1, 2, 3  Next
[UKR]DreamcastUK
unknown
Posted:
Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:03 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hello there

I have checked the Online Games list but there is only 3 games that I supported by LINK 2 DC's togehters how can that be when there is 3rd party support for the LINK?

Surly Sega Rally 2 Has it like the arcades where it races across each screen Smile LINK PLAY READY HEHEHE

well we are having a big DC LAN EVENT in NOTTINGHAM UK 10 Dreamcasts LINKED up with F355 / VO / Aero if you are based in the UK and have a dreamcast come along but yet us know so we can buy a extra link cable..

how many can the 3 games link ?? and can we all link together and go online aswell as 10 users?

Last edited by [UKR]DreamcastUK on Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:10 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
It's a serial cable that links the 2 Dreamcast's together. Only 2 dreamcasts can be linked together. I'm not sure how many players can play between the 2 systems....meaning....split screen over 2 systems. Like if you wanted to have 4 players on 2 systems via split screen. I have the DragonCast DC VS link cable and it works great. It does not use internet protocols, so you don't need a hub or anything. It just links the systems together directly with a single cable. It's pretty awsome. I really wish more games would have supported it. If unreal tournament had supported that would have been incredible. Oh...or outtrigger even. Man that would have been great.
Posted:
Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:30 pm
quote : #3
yea well its going to be a great event this sunday Smile

the thing is you had to press X+Y on the menu on f355 to even get the link mode up if you was playing on 50hz don't know why that is...

well we have loads of DC LINK cables so we are going to see how many link together but you sure its only 1v1 DC's? if thats the case theres no prob with that..

SEGA Rally 2 would of worked really well..

The following Games I think should of been linked...

Daytona 2
Sega Rally 2

both arcade style Smile Smile
well we all have 56k modems in them so we may all connect online Smile Smile so sunday around 9PM you may see another 10 F355 players Smile

ps why was Daytona USA on: DREAMCAST GAMES w/ SWAPABLE GHOST FILES (3) the other day??
Posted:
Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:47 pm
quote : #4
[UKR]DreamcastUK wrote:
well we have loads of DC LINK cables so we are going to see how many link together but you sure its only 1v1 DC's? if thats the case theres no prob with that..

Well the cable has 2 male connectors.....1 on one end...and then another on the other end...

Then each dreamcast has 1 female port on the back. So after you have connected....1 end into the back of one dreamcast, and then the other end into the other dreamcast.......then there really isn't anything else you can do.

So I am 100% sure you can only have a maximum of 2 dreamcasts connected. Should be common logic.
Posted:
Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:52 pm
quote : #5
ok is there any third patry items which have more then one male and female connectors? because surly they didn't make the game to support only 2 players linked?

ps why was Daytona USA on: DREAMCAST GAMES w/ SWAPABLE GHOST FILES (3) the other day??
Posted:
Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:56 pm
quote : #6
[UKR]DreamcastUK wrote:
ok is there any third patry items which have more then one male and female connectors? because surly they didn't make the game to support only 2 players linked?

The Dragoncast VS Link Cable allows for TWO Dreamcasts to be hooked together. Potentially, you could hook up two DC's with multiple players on them and play with more than two people, but I'm not sure.
Posted:
Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:59 pm
quote : #7
[UKR]DreamcastUK wrote:

The only acbles available connect a maximum of 2 dreamcasts. This is how it was designed. No hubs or other cables were ever released that would provide anymore connectivity other than between 2 systems.

[UKR]DreamcastUK wrote:

It's in the online games list for the pc users template but not the dc users template yet. Just needs to be updated thats all.
Posted:
Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:10 pm
quote : #8
ok man... i mean have you gone through ALL ? the games to check to see if there is more then 3 LINK up games??

ie PAL games ?
Posted:
Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:58 pm
quote : #9
someone needs to get the link games online.

Once upon a time, the xbox did not have the live service, but allowed people to link systems via hubs / ethernet and play games with multiple systems. some creative folks made an app that read the packets the xbox was putting out, compressed the HELL out of them, and sent them over the net to the same program on another machine, which decompressed them and sent them to the xbox there.

My theory is that with a serial to PC cable, an application could be written to act as a "middle man" hoisting the data over the web, and in turn, "emulating" the dreamcast's serial port.

I do not know what the data rate is on the serial port, but I imagine that, being serial, it is probably capped around 128k. with compression you could slip that through a 56k connection (maybe), as I doubt they cared about compresssing the data between the systems. however, the latency would probably be a major issue, which means this would be reserved for the broadband users, if it were t happen.

The big question is, woul the (somewhat) little effort that would go into this app be worth it for the games that it would (possibly) enable?
rank 5
Posted:
Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:46 am
quote : #10
appar there was a warez version of Daytona USA by Drastic which had link-up pal support. (I did a search on google for DC link games and there is an NFO etc).

So maybe its in the Pal version just need a key combo like VOOT or F355
Posted:
Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:26 am
quote : #11
qatmix wrote:
appar there was a warez version of Daytona USA by Drastic which had link-up pal support. (I did a search on google for DC link games and there is an NFO etc).

So maybe its in the Pal version just need a key combo like VOOT or F355

Wow! That's news to me! I'd like to get a copy of that. The only ones I've played link up are F355, VOOT, and Aerodancing F (jap). Are there any other games I'm missing that I should know about?
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:19 am
quote : #12
Syndalis wrote:
someone needs to get the link games online.

Once upon a time, the xbox did not have the live service, but allowed people to link systems via hubs / ethernet and play games with multiple systems. some creative folks made an app that read the packets the xbox was putting out, compressed the HELL out of them, and sent them over the net to the same program on another machine, which decompressed them and sent them to the xbox there.

My theory is that with a serial to PC cable, an application could be written to act as a "middle man" hoisting the data over the web, and in turn, "emulating" the dreamcast's serial port.

I do not know what the data rate is on the serial port, but I imagine that, being serial, it is probably capped around 128k. with compression you could slip that through a 56k connection (maybe), as I doubt they cared about compresssing the data between the systems. however, the latency would probably be a major issue, which means this would be reserved for the broadband users, if it were t happen.

The big question is, woul the (somewhat) little effort that would go into this app be worth it for the games that it would (possibly) enable?

waffle makers don't cook pancakes

Posted Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:22 am:

[UKR]DreamcastUK wrote:
ok man... i mean have you gone through ALL ? the games to check to see if there is more then 3 LINK up games??

ie PAL games ?

No I personally did not go through all the hundreds of dreamcast games to see what games were link compatible.
Posted:
Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:16 pm
quote : #13
so basicly there could be more then 3....

if you like i have 87 PAL games here i will test them if you want and see if it works on 50hz by pressing X+Y on title screens and on 60hz
Posted:
Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:54 pm
quote : #14
I don't think "X+Y" is necessarily a universal code to enable any link commands on games that may have it, so you'll probably have to do a little more experimenting than that. Testing your PAL games would be good confirmation for us and appreciated.

If there is a version of Daytona out there that is link enabled, I'd like to see it. I do recall reading in IGN that Daytona was originally being developed with link capability, but it was stripped out of development when Sega decided not to support the link cable in the US market.

All well, I also have the Dragonlink Vs Cable, and Ferrari F355 by itself is worth it.

How are my little crackers doing today?
M1Savage
rank 12
Posted:
Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:29 pm
quote : #15
Warning: Playing F355 via the link cable makes playing it online afterwards a very frustrating experience. Why? Because the whole time you're sitting there watching the ghost replays you're thinking to yourself how cool it would be to actually race against others online instead of just being on the track by yourself. If only they could've pulled that off.....