Topic: Looking for a good FPS game

Page 1 of 2
freshcut_t70
banned!
Posted:
Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:23 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I'm looking for a good 1st person shooter for DC, i've played Kiss:Psycho Circus and plan on buying Quake 3 since i bought a keyboard recently. I already own Rainbow Six 1 and 2. Tell me what you think is the best and why.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:28 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Quake 3 Arena, Unreal Tournament, and Outtrigger

Also known as the big 3. (well atleast thats what I call them)

Quake 3 Arena is still online, great graphics, tons of customization
Unreal Tournament has 69 maps!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about replay value, all types of in game mods too!
Outtrigger is amazing. Gorgious hi-rez graphics and the framerate stays dead spot on at 60 frames per second. Also this game is a DC exclusive, so the only place to play it.....is on the DC.

I could rant for prolly 10 pages about these games, so I just decided to keep it short. Can't lose with any of these games.
Posted:
Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:30 pm
quote : #3
in wot order though m8 Wink
banned!
Posted:
Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:33 pm
quote : #4
I recently seen Maken X for sale at my local used game store for 12.99 and will probaly get that after i pay through the nose to get Quake 3. These game stores know you'll pay a hefty price for the good/rare games since GameStop doesn't carry DC games anymore. This is a good reason to have an Ebay account.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:55 pm
quote : #5
Yea I would have mentioned Maken X, but I havn't had the luxury of playing the game yet. It's actually on it's way right now from play-asia. So I should be getting it this week.

Oh I totally forgot. Get Half-Life if you can download it. Looks awsome on the DC.
Posted:
Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:18 pm
quote : #6
maken is first person, but it isnt exactly a shooter. ive got a little through the game, and all ive had was swords, still a GREAT game.
and all of nikon's selestions are indeed must haves. but id start with quake.
oh, and i dont reccomend soldier of fortune. load times form hell and controlls can be iffy.

btw, hows kiss psycho circus? its pretty cheap.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:51 pm
quote : #7
Maken X great ... Ha don’t waste your money and read some reviews about this game before you get it ... its not worth more then $5 why:
-The ear tearing dubbing it horrid and so unrealistic u think some hooker got drunk and recorded it for them
-Lame plot (as it was said its not a FPS you never use a gun and it has a real plot which FPS don’t have, but it sucks) ... maybe its Japanese version had a better plot , that was when you were still fighting Nazi's not like in the US port which you fight some “bad guy”... it screams lame and reminds be of those early 90’s ninja movies where they fight some random bad guy! They could have made it a mafia or something with the US port but they instead made it trash
-Graphics, The characters could have been much better and look N64'ish (but a little better in the texture department) and the levels are down right trash can you say HEXEN (old 3D game, that is actually fun, not like this game ... hell hexen had better looking levels and it came out in 96’ I think)
-Music once again this game doesn't just fall short it crashes and burns! I don't like listening to bad generic techno for 30 hours as your to beat the same damn level over and over again (London was so hard) and I think you will not either
Avoid this game at all costs and don't listen to those ppl saying its good cuz its NOT
o ya here is a link http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/197848.asp im amazed it got 72 it should have gotten a 60% or lower ….

Stick with UT, Q3 and OT they are the best believe me this game doesn't even come close to there greatness... Kiss seemed like a ok FPS but I never bought it, I think I will looks good

freshcut_t70
banned!
Posted:
Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:49 am
quote : #8
Kiss:Pyscho Circus is a game that you'll like the first time through, but thats about it. The graphics are good and a lot enemies inhabit the screen at one time. Control is diffiult at first but with practice becomes second nature. You can beat this game unlike MDK2 (see my other post about MDK2) and is about a 6.5 out of 10 if i were to rate this game. If you have a PC then you can pop in Kiss:Pyscho Circus in and get some screen savers and some cool images from the game.

DRBagabundo
rank 15
Posted:
Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:26 am
quote : #9
Outtrigger
Unreal Tournament
Quake III Arena
Maken X(sort of FPS)
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:51 am
quote : #10
I just got my copy of Maken X. The voice acting blows, the cut scenes are gut wrenching to sit through.

The graphics are awsome though, very clear and fluid. Very Fun Gameplay. The control scheme is similar to metroid prime. Lock On, with strafing around opponent, and L trigger can be used to look around, while analog stick is directional.
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:02 am
quote : #11
maken x is fantastic!!!! i cant believe you didnt like it, its sound is a bit raw but everything else is great, you do still fight nazis and dictators and it has awesome controls and originality, did you do any brain jacking? how awesome is that??? you can take over loads of different people, get different weapons and moves and the best part is that you effect the flow/story of the game depending on who you jack. one level sees you running thru a plane, now its going down so you either stay as the current character, or jack an engineer, now the current one doesnt know how to fly the escape pod so he crashes in some european country or something but if you pick the engineer he knows how to fly it and you end up somewhere completely different. the graphics are wonderfully smooth and colourful and its got good music. trust me, ive played a lot of dreamcast game (170 to be exact) and i know when something is crap, this is not. the story is a bit far fetched but then what game from japan has a coherent script throughtout?

and again i disagree with some one about soldier of fortune. this game is great, ok your right the loading times are disgusting, but the graphics are great, the weapon equip system and use method is awesome and the general thing is very authentic, the levels are original and long lasting and the violence is incredible. if you shoot a guy in the gonads he doubles over in pain clutchin his balls. if you shoot a guy in the knee he hopes around holding his knee. its incredibly good fun and wouldve been brilliant with online functions. both highly recommended.

as many have said, outtrigger is your best bet, quake for begginers or casual fps gamers, outtrigger is ROCK hard at some points.
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:29 pm
quote : #12
No no, don't get me wrong, re-read what I said ultra. I love Maken X it ownz. I just think the voice acting is horrid, and the character animation in the cut scenes is equally horrid. The actually gameplay and the sound and the graphics are spot on. It has DnB in the game :]

Yea Outtrigger will grow hair on your chest. Outtrigger is one of my favorite First Person Shooters of all time. So clear, so fluid, awsome game design. One of the most original FPS's of all time.

START!
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:03 pm
quote : #13
sorry man i wasnt pointing that at you ni, i was aiming that more at dreamcastmagic. he had a lot of bad things to say about maken x, its great, and outtrigger is awesome
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:48 pm
quote : #14
ok so whats the best, overall, fps, just wondering (besides, UT, Q3, OT)?

martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:23 pm
quote : #15
I used to think that Outrigger was some sort of ocean canoeing game. Mr. Green