Topic: DC light gun

Page 1 of 2
Katmai
rank 1
Posted:
Thu May 27, 2004 5:40 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I never owned a Light Gun so i though of getting one for the DC - is this a good idea ? and how many (good) light gun games were released for the DC ? the only game i know is house of the dead.

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Thu May 27, 2004 5:51 pm
quote : #2
definately a good idea, house of the dead 2 is an awesome game and so is confidential mission, i love the graphics of hotd2 and the game its self has many modes and extras, and con mission has loads of varrying tasks to do, its probably the most original light gun i have seen yet. buy a gun, its well worth it!
Posted:
Thu May 27, 2004 5:55 pm
quote : #3
There are just a handful of DC light gun games, but they are very entertaining and worth the effort. I purchased a Mad Catz Blaster, which has the Sega endorsement on it and is very similar to the offical Sega gun that was issued in either Japan or maybe Europe. It works extremely well and seems to be accurate.

Anyway here's a list of light gun games I know about, and I'll put an asterisk next to the ones that I actually own:

* House of the Dead 2 - Great port of the arcade game
* Confidential Mission - Ditto. It's a very entertaining spy shooter (think 007)
* Death Crimson OX - Sammy produced horror shooter similar to, but not as good as, HOD 2
* Virtua Cop 2 - Arcade classic shooter is available
Death Crimson OX 2 - I think this was released only in Japan. I haven't played it, but I am trying to locate a copy of it.

Silent Scope was not designed as a light gun game for the Dreamcast. Although, there is a light gun being sold in a few shops that is being marketed as Silent Scope compatible. Has anyone seen this or been able to confirm it? Silent Scope with an actual gun would be fantastic.

Anyway, those are all of the gun games that I can think of, but there could be more. Can anyone think of any other Dreamcast gun games Question

How are my little crackers doing today?
Echo1
rank 3
Posted:
Thu May 27, 2004 6:30 pm
quote : #4
I picked up my official Sega light gun about six weeks back for £4.95. A sturdy piece of hardware that's very accurate and great to use on the above games - I do only have HOTD2 and Virtua Cop 2.

One thing that I should point out. The official light gun will only work with Japanese and European games. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with ANY US games at all. I have Death Crimson Ox 2, Con Mission and HOTD2, all US and non of them work with it.

Is the Mad Catz light gun worth a purchase, kingofgrills?

Katmai
rank 1
Posted:
Fri May 28, 2004 4:32 am
quote : #5
Thanks for those infos, especially the thing with the official Sega Lightgun US problem, mine should be able to play US games so i look out for the mad catz one, or are there problems too?

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Fri May 28, 2004 11:16 am
quote : #6
Echo1, the MadCatz light blaster rocks! The Mad Catz gun is I think just one of a couple of light guns officially endorsed by Sega in the US. If you see a picture of the Mad Catz version, it is virtually identical in appearance to the Japanese and European Sega guns, so I suspect they might be the same gun or at least share the same components.

Keep in mind that while the arcade stick and racing wheel were released in Japan and Europe packaged in Sega boxes, they were released in the US by Agetec (endorsed by Sega). Sega could have taken the same approach with the light gun in a deal with Mad Catz. That's just a guess on my part.

Anyway the Mad Catz gun is very well built and highly accurate. It seems to regularly go for around $22-$29 on eBay. I need to pick up a second one at some point, because it's great with your friends and for parties.

How are my little crackers doing today?
Dark Slayer 5000
rank 13
Posted:
Fri May 28, 2004 11:53 am
quote : #7
Yes, the Madd Catz gun is excellent. I bought mine when Toy's R Us was having a Dreamcast accessory/game clearance for $10 brandnew. Very Happy

StatusJones
rank 1
Posted:
Fri May 28, 2004 12:47 pm
quote : #8
the madcatz gun is pretty good - i picked one up so i could play the shooting game bit in demolition racer

Echo1
rank 3
Posted:
Fri May 28, 2004 7:40 pm
quote : #9
Thanks for your replies. I'll keep me eyes open for one on ebay. Very Happy

Stark Rhavyn
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:06 pm
quote : #10
I recently bought two used light guns from a local chain store called GameXchange in Springdale, Arkansas for $12.95 each.
I've only played HOD2.
One was a Madcatz and the other was a mini gun that I'm sure who the manufacturer is.
The minigun is very comfortable to use, has it's own rumbler and auto reload and auto reload + fire, but it's not as acurate as the bigger madcatz gun which also has auto reload and fire.
Also I've noticed that when both guns are auto firing at the same time the Madcatz will fire continuously while the minigun will fire only four rounds at a time then pause for split second. Once the madcatz gun stops firing the minigun works just fine.
I'm thinking about getting one of those wireless "Bio-Gun"s. They show up on ebay every once in a while, plus a some of the import game stores sell them.

