Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next
ezekiel2222
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:27 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
First I want to thank everyone who answered my question in the post about the keyboards.

I am actually working on a fairly larg game collection now, having every major system from the NES onward. If you really want to know, that means the NES, SNES, N64, GC, Genesis w/Sega CD w/32x, Saturn, DC, PS2, and Xbox. I've already custom built a large shelf unit that has specialy sized cubbies for each system, and likewise, shelves for each of their respective games. At this point I have been working more on collecting accessories than games becuase, well, there are just so many games.

Anyway, back to the point. Those two DC keyboards I have work fine, so I am happy. However, I also have a DC mouse, but I do not know any way to test it. Are their any games it works with, or is it only used when surffing the web?

Likewise, I will shortly be recieveing a Saturn Netlink modem. Is there any way to make that thing still work online, or is it bassically an expensive paper weight now? I also have the Saturn Netlink mouse, and Netlink keyboard adapter, (why Sega made a mouse, but then only made a keyboard adapter is a bit wierd, but then again they did just reuse the Genesis mouse...) Again, I have been unable to test those two devices, with the exception of if I have my keyboard hooked up to the adapter, and start up the Saturn with no game, I can use the arrow keys to move around in the menu, but I can't seem to select anything by pressing Enter, or any other key for that matter. Pressing Esc makes a beeping noise, like it is trying to back out of a menu, but since I am in the home menu anyway, there is no where to back out to.

Lastly, I am even crazy enough to have a Genesis Xband modem. It works in the sense that if you power the system on, it lets you go in and set up your avatar and stuff. As with the Netlink, is there any way to actually get the thing online anymore, or is it bassically usless? And along with that, I have the Genesis mouse, again with no way to test it. From what I have heard, there is only one game that ever used it. Does anyone remember the name, and is that truley the only way to test it?

Thanks a bunch!

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:35 pm
quote : #2
Here we go...
Games that can test the mouse... every First Person Shooter (Quake III Arena, Outtrigger, Soldier of Fortune, Unreal Tournament, Half Life, maybe Maken X but I'm not sure...), Silent Scope, and umm...some others I can't think of right now.
Netlink does work for the Saturn, however, you need someone in your general area who has Netlink as well, and a Netlink compatible game (most of the games that are compatible with it have two versions...the Netlink version and the regular. I can recall Daytona and VO:CT from the top of my head, but there are more. So it definately isn't a paper weight. There some better threads about netlink floating around here on the forums, just search for them. I'm relatively sure the Xband modem doesn't work anymore...but gee I haven't touched the Genesis in six years, so I can't say that definately.
rank 18
Posted:
Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:00 pm
quote : #3
For netlink:

Sega Rally Netlink Edition
Daytona USA Netlink Edition
Duke Nukem
Bomberman? Cant remember if there was a bomber man netlink or not.

Anyway, The netlink works by directly calling someone else's saturn. I think you just type in there phone number into the saturn and press call and it calls there saturns netlink. So you have to set up a time to play with someone else who has a netlink. And watch out for long distance fees.

I think the XConnect works in the same way, couldnt you play mortal kombat with it?
rank 13
Posted:
Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:50 pm
quote : #4
I have Maken X right here, and it doesn't indicate anything on the back about mouse or keyboard support. Might as well give it a shot, though.

You've got me thinking; Maken X is great as it is, but playing with VGA (which it supports) and a mouse and keyboard would practically be like a whole new experience. Not better or worse, mind you, but definitely different. It really works quite well with the controller, though.
ezekiel2222
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:09 pm
quote : #5
Ok cool, looks like I need to add a few more games to my DC collection then, (I only have 5 right now...)

As for the Saturn, how can you tell a game is the "Netlink" version? Because I have a copy of Virtual On: CT, but I can't seem to find any writing on the case that would imply it works online. It's a shame too, becuase it is complete, and in really good condition, which was hard to find. In fact I just took a quick look on Ebay to see if there were any "Netlink" ones for sale, and I couldn't find a single US version of Virtual On: CT period, Netlink or not. I'm guessing the Netlink version is even rarer than the one I have, so I'm afraid I may never find one, but who knows.

Anyone know about the Saturn Netlink keyboard(adapter) and mouse? What good are they for?

Yea, I had a feeling the Genesis Xband modem wouldnt work any more, but hey, its still nice to have in the collection. And as for the Genesis mouse, anyone remember the name of that one mistical game it works for?

Thanks again for the info. I'll have to post some pictures of the collection someday so you can all share in its bueaty Very Happy

dwachill
rank 18
Posted:
Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:34 pm
quote : #6
The Net Link could also dile up to the internet in standerd fashion. Basicly like a dreamcast. It used a PlanetWeb browser that was made for it. Thats what the KB/Mouse was used for.

