Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
JibbityFlibbits
rank 2
Posted:
Wed May 11, 2005 4:07 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I'm about to acquire HeadHunter, Shenmue 1, and Shenmue 2. All three are the europe PAL versions. I realize I will probably have to use a boot disc to play them. Qustions:

1) Which boot disc is the best for these? I'd love it if I could get the games to display on VGA, but I can still use my TV instead, if that fails.

2) Will the boot disc even allow the games to display in 60htz NTSC format? I'm not sure if it requires the PAL game to have the 60htz option built into it or not. Can anyone fill me in?

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Wed May 11, 2005 4:15 pm
quote : #2
well both shenmues and headhunter ask at the start of the game if you want to use one or other im pretty sure so you just need a boot disc that works. i always use xploder.
Posted:
Wed May 11, 2005 5:30 pm
quote : #3
A boot disc will allow the games to be rendered perfectly on your TV. There are many to choose from out there, but the one that I use is the Gameshark Lite CD. It works perfectly for me booting PAL and NTSC-J games on my US DC. I use it regularly with PAL copies of Headhunter, Shenmue II, Phantasy Star Online Ver. 1, and 90 Minutes: Sega Championship Football. I also use it with NTSC-J copies of Capcom Vs. SNK 2: Millionaire Fight 2001 and Monaco Gran Prix 2.

You just pop the CD in, and once it reaches the game menu, select the game you want to load. If the game title you want is not listed on the menu, simply create and save the title first, then select it. The Gameshark will then prompt you to insert the game disc and press start.

Once you have the game name configured in the system, it just takes about 30 seconds to use the boot disc. Some people advocate modding the Dreamcast by soldering in a chip, but at this stage of the game, I can't see the logic in that. There's no sense risking damage to the console when a boot disc is painfully easy and convenient to use.

The best place to find a Gameshark Lite CD is on eBay, and they run around $10 or so.

How are my little crackers doing today?
JibbityFlibbits
rank 2
Posted:
Wed May 11, 2005 6:15 pm
quote : #4
Hmm good info. I don't know what xploder is. I'm actually very very confused when it comes to all the CD based cheat devices for DC. I don't know which are the best and what features each have.

All I know is I have "Gameshark CDX 3.3" burned on a disc, and "Utopia 1.1 VGA Patched" burned on a disc. Of course neither work in VGA. I've tried booting commercial discs that support VGA with them, as well as non-self-boot VGA supported games with them. But as long as I can play these 3 imports on a TV properly, I'll be happy. I'm getting an amazing deal on them, thanks to my friend in the UK.

Posted Wed May 11, 2005 6:19 pm:

Oh and I also wanna make sure that Sonic Adventure 2 Birthday Pack (Japan) will work with a boot disc. I'm pretty sure it would. Seems much more logical to buy that, then the twice as expensive USA version, since both games support english and japanese dialog and text correct?

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Thu May 12, 2005 2:11 am
quote : #5
well the xploder is a pal released (dont know if it came out anywhere else) cheat device by action replay which also allows multi region gamng. you basically stick the disc in, a menu comes up, you tell it to start game, it says insert disc, insert any region dc game and they work perfectly. no loss of quallity due to chip modding and so on.
Posted:
Thu May 12, 2005 12:54 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
JibbityFlibbits wrote:
Hmm good info. I don't know what xploder is. I'm actually very very confused when it comes to all the CD based cheat devices for DC. I don't know which are the best and what features each have.

All I know is I have "Gameshark CDX 3.3" burned on a disc, and "Utopia 1.1 VGA Patched" burned on a disc. Of course neither work in VGA. I've tried booting commercial discs that support VGA with them, as well as non-self-boot VGA supported games with them. But as long as I can play these 3 imports on a TV properly, I'll be happy. I'm getting an amazing deal on them, thanks to my friend in the UK.

Posted Wed May 11, 2005 6:19 pm:

Oh and I also wanna make sure that Sonic Adventure 2 Birthday Pack (Japan) will work with a boot disc. I'm pretty sure it would. Seems much more logical to buy that, then the twice as expensive USA version, since both games support english and japanese dialog and text correct?

Yea gameshark and utopia should boot these games just fine.
Posted:
Thu May 12, 2005 1:58 pm
quote : #7
I personnally use DC-X and/or Code Breaker to boot imports on my EURO DC,
these boot discs force the game in 60Hz if needed (but the PAL games u got have a built-in -menu selectable- 60Hz mode, as most PAL games)
these boots give me full satisfaction...

on the other hand, utopia's got some problems with booting some games, especially in VGA display (utopia v1.2 is needed for VGA mode, but [s]will not work with all games[/s], even VGA compatible ones...)
Posted:
Thu May 12, 2005 2:06 pm
quote : #8
So PAL games need the boot disk? What about Trizel, would I need one for that too?
Posted:
Thu May 12, 2005 4:10 pm
quote : #9
if you use an american dc then yes you need it for all non american region games, japanese and pal.
Posted:
Thu May 12, 2005 5:05 pm
quote : #10
My gameshark cdx is a burned copy though. It boots up fine on my DC, so I assume it will work with import games the same way a commercial copy of gameshark cdx would. I wish it would be a little speedier though. The menus are very laggy, and it takes forever just to get past all the copywrite crap.

Anyone know of a site with all these various boot discs for download in iso form?