Posted Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:15 pm:

By the way, I got to the Emperor in HOTD2 and it was a completely black screen. I thought this was normal (in an effort to make the final boss really hard) but then I looked up some faqs on Gamefaqs and none of them mention that the Emperor is in a completely dark room. They talk like you should be able to see him well enough to find his weak points. Are there any special conditions that make it so that you fight the Emperor in a dark room? Or did my DC just mess up on me?
banned!
Posted:
Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:25 pm
quote : #11
I wanna get House of the dead 2, is it like those games at the arcade where you just point the gun at the screen and shoot at it and it moves by itself or is it a game like quake 3: Arena? I heard its better with the light gun anyways, how is it used in the HotD2 game?

Currently playing: Phantasy Star Online ver. 2 Character: Racast- Snow Blind
deadmanshand
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:39 pm
quote : #12
i have this game my self i got it for christmas a few years back and i was lucky to get the whole package mine already had the gun and the game on the same box and the gun was made by pelican its got all the fancy stuff that you'd expect for a light to function except this one can vibrate im not sure if the other light guns has this funtion.and the it has a full version of the house of the dead 2.i dont think youll see this anymore on the stores at all since there kinda hard to find with them both in the same package youll usually see a loose one somewhere on youre nearest game stores if your lucky.and concerning about other games that plays light gun for dc you can also play the light gun on:
demolition derby no exit - i think thats was the tittle one of the mini games there is where they have this cars going stright at you and you shoot them with the light gun before they crash into you Evil or Very Mad

Posted Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:49 pm:

Stark Rhavyn wrote:
I recently bought two used light guns from a local chain store called GameXchange in Springdale, Arkansas for $12.95 each.
I've only played HOD2.
One was a Madcatz and the other was a mini gun that I'm sure who the manufacturer is.
The minigun is very comfortable to use, has it's own rumbler and auto reload and auto reload + fire, but it's not as acurate as the bigger madcatz gun which also has auto reload and fire.
Also I've noticed that when both guns are auto firing at the same time the Madcatz will fire continuously while the minigun will fire only four rounds at a time then pause for split second. Once the madcatz gun stops firing the minigun works just fine.
I'm thinking about getting one of those wireless "Bio-Gun"s. They show up on ebay every once in a while, plus a some of the import game stores sell them.

Posted Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:15 pm:

By the way, I got to the Emperor in HOTD2 and it was a completely black screen. I thought this was normal (in an effort to make the final boss really hard) but then I looked up some faqs on Gamefaqs and none of them mention that the Emperor is in a completely dark room. They talk like you should be able to see him well enough to find his weak points. Are there any special conditions that make it so that you fight the Emperor in a dark room? Or did my DC just mess up on me?

mine doesnt do what youre trying to describe in there but the problem may have been either the game it self or your dc.

Last edited by deadmanshand on Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:18 pm
quote : #13
yeah its like time crisis, its a light gun game mate just point and fire, only hotd2 has lots of stuff in it, extra paths and different characters and hidden endings and shit, very cool game and the graphics are awesome
Posted:
Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:21 pm
quote : #14
well i got a lightgun, hotd2,heavy metal, and doa2 for $15 hotd2 is a great game. but my lightgun which is a small orange one thathas pretty much all features, has one prob. i have to stand 7in close to the screen or else shots wont register :'( my lg is made from yobo or gobo gameware. great i made.got agood deal

DRBagabundo
rank 15
Posted:
Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:10 pm
quote : #15
It's Yobo. They make some really cheap accessories.

I've owned the Pelican Stinger Gun & the MadCatz Dreamblaster and they both worked awesome with House of the Dead 2. In my early dreamcast collecting days, I never had a forth controller so I used the Pelian gun for Virtu Tennis. It worked great.