The netlink versions say NETLINK on the front of them. The official Sega games were special editions made for netlink. Games like Duke Nukem 3D had it built into the regular game.
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:44 pm
quote : #7
awesome stuff man, I am working on a classic collection too. I have a netlink aswell, and I have Virtual On Netlink Edition and today picked up Sega Rally Netlink Edition. The regular Saturn Bomberman and regular Duke Nukem 3D can use Netlink.

If you have a DC mouse, you must play DC Squares, its a homebrew, and it has an online scoring function, if you have a broadband you can post off your DC. Otherwise its a password posting thing.

I kinda had to sim through your post, well the replies. We already covered the games and details of the Netlink earlier in a thread in the VS cable section about VO on SS and DC, something like that. If you are in NYC we can definately get some games on over netlink. There is also a netlink league, I will post that later.

Just my opinion, but your collection is ignoring good stuff. The Jaguar and the R E A L 3DO. By comparison, the DC is kinda like the 3DO or Jaguar, so its just wrong not have that in your collection.

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:06 am
quote : #8
Type: NTSC-U/C
I have a brand new, sealed version of Virtual On: Netlink Edition for the Saturn. I'm afriad to open it. Surprised

I really wish whoever was working on that USB coder's cable could come up with a simple schematic for us to build our own VS. cables since they're familar with the serial's architecture. How long is the VS. cable? From what I've seen, it looks like you'd have to be pretty close together.

Mr. Spank
rank 12
Posted:
Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:25 am
quote : #9
I was afraid to open my VO:CT Netlink Edition too, but I finaly diid, and it was worth it VO even in 32bit is awesome. I'm having the same problem w/ my new jap games I go a couple of days ago, can't bring myself to open them! Now I just have to find someone in my calling region to play my netlink games!

SS had its own type of vs cable, didn't it? What USB thing are youu talking about?

JoMusashi
rank 6
Posted:
Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:58 am
quote : #10
I would consider the SMS a "major" console as well. Perhaps it didn't do well with the sheep in the North American pasture, but UK/Europe/Australia/NZ were strongholds of 8-bit Sega gaming for a long time. Definitely a major player.

Check out my music:

http://www.myspace.com/sabuthejungleboy
mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:11 am
quote : #11
Type: PAL
JoMusashi wrote:
I would consider the SMS a "major" console as well. Perhaps it didn't do well with the sheep in the North American pasture, but UK/Europe/Australia/NZ were strongholds of 8-bit Sega gaming for a long time. Definitely a major player.

t'is true i loved my master system especialy playing alex the kid, that game rocked Mr. Green
rank 39
Posted:
Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:44 am
quote : #12
@ Mr. Spank.

Here you go.

Mr. Spank
rank 12
Posted:
Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:47 pm
quote : #13
how does that USB coders' cable fit into this thread, I'm confused.

I would consider the SMS a major player too, can't believe I didn't bring it up. That system was better than the NES, ever play Ninja Gaiden for it?!

And about the netlink stuff, the netlink specific games come in regular sized jewel cases. Saturn Bomberman and Duke Nukem 3D come in the sega jumbo sized jewel cases. I have only seen one Netlink game for the SS on ebay, and it was Daytona Champion Circute Netlink Edition, and I didn't pick it up because I didn't know the Netlink still worked at the time Mad I also saw a Netlink Game bundle, w/ the Saturn, Keyboard, Mouse, Netlink and I am not sure if it was w/ any games or not, but either way, should have bought that, an unopened Netlink sells for $150 in my local vintage game store.

I am a member of this http://www.geocities.com/netlink96/
Hope to see more people there from hear. I figure I will buy a calling card, and that way I can play w/ people that are long distance w/o getting a headache about the bill later.

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:51 pm
quote : #14
The USB coders cable was an example I was using. Since they were talking about the VS. cable, I had stated that I wish someone would come up with a simple schematic for us to build our own cable for longer distances. Since the creator of the USB coders cable is familar with how the serial port on the DC works, I was saying that that person would be particularily good at helping us out with the development.

I was always just going to add everyday, run of the mill serial ports on the back on my DC and so I could just run a regular serial cable between the two DCs, but there is some sort of electronic work in the middle. If anyone would be willing to, open us the VS cable and post some pictures.

Mr. Spank
rank 12
Posted:
Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:04 pm
quote : #15
since we were talking about the Netlink and I brought up a system bundle w/ netlink, I found a new bundle!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8181016246&fromMakeTrack=true
This is a great opportunity to get your hands on a first run SS (notice how the buttons and Sega logo are not the same as most SS' you will come across) WITH the Netlink and 2 games (ones I already have; VO:CT & Sega Rally) and a couple of aclaimed RPGs from that time.

And spread the word, if no body here wants it, someone else out there might. SEGA!