Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:04 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Okay, check this out. Last week I was checking out eBay when I stumbled upon an auction for a like new copy of Capcom Vs. SNK 2: Millionaire Fighting 2001. The auction was set to end in 1 minute and 40 seconds, and there had been 12 bids leaving the price $14, with just $4 for shipping and handling. Well, I hadn't even logged in yet, so I just started racing to get a bid in on time. I fully expected I would be outbid given the activity on the auction, so I threw out a paltry bid at $15.55 -- and won! As soon as I confirmed my bid, the next screen came up saying I won with a winning bid of $15.50, meaning I won with just a nickel to spare. How lucky is that?

So anyway, I started really sharking the mail for it the beginning of this week, and when I opened my mailbox yesterday there were not one, but two packages sitting there (?!!). Opening the first package revealed my prized Capcom Vs. SNK 2, but when I opened the second package my jaw dropped to the floor. Contained in the second package was a pristine copy of Marvel Vs. Capcom! For the life of me, I cannot even remember ordering it, but there it was sitting in my hands.

I guess I must have blacked out in a buying frenzy or something. Have any of you ever done that before? I have. I've ordered the same item before from multiple sellers, and I could never remember doing it until the packages arrived at the house. I've done that before with Test Drive 6, Armada, and Metropolis Street Racer too. I've recently been trying to curb my buying habits, but lately I think I've fallen off the wagon or something.

I really need a game -- er, I mean a drink...

How are my little crackers doing today?
Mr. Spank
rank 12
Posted:
Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:05 pm
quote : #2
A couple of weeks a go I ended up getting Last Bronx from Ebay for the SS. I have no idea why I bought it. I didn't really want it, and it wasn't the greatest price but you know what, its a good game! But I really didn't need to spend the money, and of all things to burn my money away on. At least it came w/ all the extras; stickers and a poster and the extra CD, it just didn't have the spin card.

I was going on a snowboarding trip this past January, and I wanted to MP3 player for the trip, since I had the helmet w/ built in headphones, and I ordered a Zen Mirco from pcmall and they kept having it delayed, so I cancled the order, and 2 days before my trip I got some package, and I was totaly confused because I know I got all the packages that I was expecting. Turns out those dumb bastards didn't cancle my order (I didn't want it if I couldn't get it before the trip) but then I got it, and everything worked out fine. Except that it put me in the negatives in my account (since I canceled the order I thought I had money to spend, so I spent it).

A real good way to avoid buying the wrong thing, is to not to surf ebay in the early AM hours! And to remind yourself that there are more things to do in life than just collect crap and play w/ it. And that your girlfriend will be really pissed at you if she finds out you got another package in the mail when you promised to stop buying things...
PS2: Resident Evil: Directors Cut (PS1)
3DO: Wing Commander III
Xbox: Steel Battalion
What's In Your System?
dwachill
rank 18
Posted:
Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:34 pm
quote : #3
I have. When i ordered my web browser for free from sega of europe. Actually i was suprised, i got it within 2 weeks of ordering and it had to travel from the UK.
rank 41
Posted:
Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:59 pm
quote : #4
I've only bid too much once on ebay, and my rents told my that if I didn't lose the bid ($100 for official maracas) I was grounded Neutral (even though I was gonna pay with it with my own money!). I had bid one three other things as well, and had won two of 'em. Luckily, it sold for 120... Cut close there, I did. Rolling Eyes
rank 12
Posted:
Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:34 pm
quote : #5
pakkitman wrote:
I've only bid too much once on ebay, and my rents told my that if I didn't lose the bid ($100 for official maracas) I was grounded Neutral (even though I was gonna pay with it with my own money!). I had bid one three other things as well, and had won two of 'em. Luckily, it sold for 120... Cut close there, I did. Rolling Eyes

your "rents" huh? Is that what you crazy kids call your parents these days?

I remember, sometimes I would bid on stuff, knowing I would be out bid, but I would do it just to rais prices. I don't do that anymore, now that I am a lurker and pounce on stuff at the last second. Yes, thats the secret to getting what you want on ebay, lurking.

