Page 1 of 1
Dalore
rank 10
Posted:
Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:29 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Does anyone know if there is a black BBA available? I want to update the modem in my Black sports DC.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:17 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Dalore wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a black BBA available? I want to update the modem in my Black sports DC.
can't you just swap out the shells? i did that for my model A modem. i didn't want my black sports edition to have a model B in it. i plan to sell my white Dreamcasts and keep the black sports one. so i swapped the white model B guts for the model A guts and presto i now have a black model A modem.
Posted:
Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:00 am
quote : #3
What's the difference between revisions of the modems, speed? And sorry to ask the obvious questions, but how do you tell them apart?

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:13 am
quote : #4
model A's don't need a line voltage inducer for PC-DC servers. you can tell the A from B by checking the sticker on the inside of the modem. all of the outside stickers say A so ignore the outside sticker. for example my outside sticker says (670-14082A) but the inside sticker says (670-14140B) meaning that this modem is a model B
Posted:
Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:33 am
quote : #5
I don't think a straight swap of the housing will work. After doing some searching it looks as if the BBA adaptor has a larger Ethernet style connection that will be to large for the smaller standard DC modem to house. Does anyone here have both to confirm?

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:24 pm
quote : #6
I'm thinking that you are right. you might have to modify the modem housing to make room for the ethernet plug. it would probably be easy to do with a file but idk if you would want to try anything like that? another concern would be the screw holes. it is very possible that the modems screws holes won't be aligned properly with the BBAs?
Posted:
Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:39 am
quote : #7
you would have to modify the connector piece of the casing, as the bba has a larger cutout. This may sound stupid, but why dont you take the casing off the bba and spray paint it black - I mean, if it really matters to you that it has to be black,......

And also, yes I have seen black bba's on ebay from time to time, but they usually go for more than the regular white ones ($200+).
Jabber ID: JJC5150@jabber.org
Dalore
rank 10
Posted:
Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:57 am
quote : #8
I think the R7 DC has a Black BBA as standard, does anyone know? Might look into doing a respray though, as the R7's are quite pricey!

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:43 am
quote : #9
The R7 doesnt have a bba as standard - only the units which were used in the pachinko stores as an internet station had the bba.

Its easy 2 deal with a black modem case - it ll take you only 20 mins. I have two left hands and all dumbs - but I did it 2.
Posted:
Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:03 am
quote : #10
By deal with do Mean you paint or mod the housing by widening the modem hole to fit the Ethernet port?

Last edited by Dalore on Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:16 pm
quote : #11
I used a black sports modem and a file (for the connection hole) - the screws ánd holes are the same. This looks simple better (more prof) as a painted ones.
Posted:
Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:10 am
quote : #12
Cheers and thanks for the info, I think that's what I'll do Very Happy