Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
SpeedDemon.Z
rank 5
Posted:
Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:59 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hello everybody! I am finally back from my long hiatus due to me having severe computer issues.

So, anyways I would like to start off a new topic about the creation of a Sega Dreamcast External Hard Drive.

Now, honestly to me I think it sounds really cool. I mean imagine playing homebrew, emulators, and offical games from an External Hard Drive.I think this would allow for many new possibilities for the Console.

I was thinking that it could be similar to the Sega Dreamcast SD Card Reader in the aspect of taking advantage of the serial port on the back of the Dreamcast. Now, would this mean it would also be compatible with Dreamshell since the External Hard Drive would utilize the same port? If that is the case all we would have to do is develop a cable from the External Hard Drive to the serial port.

Note: Developing such a device is completly out of my hands since I am not the technological wizard I wish I was. Laughing

Now, this is where you guys come in. I would like to here your thoughts on the creation of a Sega Dreamcast External Hard Drive.
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:05 pm
quote : #2
With the SD card adapter wiring it up seems possible and I bet speeds would be much faster with an HDD then an SD card. I think it would have to be a USB hardrive. Seeing as how you can plug a SD card into a usb port with an adapter it should work the other way around.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:01 am
quote : #3
People have tried wiring the DC to have an IDE interface, and have been successful. There is a Japanese site that gets into this in great detail. It is pretty complicated to say the least. I don't know if it will ever be something that the every day user can implement. Usually this has been done to bridge the DC to use a HD for netbsd or linux. Here you can see a site that does this:

http://www.fuzzymuzzle.com/Kiyoshi/IDE_HDD.htm

a larger pic here:

http://www.fuzzymuzzle.com/Bitmaster/DC_IDE-HD_Interface.htm

As SD card's increase in speed, it might become a non-issue. You can already buy 256GB SD cards. Although, they are quite pricey. The 128GB models are much more reasonably priced.
Posted:
Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:45 pm
quote : #4
There are a few people currently working on this with varying degrees of success and collaboration. A few guys at Assembler Games, Deunan of Makaron, and at least a couple more at DC SWAT.

Their inspiration is the WODE (Wii Optical Drive Emulator), and aim to replace the GDROM Drive entirely. There isn't much documentation that I'm aware of for how GDROM access works, so I wouldn't hold my breath. But it's at least comforting to know that there are people on various sides of the world tinkering away at this dream for the rest of us.

Until then, keep that GDROM Drive clean.
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:14 pm
quote : #5
I think there is a lot of merit in getting DC games to run off a hard drive. Simply because the GD-ROM lasers have been known to burnout (though possibly due to high usage of games burned onto cheap cdr media).