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:37 pm
quote : #6
Mr. Spank wrote:
pakkitman wrote:

your "rents" huh? Is that what you crazy kids call your parents these days?

I remember, sometimes I would bid on stuff, knowing I would be out bid, but I would do it just to rais prices. I don't do that anymore, now that I am a lurker and pounce on stuff at the last second. Yes, thats the secret to getting what you want on ebay, lurking.

Would you prefer "parental units"?

Lurking has some problems. I used to be a constant lurker (the ebay equivalent of a frag stealer) but then I'd constantly end up winning from people who were just there to jip you and who had a rating in the negatives and stuff. So now I just lurk, while treading carefully and checking out the seller first. I call myself, "El Silent Lurker" because I'm all into using spanglish to make myself more machismo and all that. ... Crying or Very sad
rank 12
Posted:
Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:48 pm
quote : #7
to get back on subject, sometimes I black out when I'm lurking, badbadbadbadbadbadbadbad BAD
Definately not good, definately not, nope, definately not

another element to getting what you want, is to bid high when you lurk; when its about to end, and you have just enough time to log in and bid, bid what would be the maximum you would play, if its up to 6.50, and you are willing to pay 40, bid 40, because there are other lurkers out there, and if you are out bid at the last second you wont get a chance to bid again. So stalk your prey silently and pounce on it with full force at the last possible moment!

So if you are trying to get something that is 2.50 and you are willing to pay upto 12, when there is under a minute left, bid 12, because if you bid the sugested minimum, you can get out bid, but if you bid your max, it will only match the largest bid under your bid, so even if you bid 40, you will probably pay less, unless there was some other lurker who bid 39.99, or X-your max bid, where X= the increment of increasing price for acceptable bid.

And this has been todays lesson on lurking. And now I will leave work and do other things.

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:09 pm
quote : #8
Mr. Spank wrote:
to get back on subject, sometimes I black out when I'm lurking, badbadbadbadbadbadbadbad BAD
Definately not good, definately not, nope, definately not

another element to getting what you want, is to bid high when you lurk; when its about to end, and you have just enough time to log in and bid, bid what would be the maximum you would play, if its up to 6.50, and you are willing to pay 40, bid 40, because there are other lurkers out there, and if you are out bid at the last second you wont get a chance to bid again. So stalk your prey silently and pounce on it with full force at the last possible moment!

So if you are trying to get something that is 2.50 and you are willing to pay upto 12, when there is under a minute left, bid 12, because if you bid the sugested minimum, you can get out bid, but if you bid your max, it will only match the largest bid under your bid, so even if you bid 40, you will probably pay less, unless there was some other lurker who bid 39.99, or X-your max bid, where X= the increment of increasing price for acceptable bid.

And this has been todays lesson on lurking. And now I will leave work and do other things.

That's the only way I bid. I determine what my maximum would be, which is usually lowballed at first to get a bargain, and then I bid it. If I get outbid before the end, I usually have a gut check moment to see how badly I want it. Usually, I won't re-bid, and I'll let the item go. I have slow ass dialup, so I cannot constantly bid and realistically expect to get anything -- it takes too dang long.

How are my little crackers doing today?
Mr. Spank
rank 12
Posted:
Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:13 pm
quote : #9
oh yeah, a crucial element to Professor Spank's formula, have a broadband! Every second counts

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:20 pm
quote : #10
Mr. Spank wrote:
Professor Spank

I thought i told you not to play, "Doctor" with the ladies! Rolling Eyes
rank 12
Posted:
Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:19 pm
quote : #11
THATS WHAT SHE SAID!

charmed_699
rank 21
Posted:
Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:38 am
quote : #12
hey yeah good thing nothing like that ever happened to me although the otehr day i actually made friends with the guy i was bidding against for a dreamcast game . be carefull though cos not being able to pay cos you buy too much can be really bad especially to those like me who depend on their parents

Mr. Spank
rank 12
Posted:
Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:44 am
quote : #13
<<<< Now I am a 'Professor' Exclamation

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:39 am
quote : #14