Page Location: Home > Quake III Arena > Topic
-=Pennywise=-
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:08 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Since i cant get online working for DC, i decided i would get a copy of Q3A for PC and was wandering if u mind me plying on pc with you guys?

If some one could give me a server every1 plays on mayb i can meet you all!
Posted:
Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:20 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I personally am kinda of against PC users on the DC network. If everyone starts using their PC's then its not really DC online gaming. Thats why there are PC servers.

I guess i figure the whole point of dreamcast online gaming is...to play online with a dreamcast.
Posted:
Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:30 pm
quote : #3
i know man, its nice to know people still want to play on the dc servers but WHY??? i mean it really ruins the play, most of the pc guys i've played against mod the maps and levels and really screw it all up, its not fair, go back to the pc servers and stop ballzing up the dc ones, i cant go 5 minutes on a q3 game without logging into a modified server. it gets on my hairy man tits man
Posted:
Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:23 am
quote : #4
Im not gonna modify anything i just wanna play the game and thought it would be nice to play with you guys.

but fine forget it
Posted:
Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:29 am
quote : #5
SOMEBODY HAS TO BE ON PENNYS SIDE!

look penny if ur going to host a SERVER and ur PC has BBA connectivity then thats a good thing, and I for one would like to play u on quake 3 while ur on ur PC cause ur adding a new server to the DC quake3 gamers,

but if ur gonna join a server and or host one with a 56k connectivity then thats uttertly usless, ur better off with the dreamcast
Posted:
Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:34 am
quote : #6
Thanks Evil!! Very Happy

Yeah I have broadband connection, but im nt sure how often i can host if u give me dates and stuff i could give it a try.

Im very new to Q3A was fragging online for the first time last night......great fun!
Posted:
Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:29 am
quote : #7
Type: PAL
I'm not against PC players playing on DC servers, because that's one of the great things of Quake III DC, the possibility of DC and PC users playing together thanks to the DC map pack. But if you play with a PC with broadband against a DC user with modem try to play with similar conditions of the DC user, adding lag to your connection (it can be done with a command) or setting the maximum detail possible to the PC version because the framerate is better on any PC actually.
I played a lot of time ago with DC (BBA, keyboard and mouse) against some PC users and won) Smile

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:36 pm
quote : #8
It allways makes me fumed when I play against someone with the PC version on a broadband connection using a keyboard and mouse, while I am cruising along at warp slow on my DC's 56k and my gamepad.

I know I'm not so good, but it's even worse when I am handicapped by someone with superior hardware.

In all honesty, I would prefer playing against DC players, but we can't stop a PC player from logging on. If you absolutely cannot get your DreamCast online with Quake III, then at least drop your framerate and increase your lag using console commands so that everyone is on a level playing field.

The reason I don't play Q3 on my DC all too often anymore is I cannot seem to find a decent (non-modded) server with other DC gamers.

DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:42 pm
quote : #9
Einhander wrote:
It allways makes me fumed when I play against someone with the PC version on a broadband connection using a keyboard and mouse, while I am cruising along at warp slow on my DC's 56k and my gamepad.

I know I'm not so good, but it's even worse when I am handicapped by someone with superior hardware.

In all honesty, I would prefer playing against DC players, but we can't stop a PC player from logging on. If you absolutely cannot get your DreamCast online with Quake III, then at least drop your framerate and increase your lag using console commands so that everyone is on a level playing field.

The reason I don't play Q3 on my DC all too often anymore is I cannot seem to find a decent (non-modded) server with other DC gamers.

well your argument is almost point less a DC player can get a BBA and a mouse and key board... but PC users seem to always do better so keeping them sperate seems best, but still penny has every right to play its just a game and he wants to have fun on it too... if he is using a 56k connection then he is playing the same as me, but im on a DC with mouse and keyboard

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:26 pm
quote : #10
I know that, and I didn't explicitly say that he couldn't play (it's not my place to say soemthing like that, unless it was my server), and I asked that if he did play, that he level the playing field by lowering his frame-rate and increasing his lag to accomodate his superior hardware setup, because the vast majority of DC Quake III players do not have a BBA, keyboard, or mouse.

I don't think that I (or any DC Quake III player, for that matter) should be forced to track down and purchase hundreds of dollars worht of extra hardware to have an enjoyable gaming experience. I don't know about you, but in my area, I'm lucky to find a gameshop with employees who even know what a BBA looks like, let alone have the ability to order one. DC keyboards and mice are of mythical status around here, asking around for one is like the proverbial hero in the adventure story questing for the magical key that will unlock the dragon's lair. Online purchasing is not an option for everyone.

All I ask is that if you absolutely must play on DC servers without a DC, that you try to even out the advantages, to make gameplay fun for everyone.

Don't get me wrong, I think the more people playing on DC servers the better, because good, active games can be hard to find from time to time, but I feel that unfair advantages don't belong on DC servers.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:27 pm
quote : #11
I really think the big thing here is. Gaming from the PC is convenient for those paranoid and non-tolerant of lag or the dc setup. I fear gamers will all start using their computers to interact with the community rather than putting in the time and effort to get a dreamcast actually online.

Then eventually there will be more people gaming from their PC's on dreamcast servers than users on their dreamcast's.

Personally I own a dreamcast BBA and a mouse and keyboard. When I play with mouse and keyboard against users with controllers yea I do score a bit more however sometimes i get beaten. Users on a BBA don't really have that much more of an advantage. I have played against a lot of dreamcast gamers here on Quake 3 sessions and people have never thought my DC BBA to be too much of an advantage. Plus I never really get to concerned about the score anyways. I realize everyone is on a drastically different hardware setup.

Eventually I do hope to get a valid controller setup because I have been enjoying playing my FPS's on my PS2 and would like to get a controller with a movable analog on the right hand side, since I like to look with the right analog on ps2.
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:23 pm
quote : #12
Einhander wrote:
I know that, and I didn't explicitly say that he couldn't play (it's not my place to say soemthing like that, unless it was my server), and I asked that if he did play, that he level the playing field by lowering his frame-rate and increasing his lag to accomodate his superior hardware setup, because the vast majority of DC Quake III players do not have a BBA, keyboard, or mouse.

I don't think that I (or any DC Quake III player, for that matter) should be forced to track down and purchase hundreds of dollars worht of extra hardware to have an enjoyable gaming experience. I don't know about you, but in my area, I'm lucky to find a gameshop with employees who even know what a BBA looks like, let alone have the ability to order one. DC keyboards and mice are of mythical status around here, asking around for one is like the proverbial hero in the adventure story questing for the magical key that will unlock the dragon's lair. Online purchasing is not an option for everyone.

All I ask is that if you absolutely must play on DC servers without a DC, that you try to even out the advantages, to make gameplay fun for everyone.

Don't get me wrong, I think the more people playing on DC servers the better, because good, active games can be hard to find from time to time, but I feel that unfair advantages don't belong on DC servers.

good reply I know what you mean ... ya lower the frame rate and stuff would made it more fare... like that idea

-=Pennywise=-
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:47 pm
quote : #13
yeah well i would really love to own a BBA for my DC but its proving very hard to find and the ones i do find are very expensive, it takes a while for me to save up....
It dosent matter ill play with the guys on PC, I hope that one day i can play DC with all of you!