Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2, 3, 4  Next
pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:32 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
i know shenmue was the first to boast about it as an actual gameplay feature, but sword of the berserk did it too, and came out before shenmue. do you guys know if sword of the berserk was the first game? or did i miss one that started this trent...?
rank 16
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:21 am
quote : #2
Dragon's Lair is the first game I remember with these mechanics. There have been many before and many after in the arcades in the 70's/80's like this. The whole game was nothing but interactive cutscenes where you had to press a command at the right time like Shenmue's QTE and Sword of the Berserk.

However, Shenmue's QTE events were awesome. And Shenmue II's QTE events were even more awesome. It had like 1000% more QTE.
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:25 am
quote : #3
yes but that was the entire gameplay. i meant where it was added, but not the main, gameplay ingredient. such as shenmue's qte and resident evil 4 and sword of the berserk, where it is meant to keep u absorbed and at attention during the cutscenes.
rank 16
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:32 am
quote : #4
Well, Shenmue had been in development since the Saturn days. And I think it still has the record of being the most expensive production costs. I have a feeling that Shenmue had the QTE idea since the planning stages before 1998.
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:36 am
quote : #5
Type: PAL
i think shenmue2 was themost expensive at 20,000,000 dollors
rank 33
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:16 pm
quote : #6
mcmonkey wrote:
i think shenmue2 was themost expensive at 20,000,000 dollors

Actually, I'm fairly certain that Shenmue I was more expensive by around $10 million or so. That was largely due to the fact that there was sooo much that initially had to be developed for the first one, including storyline, game engine, character modelling, etc. Plus, since Shenmue I development initially began on Saturn, everything had to be redone when the decision was made to transition the project over to Dreamcast.

How are my little crackers doing today?
pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:22 pm
quote : #7
and it's obvious that a few million was spent on the a class voice acting. Rolling Eyes Razz neway, let's keep on topic here. this is about other games besides shenmue that have qte not shenmue.
rank 12
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:57 pm
quote : #8
DIe Hard Arcade... Sega Saturn,ST-V and Titan

It has cool bits where you run between levels, down corridoors and stuff. It plays exactly like a quick timer event on Shenmue.

Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:48 pm
quote : #9
Le Spank wrote:
DIe Hard Arcade... Sega Saturn,ST-V and Titan

It has cool bits where you run between levels, down corridoors and stuff. It plays exactly like a quick timer event on Shenmue.

Yeah, Die Hard is the first game that comes to mind when you mention cutscene action.
rank 41
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:01 pm
quote : #10
so why wasn't it in dynamite cop 2 (the sequel to die hard arcade)? or was it, its been a while since i've played Wink
unknown
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:59 pm
quote : #11
the shenmue games dont use qte as the main part of the game, it is a big part but not the whole game, alot of it is free battle and making money, either getting jobs or gambling, the free fighting is great in both shenmues. and sword of the berserk was the first one on dreamcast i believe, could be wrong. allthough sword of the berserk has waaaay too much story and not enough action, not to mention gutzu can barely use his sword down thos tight alleys cos it constantly clinks on the walls stopping him from using it, not that great a game.
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:47 pm
quote : #12
pakkitman wrote:
so why wasn't it in dynamite cop 2 (the sequel to die hard arcade)? or was it, its been a while since i've played Wink

There's a two?
unknown
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:24 pm
quote : #13
yeah thats been confusing me recently as well, i remember tho it was in dynamite cop, i was wrong about sword of the berserk being the first dc game with qte, anyway yeah i didnt know a dynamite cop 2 had been released, would be interested to hear more about this if its true, or maybe its a type-o Mr. Green
Posted:
Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:05 pm
quote : #14
it's a quasi typo Very Happy dynamite deku (that's dynamite cop) was released on sega saturn. in the translation to america, its characters and story got changed to bruce willis and that whole stuff. then dynamite deku 2 got released for dreamcast in japan, but since there was no "dynamite cop 1" in the us they just dropped the number for our version

btw, ultrapro, dun be hatin on my avatar. or the game based on the anime with the character in my avatar. Mr. Green lol jk, i just loved its presentation and its story telling was great too. i'd say its one of the greatest niche titles ever Smile
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:23 am
quote : #15
Manga came before the anime, and is much sicker. Crazy graphic sicko stuff. Even in just black and white its got to be more graphic than any full color comic that I have ever seen, that would comparable in popularity, I know there are nasty underground/low release stuff that is pretty nasty. But anway, back to the topic, sort of, in my (former) student union we have Die Hard Arcade, the arcade, and the gamee looks like crap, just reeks of early polygons, and I always wondered who the hell all the extra characters were, no I know, its not realy Die Hard, that makes it suck less to me. Maybe I'll pick it up for my Saturn.

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:27 am:

and dont forget all those Sega CD games that used FMVs that you had to react to, to set off a differnt FMV sequence, games that played like Night Trap. Yes, Dragon Layer and Space Ace predate it. But still, Sega CD! I loved that system. Ever seen the sidetalking site, the ones w/ the Sega CDs really touch me Mr. Green