Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:21 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
What are some of the great import games that are worth getting? I live in the US, and I'm becoming intrigued by good games that weren't released here.

I have Headhunter and Shenmue II already, but that's it. I'm looking for games that don't require an extensive knowledge of Japanese. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

How are my little crackers doing today?
DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:14 pm
quote : #2
Well in the last 3 years the top 8 I can think of would be these:
Shikigami no Shiro II
Psyvariar 2
Puyo Puyo Fever
Ikaruga
The King of Fighters 2000
The King of Fighters 2001
The King of Fighters 2002
Border Down

those are from Japan ...

for UK the only other one I can think of then HeadHunter and Shenmue 2 is Evil Twin, as most games released there (like 96%) where also released in the US

deadmanshand
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:18 pm
quote : #3
you can also try these:

guilty gear x
giant gram 2000
fireprowrestling d
capcom vs. snk 2

martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:43 am
quote : #4
Also, there's "Rez" from Europe. You can get the Japanese version (and you'll probably be fine) but the EU version is nicer since it's all in English.

It's a "unique" game, to say the least, but even if you don't like it, you can surely sell it for the same price you bought it from.
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:45 pm
quote : #5
also try frame gride, while it is mostly in japanese it is the best looking and handling mech fighting game around, it runs incredibly well and the robots you make are awesome, the best bit is there are 4 extensive guides some lovely person did and it makes playing it (even with all in japanese) a doddle, the menus are very clear to begin with with the title screen and main menu being in english, faqs for frame gride are below:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/dreamcast/file/frame_gride_questions.txt

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/dreamcast/file/frame_gride_a.txt

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/dreamcast/file/frame_gride_manual.txt

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/dreamcast/file/frame_gride_manual_2_2.txt

and for info on the game check out here:

http://www.gamespot.com/dreamcast/action/framegride/index.html
Posted:
Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:38 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
martianviking wrote:
Also, there's "Rez" from Europe. You can get the Japanese version (and you'll probably be fine) but the EU version is nicer since it's all in English.

It's a "unique" game, to say the least, but even if you don't like it, you can surely sell it for the same price you bought it from.

This game is pure audio-visual heaven. I was captivated by it the first time it went into my Dreamcast. Make sure you have a good sound system or a pair of headphones, plus a rumble pack. It really adds to the experience.

Newer PAL versions are reported to give errors on US Dreamcasts, even if you try different boot discs. I heard DC-X works nicely. But if you want to avoid this dilemma, just go with the Japanese version.

-Mytho

martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:25 pm
quote : #7
Oh yes, it'd be a shame to play Rez without a rumble pack. You'd be missing easily 20% of the game. (Remember, the PS2 version even had a USB mouselike "trance vibrator" module that was an extra "rumble pack" just for Rez.)

And can somebody tell me again why Sega insisted on referring to it as a Jump Pack?
Chris5687
unknown
Posted:
Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:39 pm
quote : #8
You may wanbt to try Segagaga and Napple Tale. The bad part the are text heavy and are real hard to do without Japanese knowlegde. I am hoping so much decent guides come out for thes e games...esp. segagga. I downloaded that, looks awesome...can;t find out how to do anything.

Tao
rank 15
Posted:
Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:29 am
quote : #9
Yeah, SegaGaga has always been enticing to me; when I get the money, I really would like to pick it up. Oh, and Chris, kinsukeJP wrote some FAQs on SegaGaga.