Topic: import vga box quaries ?

Page 1 of 1
deadmanshand
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:35 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
i was on the flea market last saturday and saw an import vga box for dc still with the box for only $9.99 i was thinking about getting it but had some questions about it Question

will this work on a US dreamcast and even if it did will it work for US games also Question

thanks

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:50 am
quote : #2
should do mate, i never had one myself but it is a well supported peripheral, i dont know about the ntsc games but im pretty sure that none of dreamcasts peripherals are region restricted. and the pal games i have that work with it do mention it on the back "vga compatible" anyway as i said i havent had one personally so i dont know how well it works.
Posted:
Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:07 pm
quote : #3
ultrapro wrote:
... but im pretty sure that none of dreamcasts peripherals are region restricted.

-Except for the Japanese official DC light gun! Wink

(Or, so I've heard).

deadmanshand; as ultrapro said, that import VGA box should absolutely work with your DC, and, most games should work with it in VGA mode (as most DC games are VGA-compatible). If it's an official Sega VGA box, then, consider it a rare find...
deadmanshand
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:08 pm
quote : #4
really there that hard to find these days im guess im getting it then next week if its still there ill let you know if i snag it or not.

beatdown
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:28 am
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U
Now that we are on the whole topic of VGA boxes, in your guys' opinions what is the best VGA box to get?
Posted:
Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:14 pm
quote : #6
The VGA Adapter from Performance. It has RCA plus S-Video on one side, VGA out and Audio out on another side, and it has the TV/PC switch, VGA In and Audio In on the other side.

Plus it's damn good. I recommend.

Though if you want to put your headphones directly into the Audio out, be sure to have some headphones with a volume control [or plug your headphones into your speakers] unless you want your games to play at full blast. So loud that you can hear everything from a couple feet away. It kinda defeats the purpose of headphones.
Posted:
Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:00 pm
quote : #7
sYk0 wrote:
Now that we are on the whole topic of VGA boxes, in your guys' opinions what is the best VGA box to get?

I've not tried any myself, but, I keep hearing that the Hais one is good (clear green, I think?) and the Naki one is bad (although they still offer a decent warranty, I believe). Any of the ones that have the features that MK mentioned should be pretty much comparable to the official Sega box, although that "VGA in" looks like a much-welcome extra (I've heard of only a few third-party models which include such). That would nullify the necessity of swapping VGA cables, or getting an A/B switch box. I'd be worried only about degraded signal quality from the video card due to going through a pass-through, but, it's probably not too bad...

PS- I think that the phone jack, for "headphones," is actually for use with PC sound cards or cheap, non-powered speakers... Since, of course, most monitors don't have built-in sound capabilities in the same fashion that televisions do. We've all got decent stereos hooked up to our DCs though, I would hope. Wink
deadmanshand
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:37 pm
quote : #8
just got back from the flea market and purchased the vga box on my way home i noticed that this isnt the 1st party vga box since the back of the box has a little sticker that says (the product is not provided by the sega company)
it comes in a white box and the color of the vga is black it has vga video,stereo audio,tv/pc switch,rl video/vs video.heres a stupid question since i dont have a pc monitor to test this on will it work if i tried the av cables and plug it on the back of the vcr aand last is on that same slot theres another cable supposedly for vs audio whats that for ?

thanks