amount of power (Upwards of 100W. The Dreamcast uses around 30W)). I would make sure it's at around 150W or 200W to be safe.

Everything is packed in tightly, so it could just be the plastic heating up (or any dust that got in there).

Yeah the Divers 2000 is rated at 92w so a minimum of 100w is obviously required, but something along the lines of 150w would be better of course...the one I have used so far is 100w 110v just for testing, but still wondering if I would be wise to get a 100v adapter, which don't seem to be easy to get in comparison to the 110v supplies

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:33 pm
quote : #4
It probably won't make a difference. Most do it just because it splits the difference between US / JP, so it's not too bad. Can you find where the odor is coming from (like a vent, etc)?

segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:45 pm
quote : #5
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
It probably won't make a difference. Most do it just because it splits the difference between US / JP, so it's not too bad. Can you find where the odor is coming from (like a vent, etc)?

Yeah, thats what I am thinking..perhaps I am just being a little overly cautious, but still can't help but feel that I might be shortening the life expectancy...

As for the smell, it does seem to be coming from the vents at the back...for all I know it could be a standard smell for some reason on the CX-1. The seller said that they bought it brand new and only used it for a maximum of 30 minutes using a 110v 125w power supply, and I am pretty confident thats he's honest.

Dunno, it's an odd one...and there doesnt seem to be that much information about in regards to this, and what little info I can find seems to have varying opinions....oh well, probably just being too careful

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:48 pm
quote : #6
If it was only used for that short amount of time, it's likely that it's still that "new electronic" smell you get. I'd run it for an hour or two a day for a week (watch it carefully) and see if you're still having trouble with it.

segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:52 pm
quote : #7
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
If it was only used for that short amount of time, it's likely that it's still that "new electronic" smell you get. I'd run it for an hour or two a day for a week (watch it carefully) and see if you're still having trouble with it.

Yeah could be that...its hard to differentiate sometimes, between something that smells like its burning out and something thats just new...could be an idea to run it for a while and see how it goes...will probably look into getting a higher wattage power supply first though...be it 100 or 110v Smile

Anyway, thanks for your input m8, much appreciated Smile

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:20 pm
quote : #8
Type: Pal
Been downstairs to check you turned off the oven? Laughing

Laters
Posted:
Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:51 pm
quote : #9
Blast wrote:
Been downstairs to check you turned off the oven? Laughing

Laters

Har Har Smile but no I didnt..lol

Anyway, I have decided to go with the 100v step down in the end, just to be on the safe side....its 300va/watt transformer, so its more than capable of the job...cost be a little over £40 ($80) from the only place I could find one other than an expensive import on ebay:

http://www.airlinktransformers.com/transformer/ja0300-300va-japanese-transformer.asp

So that should be me sorted...I look forward to having a bit more of a play around with this lurvely machine Smile

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:41 am
quote : #10
Type: PAL
Hmm the closest thing I can compare it to is my Imac G3 (2000) Which is quite the same build,
However I rescued that from a skip and it had pools of water in it,
dried it out and when i started it it smelt funny for a few days.

However I think the smell was just of dust burning up in it.
If you ever leave something for ages then run it it tends to have a lingering smell.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:29 am
quote : #11
Well, received my 100v stepdown today, so I have been able to do a full test on the machine.

First of all, I am now fairly sure that the smell is just the fact that it is new, as it seems to have faded a bit today already, so I am not to worried about that now.

The only problem was when I tried to test the modem....nothing....so I got a torch and had a look through the transparent sides, only to notice half a standard Dreamcast inside..it's literally the bottom half of a Japanese Dreamcast stuck in at the top with all the controller ports diverted via mini controller extension cables etc. This was when I noticed the standard modem sat on the bottom of the unit...somehow it had fallen out, so I had to open up the CX-1 to put it back in place, after which, everything worked fine Smile

It's a great machine I have to say...very glad I have it...anybody else got one or intending to get one?

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:35 pm
quote : #12
I hope to acquire one someday Very Happy. I missed out on a boxed one that sold recently. Did you get the special edition Dreameye and keyboard with yours?

segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:42 pm
quote : #13
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
I hope to acquire one someday Very Happy. I missed out on a boxed one that sold recently. Did you get the special edition Dreameye and keyboard with yours?

Yeah, I got the full works...everything included...all in perfect condition, with all packaging, stickers, documentation, keyboard, headset, dreameye etc. The only thing that isnt totally perfect is the box, which has taken a bit of a beating from being shipped from Japan to the UK, then again to me...but still not too bad really

I will certainly say it's worth getting, and knowing that standard Dreamcast parts can be used in it is a definate bonus Smile Highly recommended!!

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:13 am
quote : #14
Does anyone know how the Dreamcast connects the monitor internally? I am speaking in terms of the final video quality output. It would be really lame to get one of these and have it display composite.