Page 1 of 1
gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:36 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
OK I was on the LIK-SANG forums and there was a question about a vga adapter. And there was this pic on quake 3 running on this vga adapter and it was labeled quake 3 LAN. I clicked on the link and this was the picture:
http://img218.exs.cx/img218/5027/landc0217fx.jpg

IS THIS POSSIBLE?!?
If it is is it possible on 56k modems? on top of the bba

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:42 pm
quote : #2
Yes. Very possible. That's why Quake III will never go offline. Because the PC version comes with the server software, and the DC allows you to specify an address to the server. On 56K, yes if you have the PC/DC dial up server, or two phone lines.

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:50 pm
quote : #3
Great!!!!
Do you think I could get some help setting up a LAN over 56k?

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:53 pm
quote : #4
Sure, no problem. Despite the rumors that it doesn't work for the most part, that's false. I've set up three of the DC/PC servers so far with both software and hardware modems. But, I've also only tried the installations on Windows 98 machines, so majority of the problems probably are from people trying to use 2000 or XP.

There's a great site located here. This should help you get the DC/PC server setup. It would be best if you could have two seperate computers. The last time I had both a software and hardware modem running in the same machine, it refused to accept the connectection from whichever modem was dialed into as the secondary connection. Meaning, if I logged in through the hardware modem first, the software modem wouldn't let me connect, and vice versa. I think my problem is with my NAT (network address translation) software. It's the application responsible for rerouting packets from the incoming broadband connection to the internet, or through a router in your local area connection, or intranet. The Dreamcast logs in with 192.168.55.X. I think the 'X' is 2, but I can't remember. The problem is that every Dreamcast seems to use this as a static IP, and when it logs into the server, there's confliction between which DC is which.

What do you use to connect to the internet? If you use DSL/Cable, you're in luck because it makes everything much easier since you probably already have NIC cards installed, and if you have more than one computer, they're probably already routed through a router or hub. If not, you have a few alternatives.

Method A:

If you have multiple computers with NICs (network interface cards) and a router, you could put 56K modems into each of the computer and have one host the Q3 server. If you were somehow able to work out the IP problem with the NAT software, you could put two modems into one computer and run everything from one box if the computer is fast enough. I was trying the two modems on a Pentium 133mhz. That was my first server, and it served its purpose well. I've heard of people using 486s to run a Linux version of the server setup.

Actually, with the last idea, all you need is one computer, two 56K cards and that's it. You don't need a NIC since it's all self-contained, which would be nice. Just have the NAT application route all the information to the server.

Basically, what you're creating is a rather large and cumbersome router. I still think Netgear or Linksys could make a lot of money if they created a dial up router for the devices that people can't use because they've moved on to broadband.

Method B:

If the IP problem can't be sorted out and you don't have NICs installed, there's one last option. You'll need two computers each with 2 modems installed. This is where it gets tricky. You have to have each DC dial into seperate server, but one of the servers also acts as a dial up server for the other computer, so one DC will dial into a computer, and then that computer will dial into the other computer that the other DC dials into.

This may be a bit confusing, so give me a minute to get an official release setup guide put together. I will include multiple diagrams and configurations for you to try. I'll try to get it as complete as possible in as short of time as I can.

I hope this helps.

- Dreamcast ™

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:26 am
quote : #5
Ok I'm glad that you can do it but I just don't think I can do that myself so I think I'll wait till that official release comes out.
Thanks anyway!