Page 1 of 1
Connormcf
rank 4
Posted:
Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:43 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Im new here....
Could any of you tell me exactly what equipment i need to get online w/ my Dreamcast?
And where to get a bb adapter, do they work w/ Comcast?
How much it costs to get online with DC and the best online games to get?
i need to know.....
rank 30
Posted:
Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:14 pm
quote : #2
Ok, a bba only works with two games, pso and quake III. the bba costs over $100+ now also. You can get free isp's at the tech guides section or here http://www.consolevision.com/members/fackue/internet.shtml
Sorry, i don't know what Comcast is...
Well considering there are only a few still online dc games, i say get em all. There is Starlancer, 4x4 Evolution, the two I already mentioned, F355 Racing, and PBA Bowling which was never released and is possible to download through bittorent, or http://www.suprnova.org

Online Game List: http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/content_gameslist.php

oh and the 56k modem comes with the dc. Oh and to configure your internet acess, you will need a web browser disc such as Planet Web, Dream Key, XDP, etc.
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:28 pm
quote : #3
you can probably find a bba for cheap on ebay. i'm pretty sure Comcast is a DSL/Cable service, which should work find with your Dreamcast as long as you have that adapter. And don't worry, Dreamcast online service is free. Hope that answers all of your questions.
rank 10
Posted:
Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:42 pm
quote : #4
BBAs currently sell for around $100-150 on Ebay. It all depends on how lucky you get and how patient you are. They really aren't going to get any cheaper. Right now, $100 would be an awesome deal.
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:27 pm
quote : #5
ok thanks
but, i cant afford a bba right now so....around how much would it cost to get online w/ dial-up? and can u use a normal phone line to hook it up to the phone jack?
cuz im confused......
rank 13
Posted:
Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:27 pm
quote : #6
Yes, a regular phone line would work. You may wish to check with your ISP (Comcast) to see if they provide an amount of free dial-up with your broadband service; Earthlink for example, provides 20 free hours per month. Speakeasy provides unlimited (or so I'm told). It's typically referred to as "roaming access," since broadband provides access to only the location of the subscriber.

Alternatively, Chile listed a resource for free ISPs (in case Comcast does not provide free/roaming dial-up access, or not enough of it), and you should be able to get online with one of those (although it may require some trial-and-error). I'm under the impression that you will need the Dreamcast Web Browser disc, to input the settings for the ISP into the DC's internal memory (so that games can access it automatically). Once you're online, you can come back here for instructions for specific games. Good luck!

Chile: Comcast, I think, is a cable broadband internet access provider... They're pretty popular in the US, which only makes me want to get to know them even less. Cool
Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:28 pm
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-U/C
ComCast is a cable company/Broadband ISP that is pretty large in the Pacific Northwest. Just thought I'd clear that up. Connormcf, you wouldn't happen to live in northern California, Oregon, or Idaho, would you?

MK
rank 16
Posted:
Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:35 pm
quote : #8
Einhander wrote:
ComCast is a cable company/Broadband ISP that is pretty large in the Pacific Northwest. Just thought I'd clear that up. Connormcf, you wouldn't happen to live in northern California, Oregon, or Idaho, would you?

It's pretty popular in the Atlantic Northeast, too. All of my relatives have it.
Posted:
Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:41 am
quote : #9
Einhander wrote:

i live in Maryland actually....Comcast and DSL r very popular here.
can i download a browser disc online? i got a built in burner.....and im gonna buy Quake 3 so i wanna get online.
off topic: is there single player in Quake 3 Arena? Or offline multiplayer?
rank 13
Posted:
Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:49 pm
quote : #10
MK wrote:
Einhander wrote:

It's pretty popular in the Atlantic Northeast, too. All of my relatives have it.

It's also popular here in the Midwest, but, I did simply assume that it was popular nationwide. My apologies for that... Embarassed

Connormcf: There are no official places to download a DC browser disc... If I were you, I would probably pop over to my local EB Games or something like that, and see if they have any. If they do, it'll cost only about a dollar, and you won't have to go hunting for anything (and will be sure that it'll work the way that it should). eBay's probably pretty good, too!

Connormcf wrote:
... off topic: is there single player in Quake 3 Arena? Or offline multiplayer?

Yes, I believe that there are both of those. I've never played with any bots myself, but, the first time that I played was with friends, four-player split-screen. Very smooth; smoother than Unreal Tournament. For that reason alone, I think that I prefer Q3A on DC to UT...
Connormcf
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:12 pm
quote : #11
ok all i need now is an online browser disc, cuz my dad says we use Sailor for our dial-up, and that our account is still working, so all i need now is a browser disc, cuz i got a phone cord....what kinds of browser discs work best? and would they sell them at Starland, EB Games, or Gamestop?

o and: What AMERICAN online game should i get to start out? ima buy pal pso on ebay, but not 4 a wile....i was thinkn Q3 might be good but im not sure how many ppl would be online...