Page Location: Home > Classic Sega > Topic
Xiden
rank 5
Posted:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:51 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hey folks, im pleased to announce that me and Segarpgfan over at dctalk have succesfully managed to get Sega Saturn NetLink up and running finally with VOIP adapters!

I wrote a guide over the weekend on how to set it up. All you need besides a NetLink is a 13 dollar voip adapter Smile

Here is a link to the guide: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8453

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:52 pm
quote : #2
Type: PAL
That's amazing!!

How is it over VOIP?

I remember talking to someone on this site about it only really being functional between Saturns that were fairly local to each other. This should make gaming with it actually practical!
rank 5
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:18 am
quote : #3
mcmonkey wrote:
That's amazing!!

How is it over VOIP?

I remember talking to someone on this site about it only really being functional between Saturns that were fairly local to each other. This should make gaming with it actually practical!

Im in texas and ive played someone in minnesota and nebraska using this new method. Connections seem about the same.

Racing games work perfect, only run into an occational hiccup or two sometimes it just runs perfect.

We have recently got bomberman running pretty close to lag free theres a minor lag u can see but its very playble and fun. Sometimes it with have hiccups as well too. Netlink is old tech so I cant imagine it ever being perfect but we can try to get close.

Duke nukem seems to work well, it does also have a little lag going on also. For co-op I could see this as a good solution, for death match its still very playable but if your expecting a lag free experience you may not enjoy this one quite as much. For me personally I didnt mind it but the person I was playing duke with wasnt too thrilled lol.

Virtual On works but suffers the most from lag issues from my testing. Ive completed a few matches with it but its one of the more touchy games that requires a solid conection. Again if you dont mind lag its playable. This one certianly is the most lacking experience so far, though still tweaking voip settings to improve the experience.

Overall racing works pretty much perfect, bomberman is getting close to perfect, duke for the most part plays with a little lag but not too bad from my experience. And virtual on still needs some work but if you dont mind the lag its playable.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:54 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Xiden wrote:
...Overall racing works pretty much perfect...

The 10 copies of Daytona USA CCE Netlink Edition that I scored at a local thrift store sure will come in handy then. Wink