Page 1 of 1
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:47 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I was thinking lately, about StarLancer online. This might be difficult for some people but I think it would make the experience a little better while online. StarLancer's main drawback online is the never ending battles. There is no sense of rounds or sessions in the game because its like one enormous drawn out dogfight. This is another reason why the game tends to run its course after an hour and a half or so.

Here is what I propose that would help this. Set a kill limit. Lets say 30 kills, then after everyone heads back to the lobby. All users must stop gameplay and then head back to the lobby.

You could even name the games "30 Kills" or "60 Kills"

This would create more of a goal in the game, and a score to aim for. It would take a bit more organization however I bet it would really make the games funner.

ANOTHER idea I have is stats tracking. Someone could write down the game stats at the end of each round. This could get wierd, however if done right could be a really really really awsome idea.

See I could set up a page for StarLancer leader boards and allow someone to administrate it. Basically all you would have to do is on each regular event, at the end of a round write down each user's:

-Kills
-Deaths
-Games Played
-Games Won
-Average Kills Per Game
-Average Deaths Per Game

Now your probobly thinking "man this would be hard cause I would be recording random users joining". Well we could do it like this. There could be a signup sheet where users could post thier Dreamcast OC Registered name, and also their nick on StarLancer. This way you would know who's score's to record into the stats sheet. Hey, if you have a digital camera, you could just take a photosnap of the games final score on the tv, and then can screw around with recording them later after the nights games are done with. Rather than having to furiously write down the scores.

This is a mighty task, however if someone would like to take on this endevour, I just know this would drastically strengthen the StarLancer community and bring a new level of competition and creativity to the games and matches online.

Let me know what you guys think. I think some of these ideas could easily be used.
Posted:
Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:19 am
quote : #2
Ummm... I don't even own StarLancer yet, but I think it's an awesome idea. It would only serve to enhance the game and it's community link, as long as you had a trustworthy photographer... Cool

You guys ought to get some StarLancer clans going, work up a storyline, this way the battles would have more of a purpose. Instead of deathmatching, your team could be avenging the brutal assault on one of your company's cargo carriers a month prior, or a mining corporation could have hired a mercenary army to quell a riot among minors on a certain asteroid (Red Faction rip-off), with the minors commandeering the ships that were docked on said asteroid...

I don't know, I don't have StarLancer yet (it's on my to-do), but I think that might be a cool idea. Feel free to make fun of me if I don't know what I am tlaking about, however.

martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:06 am
quote : #3
That does sound like a good system. It might get people more motivated about it, too.

I'm in.
DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:47 pm
quote : #4
This sounds like turning fun simple vdieo game playing into a chore, while it would be nice this is more like work then anything.

martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:16 pm
quote : #5
I don't think you're a good candidate for the scorekeeper, then. Very Happy
DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:54 pm
quote : #6
lol Mr. Green

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:12 pm
quote : #7
Yea manually managing a stats system would be some work, but if there was someone who was only into play starlancer and wanted to get into it, I think it would be a good idea.

If anything I think the Kill count idea would be good, then games would have more of a goal rather than this huge free for all.
Posted:
Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:16 pm
quote : #8
I like the idea and am able to take a digital picture when the game is done. I can post all the information in a running Starlancer Stats topic however, math is not my strong suit and I am likely to screw up the calculations.

Also, it would be more difficult, but the game type should also be considered. Think about it. In Nuclear threat someone could get up to five kills at once, whereas in deathmatch only one at a time.
rank 5
Posted:
Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:57 pm
quote : #9
Hi Everyone!

Here's my 2 cents...

I really wish that instead of everyone squeezing into one game at the same time that more games would be run at once with fewer people in each game. In other words, instead of 5-6 people being on the same game at once and the playability suffering like crazy it would be great if there were different games occuring at the same time and as people logged on they could choose the game that they wanted to play. It seems that every single time I log on it's either the asteroid deathmatch (this is fun)or the beacon/ stargate game (which I personally hate.) I haven't even had a chance to try out the other 4-5 games that are available. I am all for the above mentioned stat keeping, etc, but I would really like to push for more people online and more than 1 game going at once. I think that variety in the Starlancer online games is what is ultimately going to attract more players and get a larger online community. I have been on a lot of time when obvoius newbies log on and only stay on for a short time before logging off. If we can give new players some variety and perhaps an easier time to start we should be able to dramatically increase the online presence.

Any thoughts/comments/rants?

Douglas

P.S. On an unrelated note.....sorry I missed last week's Saturday game Freshcut...you're going down big time this weekend (Ha Ha Ha!!!) Smile

: