http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/72.211.158.34:27960/
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:54 pm
quote : #2
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
How long have you been having errors for?
Also how many users were affected?
Did any other errors render other than "Could not find gamespy server"?
Is this error happening for old users who used to be able to connect just fine? or new users?

I am looking into it now, and I might perform a full reboot of the server.

EDIT: The IRC server which PeerChat connects to, and the DNS server seem to be operating just fine.

UPDATE: A complete reboot of the VM has been performed, and all services restored to operating status. Let me know how it goes.
Posted:
Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:02 pm
quote : #3
It ended up working okay once we all got connected =)
It just locked up sometimes when closing a game, And would get Error joining games and Error creating game messages.
Just thought a nice refresh could always help, i always refresh quake each week and planet ring needs refreshing too.

Thanks
Tact
rank 5
Posted:
Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:06 pm
quote : #4
We were trying to play again and it locks up for a few minutes when contacting gamespy , half the time it errors and disconnects. then when creating a game it locks up for a few minutes if it doesn't error, and we're still having a lot of errors joining and creating games. Will try again another time
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:04 pm
quote : #5
This was a common problem even when GameSpy was still online officially.

Patterns I have noticed on official gamespy servers:

• The game is slow to connect.
  • Getting disconnected as a host, means you have difficult finding/seeing the game you were in prior to getting disconnected.
  • It can take a while for servers to show up in the list.
  • 6 game player counts really stress the match, especially if the host has poor bandwidth.

Later on in Starlancer's lifespan I was noticing very long connect times, with "cannot reach gamespy". It would take a few tries for me to connect.

These also seem to persist in the new private server.

A connect time of about 2-3 minutes just to reach the master list successfully is common, and getting into a created game can take 30 seconds sometimes.
Posted:
Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:20 pm
quote : #6
Yes we alllways have problems taking many tries to connect to the internet that's a problem with the game. like in 4x4 and pool too.

We used to play starlancer dozens of times online when GameSpy was still online and as long as it connects to the internet and connects to gamespy we never had any problems like this sorry. Games showed up pretty quickly, and never froze for 5 minutes when creating or closing a game. Never really had error joining game unless there was a forwarding problem.

Sorry to say but we had about 5 of us trying for hours and hours to play a game sadly unsuccessfully. Every one of us were getting constant errors creating games and none of us could join each others games when they did show in the list. The odd part is that when only One of use is online at at a time can create, and close games with no problems. Then when others connect if a game shows in the list they can not join or create another game, Only one of us can create a game at a time. The game would freeze for 5 minutes at a time when closing a game. Never had these problems back then =\

Maybe the internet itself these days is just screwed for old games like this.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:24 am
quote : #7
Thank you for the details Tact. You are correct, the wait times to interact with the master list is indeed a bit longer than the official gamespy setup. You guys are only having problems with the master list right? Once in-game, the gameplay should be okay as that is peer-to-peer (assuming a player does manage to get into the game).

This is my experience using the new Starlancer server:

1 vs 1 game attempt:

• I am using a real paid dialup ISP, Player 2 is using a PC-DC server.
  • I connect... this takes a while, maybe 3 minutes for Starlancer to sign online.
  • I reach the master list.
  • I create a game... this takes a while, another few minutes (whether creating or joining another players game this step takes a while... be patient and let the game sit there trying to connect)
  • Eventually, I am in the game lobby.
  • Once the player enters, chat works.
  • I can start the match, and once in-game, everything is pretty smooth.

You should have a similar experience with just 1 vs 1. Can you create a game, have 1 person join (nevermind 5), and at least say "Hello" via the chat in the created game lobby?
Posted:
Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:53 am
quote : #8
We tried every which way we could. No one could join each others games. Like I said we were trying for a few hours last night. haha xD

Even when there was only just myself and one other person trying it wouldn't work. One of us could create a game no problem but the other would get error joining, and also could not create a game while I had one up. Then I close the game after five minutes of waiting Then he can create a game no problems but then i couldn't join or create. But one other person got on later and could create a game which we saw in the list but we couldn't join and while that game is on we could not create another game, instant errors right until the other person disconnected, then I had no problems creating and closing games were instant.. ya when I'm online by myself I could create and close without problems hmmm
What are these errors ? Whats it say on your server there? =\ I don't know how this server works anyway maybe if one person has a connection problem it messes it up for everyone.

A few days ago me and a different person that was testing their pc-dc Did have a successful game once we got connected okay. With 3 people.
He had a lot of those errors at first and I told him about port forwarding, He said he got it worked out once we got connected he could join the game with no problem, but now I'm wondering if he actually fixed anything or if it was just these normal problems and we got lucky lol we need to test again.
I need to get another person to test with that I know has also played starlancer before without these problems. As long as I could connect to gamespy and my port forwarding was okay everything worked okay.
I used to have these problems before I port forwarded. I could see a game in the list but could not join error, and also could not create error. hmmmm
I do recall port forwarding didn't even work on my main modem/router so I had to disable the firewall anyway. I still use the secondary router's firewall for my pcs.

Thanks for your help I will try again with someone I know it worked with. ^^
Dan12343
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:16 pm
quote : #9
Type: NTSC-U
I too have not been able to connect using netopia

Tact
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:44 pm
quote : #10
I still need to do more testing with some people that know it works fine, We Have played successful games on starlancer before =)
I'll let you know what we figure out.