Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:21 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Several months after it originally surfaced, the ToeJam and Earl 3 beta has been released to the community over at Assembler Games. Simply burn the image to a blank disc and you'll be ready to play.

The only known issue at the moment is that the further you progress, the higher your chances are of experiencing a lockup. Levels 1-9 are stable, but levels 10 and above are prone to lockups. If you can make it past level 12, consider yourself lucky. If you happen to find any other issues, please be sure to make a post and let us know.

Wargo
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:13 pm
quote : #2
Nice. I'll have to check it out. How was the gameplay?

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:23 pm
quote : #3
Wargo wrote:
Nice. I'll have to check it out. How was the gameplay?

Surprisingly polished. I ended up playing for over an hour, if that gives you any indication. My advice is to use the map sparingly, as excessive map usage can lead to early lockups.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:16 am
quote : #4
Mytho you got it working on the Dreamcast?
Posted:
Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:55 pm
quote : #5
Yep, I got it working on a Dreamcast. The only program that worked for me was DiscJuggler. Both Alcohol 120% and Imgburn gave me duds.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:09 pm
quote : #6
Awesome that is great Smile Glad it boots properly. I was getting a bit worried there that the release was semi-borked. Good old discjuggler to the rescue.

How is the framerate?

EDIT: The news has reached Siliconera!
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/27/toejam-earl-3-dreamcast-unofficially-released/
Posted:
Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:43 pm
quote : #7
Here's a link and video...
http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/29/5253498/toejam-and-earl-3-dreamcast-beta-surfaces-online

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:13 pm
quote : #8
lordnikon wrote:
Awesome that is great Smile Glad it boots properly. I was getting a bit worried there that the release was semi-borked. Good old discjuggler to the rescue.

How is the framerate?

Smooth for the most part. There are some dips here and there once you progress further, but it still remains very playable.

Wargo
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:07 am
quote : #9
After watching video very impressed with game. Very similar to one on the Xbox. Makes me wonder if there's any other dc stuff floating around out there. Lol

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:22 am
quote : #10
A large portion of the dev kits that have been acquired in the US have been from Visual Concepts, which was Sega's in-house North American sports devision. Really they were a 3rd party company that Sega more closely aligned with at the time to build the 2K Sports games. Visual Concepts had a diverse portfolio during the 16-bit era. However DC onward they mostly did all sports games. But, Visual Concepts work on 2 games probobly got them in the door to work on Toe Jam & Earl III. Those games are Floigan Bros and Ooga Booga. Both of which have a more colorful, creative look and feel than any of Visual Concepts other games at the time (all sports).
Posted:
Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:44 pm
quote : #11
I didn't realize Visual Concepts made those two games. Ooga Booga was decent for the time I rented it. Flogian Brothers got rave reviews but suffered the same fate as Shenmue and not seeing the complete series on the Dreamcast since Flogian Brothers was episode one.

Wargo
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:15 am
quote : #12
Was curious. My computer crapped out on me. Any chance I got get a burned copy off anyone? Is this coop or single player?

Tappro
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:37 am
quote : #13
will have to check this out toejam was always a favorite on genesis of mine Smile
Posted:
Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:35 pm
quote : #14
Has anyone played this all the way through?