Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
Stormwatch
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:06 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Chaos Field, arcade shmup by MileStone Inc., is confirmed for Dreamcast and Gamecube, december '04. Very Happy
Posted:
Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:04 pm
quote : #2
thanx man we all knew it was in the pipe line but didnt know if it was definately coming to dc. i have been waiting for someone to give us a release date for that game, it looks excellent. i cant wait for it and baldur force exe, those 2 will make my collection 193, gundam side story 0079 is on its way and i am trying to get hold of puyo puyo fever and giga wing 2, thus making 195. 5 more and i pass 200 wooooohoooo.
Posted:
Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:22 am
quote : #3
That's unbelievable! December?!! If that date holds, I could practically explode into a bunch of heart-shaped Jell-O "jigglers." Cool

Back when the game was released in arcades (May 25th, I think), I calculated the time frame of when the game could be announced for DC, but somehow I never imagined that it would actually be announced for this year... It's starting to sink it. This pretty much makes my day. It'll never happen, but, if Triangle Service surprised us and brought Trizeal to TGS 2004 with an announcement of a DC release, I will literally stand in the bathtub and pee in my pants. Thankfully, that will likely not happen unless they pull a Success and make an announcement a mere month after the arcade release that the game is slated for a DC release (with a sale date of two months after that), as with Psyvariar 2. (This hypothetical scenario would place Trizeal next to Chaos Field for a December 2004 release, not unlike Psyvariar 2 and Puyo Puyo Fever...)

At any rate, I'm going to shout out a big "thank you!" to MileStone, Sega, and anybody else involved. This is great news! And, ultrapro; That is one serious collection. I hope that you play all of them on a fairly regular basis! Wink
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:49 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Yea I had been tracking this game ever since I first heard about it. The developers had mentioned in the spring that their 'goal' was to get Chaos Field released commercially on the Dreamcast. However this was just talk. no official word on an actual release was confirmed. And I totally freaked out earlier when I read news that the game was actually going to get released.
Posted:
Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:22 am
quote : #5
yeah man, thanks, i am off this week and have been playing all my favourite import titles (for me imports are ntsc) i just beat psyvariar 2 the other day for the first time (ok it was on easy but its a start right??) anywho, someone should post in here when a shopping site ie: liksang gets a pre order on their store
Posted:
Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:10 pm
quote : #6
Hey lordnikon, you and me both. Cool

I'm still waiting for the update to the MileStone site on the 17th, but, I do believe it could be time to break out the bubbly. I had kind of a bad day yesterday, so, I'll just think that you freaked out enough for me.

ultrapro, Play-Asia has it open for pre-order. Click here. (Blatent promo! Laughing )

I've put an order in myself, already -- Not that I have any money right now, but, they don't charge until it ships, so, I have at least a couple of months to put some money in my account. I can't wait to play this one, it's so cool that it's coming to DC in December! It's neat that a GC version is coming out too, and that it'll be out two months after the DC version. Mr. Green
Silent Marauder
rank 6
Posted:
Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:28 pm
quote : #7
Holy friggin' CRAP!!

See, this is why I like Thursdays.
Number of DC games owned: 43 and counting

Currently obsessed with: Mr. Driller
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:14 am
quote : #8
yeah i need to place orders for both, if your sure they dont charge until shipping then i'll preorder both chaos field and baldur force exe thru playasia.com as liksang charge when you put the order thru, i paid for psyvariar and shikigami both in like december 03 and they didnt come till like april 04!! using lik sang that is
Posted:
Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:40 pm
quote : #9
Yea whats so great is, both the Dreamcast and the GameCube are import friendly. Can use the freeloader boot disc with gamecube. So it makes this game just that much more accessable to gamers everywhere. I want this amazing naomi shooter to get into the hands of as many gamers as possible. Regardless of the system. Specially if they are taking the time and money to release this on the beloved Dreamcast. I think maybe I should write up a letter, and everyone here can sign it and add a comment and I can email it to milestone thanking them for taking the initiative to bring this title to the Dreamcast. I think it would be a good gesture and warm thank you to a company that takes pride in their work.
Posted:
Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:58 pm
quote : #10
I would absolutely write up a sincere note of appreciation and send it to you for inclusion... I've been wondering about something, though -- Do you think that they would be upset that a bunch of westerners are importing the game from Japan; the target market for the game? Would they see it as us taking something away from their intended audience (if it is indeed only gamers in Japan), or, would they not mind it so much? I mentioned this to someone before, and they replied with what I hope would be the actual answer (that they would love it, that we love it), but I still have that nagging feeling.

