Topic: Dreamcast Magazine ODM

Page 1 of 2
BulletBob
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:10 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
is it legal to back-up the dc magazine discs, i only have one, but if it isnt to far past the law maybe we could let everyone with a dc have a copy of the mag discs, they are demo discs, it should be legal, and i think everyone with a dc should have them, someone on irc wanted me to make pdf's of the mag itself but i dont know about that, #1 coping books seems worse than coping cd's to me, #2 my scanner sucks, its in my printer i would have to rip my precious book up, but to me it sounds like the perfect addition to planet dreamcast or DC online, any thoughts?
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:54 pm
quote : #2
I dont think giving evreryone backup copies is a bad idea i would do it but you know dont want to get my as sued to japan. And i was thinking of starting a dc magazine every month we can bring a new mag out with demo discs and stuff what do you think?
Join my site
BulletBob
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:03 am
quote : #3
i think its a great idea, i dont think sega would give a crap about mag discs, im not sure who published it, but i doubt they could gain any further monatarys from the mags, the mag barley made it past the one year mark. Were you thinking of an online mag?
rank 4
Posted:
Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:53 pm
quote : #4
Type: NSTC-U/C
I forget where it was posted, but someone is putting together a homebrew DC mag with a disc. I am just too tired to search for the thread right now. I am not sure when it is coming out or if it is out yet.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:56 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
You mean the demo game discs that came with the US Official Dreamcast magazine? In-fact I just ordered an 8 disc set of them off ebay too Very Happy Got them for a pretty good deal. I think its ok to distribute demo discs...i mean they are promotional demos. So.... Seems ok to me. :]
Posted:
Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:01 pm
quote : #6
so are the odm demos you guys got the same as the ones i got in the uk? cos i have every one of them all 22 released, they are superb. i especially love the grandia 2, pso and shenmue demos.
Posted:
Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:09 pm
quote : #7
ultrapro, do you mean the movies? I don't recall any playable demoes of Grandia II, PSO or Shenmue (but the movies for the last two were impressive as hell).

The favourites among my group were those of Fur Fighters, Virtua Tennis, and (for a time) Red Dog.

Miraglyth - FOnewm - Level 34 - Bana Level 127 - Egg Blaster +19
[C] Mildi - HUcast - Challenge - C3 Next (Target: 48")
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:16 pm
quote : #8
sorry i meant the clips. i really loved the movie for stupid invaders as well, what a hilarious game. i miss those days. dreamon they were called.
Posted:
Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:31 pm
quote : #9
Does anyone know of a case where Sega sued anyone at all, anywhere in the world for making or distributing backup copies of dreamcast games, browsers or demos? I sure dont. I know of one or two instances where someone recieved a cease and desist letter from Sega concerning a customization project of Dreamkey, but that was in 00 or 01... My point is, as rampant as piracy is in this scene, its safe to say that either A: Sega could care less or B: Sega is not interested in wasting its limited funds on legal battles with Joe Pirate. I will not deny that these actions are illegal, yes even demos because they are still copywrited material and distributed on media that can only be backed up on media of a different type (see DMCA), but lets be real. If the shit were to hit the fan, it would have hapened long ago with kalisto and company....which sega threatened, but never took action upon. I say rip them puppies and share em. Their gettin a bit hard to find, and I'd love to see the dreamon demo discs.
Posted:
Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:37 pm
quote : #10
Hey Is it alright if i ask sega if we can star our own magazine, about dc and send demo disc with them to other gamers.? Should i ask or would i get in some trouble for askin if we can burn demos and start an online magazine?
Join my site
braze2032
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:00 am
quote : #11
Does anyone here still have the VHS that came with the very first ODM in the UK? I remember it being pretty cool, like virtually cutting open the Dreamcast and showing its insides etc...

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:58 am
quote : #12
come on man thats my damn avatar, sheeeesh how often does this happen. anyway. i can scan the uk covers on to my pc if anyone wants to see them? i can email them but can host em.
Posted:
Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:16 pm
quote : #13
davidjr1989 wrote:
Hey Is it alright if i ask sega if we can star our own magazine, about dc and send demo disc with them to other gamers.? Should i ask or would i get in some trouble for askin if we can burn demos and start an online magazine?

You could ask, but their answer would be a resounding no.
Posted:
Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:21 pm
quote : #14
LordNikon u should put those discs up on the site to download. I dont know if u can legally do that but its worth putting out there.
Posted:
Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:22 pm
quote : #15
braze2032 wrote:
Does anyone here still have the VHS that came with the very first ODM in the UK? I remember it being pretty cool, like virtually cutting open the Dreamcast and showing its insides etc...

I've got two VHS's that I got before the DC was released. One from pre-ordering the DC itself and one from the "0th" issue of ODM. I remember the preorder one was the collection of adverts (which is kinda redundant, since you've already ordered by then, but I guess it was meant to pass around), but I don't recall watching the magazine one, because I thought it was going to be the same video.

Vou've intrigued me now. I know where they both are still, so I'll have to watch them sometime to see if there is a DC dissection in there anywhere,

Posted Sun Aug 01, 2004 20:24:

stacykeiblerfan69 wrote:
LordNikon u should put those discs up on the site to download. I dont know if u can legally do that but its worth putting out there.

I'm not sure it'd be viable, space-wise. They may not be full games, but a collection of playable demos and movies is still going be a substantial size.

Miraglyth - FOnewm - Level 34 - Bana Level 127 - Egg Blaster +19
[C] Mildi - HUcast - Challenge - C3 Next (Target: 48")