Page Location: Home > Game Organization > Topic
DC_Player
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:50 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I'm new here so I don't know much about where to find servers to play online, however after an hour or so of looking for a server that was still online I did stumble upon gametracker.com that listed a few North American servers, unfortunately there are only about 2 players on at a certain time of the day so I'm posting this in hopes of having luck finding people to play with regularly.

If there is a server that frequently has players online I'd greatly appreciate if someone could give me the IP address, but if not then perhaps we can pick a specific server to connect to then use that one. I'm not picky about game modes but my favorites are Free For All or Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag is fine also. I play pretty often and it will probably be almost on a daily / nightly basis.

Servers must be in North America as I don't have unlimited calling outside of the U.S., not sure if that matters with IP addresses but if it does it would be nice if someone could let me know. I've only had dial-up for a week and the last time we had it was over 10 years ago so I'm completely clueless in that area.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:42 pm
quote : #2
Configuring your Dreamcast Q3 with the following DNS settings will bring you to OC's master list for Quake 3 Arena:

Note that this could impact other games you are trying to play online, as it redirects Q3 and other games to OC's server infrastructure.

There are no additional charges for access to servers/IP addresses outside of the US over dialup.

Try to avoid plugging servers into gametracker as it leads to the server IP's getting scraped and the servers are used in Reflective DDOS attacks that can rack up a ton of bandwidth and cause high latency on the servers. (See the Q3 forum for more details on this subject).

To get players online to play with you have to invest some time to organize some matches and get people involved.
Posted:
Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:10 pm
quote : #3
Thank you for your reply, your information helps alot. The main goal of this posting was to organize an online match.

I have one other question, I had to find a free dial-up number in order to get online but the only one I've been able to get to work is one that's in California, I'm assuming this is the cause of my game lagging and it says my speed is very low in the servers. Do you or anyone else know where I can find a free dial-up number preferably around the central part of the United States?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:42 pm
quote : #4
Since this is a game organization forum, place tech support topics in their relevant locations. We try to keep this board pretty organized Wink Your question about dialup would go here:

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=44