Perhaps I'll mention in my note a small apology in case they do have such thoughts, and also mention that if I was able to go to Japan to play the game in arcades, then I absolutely would...

And, ultrapro... I ordered from Play-Asia, and for some reason the card (PayPal) didn't work, so I said "well I'll sell something so that I can get some money in the account" and closed the browser window... and the order still went through (although it's "waiting for payment")! I'm not sure if that means anything, but, I'm pretty sure that they don't charge to get you in the preorder line! Cool

This is an awesome Chrismas present. Wasn't KOF 2001 or something like that, originally released for DC around the holidays? That's what I've heard...
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:20 am
quote : #11
icepick wrote:
I would absolutely write up a sincere note of appreciation and send it to you for inclusion... I've been wondering about something, though -- Do you think that they would be upset that a bunch of westerners are importing the game from Japan; the target market for the game? Would they see it as us taking something away from their intended audience (if it is indeed only gamers in Japan), or, would they not mind it so much? I mentioned this to someone before, and they replied with what I hope would be the actual answer (that they would love it, that we love it), but I still have that nagging feeling.

Nah they are hoping people import this game from all over. In-fact that was grev's original intention with Border Down. They are releasing these games because they are counting on not just people in japan ordering them. The release of Border Down started it all. The game had very good sales and tons of letters were sent to grev. They even put up thank you notes and some of the letters sent to them up on the grev website. Letters from all over the world. They were very pleased with the fan support.

Shootemup development companies are very small. The fact that Border Down made a successull launch on the Dreamcast spurted all the other shooters released recently to follow suit. This solidified the Dreamcast as a viable market for these small companies to released their product onto. Shootemup diehards all now own dreamcasts because of the recent surge in shooter relases. The Dreamcast now has a target demographic for shooter releases. Not only this, but the Dreamcast's own massive fan support is spawning purchases by gamers who were never shootemup fans to begin with. Just because its a 'new' release on the DC.

So all in all it really works out for these small companies. So I don't think they would get offended by thank you letters from companies outside of japan. About 50% of the game sales are from importers.
Posted:
Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:57 am
quote : #12
lordnikon wrote:
Nah they are hoping people import this game from all over. In-fact that was grev's original intention with Border Down. ...

That's great to hear... I mean, what would I want more than to tell these developers about how much I love their games? I do remember reading one of those letters (and responses) in the G.rev mailbag which I thought was very cool, but, I wasn't sure about whether or not it would be a common sort of "attitude" amongst these developers...

I also didn't know that; About G.rev intending for people to import the game -- Nor did I know that MileStone were planning a DC release all along! I suppose that is why everyone seemed so sure that it would get a DC release... And, I could even be considered as one of those people that weren't into the whole "scroll shooting" thing (at least as much) before learning about these new DC releases, so, I suppose that in this day in age, developers for NAOMI/DC do indeed have a pretty sweet welcoming party for their works. Wink

Well, I hope that Chaos Field sells extremely well, and that perhaps MileStone decide to work some more with the NAOMI/DC... Speaking of which (not to bring the topic off-topic, but); I keep hearing that G.rev is supposedly working on a new NAOMI title, although I for some reason thought that they were working on a PS2 title -- Have you by chance heard anything about that? I suppose that they'll probably announce/show it off at TGS in five or so days, but, I would be positively thrilled if "the rumors were true." Chaos Field would hold me off until next August, though, man... if not longer! Cool
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:58 am
quote : #13
yeah i was in that boat aswell, i had never had much love for scrolling shooters but when i heard ikaruga had been released after the dc's demise i began looking for more titles and low and behold they were excellent games and were still being released. so as a die hard dc fan i bought pretty much any that came out. i cant wait for chaos field and baldur force and would think that letters to the company of thanks would go down well.