profile : pm
whats a vga box

SpencerUk
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:13 am
quote : #2
erm, ive heard of them, go to amazon.co.uk, ive seen them on there, it should give you an explanation

http://www.profileheaven.com/spencer : Me Is Here

http://www.faceparty.com/justspencer : Also Me
charmed_699
rank 21
Posted:
Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:24 am
quote : #3
Im not sure if im right but I think its the adapter so you can play dreamcast games on some computer monitors so the picture looks way better

SpencerUk
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:28 am
quote : #4
charmed_699 wrote:
Im not sure if im right but I think its the adapter so you can play dreamcast games on some computer monitors so the picture looks way better

i thought that was scart?

http://www.profileheaven.com/spencer : Me Is Here

http://www.faceparty.com/justspencer : Also Me
pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:32 pm
quote : #5
VGA boxes allow you to use your monitor (if it supports DC's resolution) to play the Dreamcast. This is the best picture possible while using your dreamcast. VGA boxes also allow you to plug in speakers and all that jazz. Right now I'm really happy with my S-Video cable, but I'm sure along the line I'll get a VGA box. Just imagining playing a dreamcast game on an LCD monitor in 640 resolution gives me a fuzzy feeling all over. Embarassed
rank 16
Posted:
Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:15 pm
quote : #6
I think LCD screens make the picture even muddier. Sure... a still shot looks beautiful, but when everything's moving it has a blur that's too distracting for me. I bet that blur would be awesome for a Sonic game... but not for anything else.

I'm perfectly happy with my standard PC Monitor and Speakers. The picture is beautiful and I actually get upset whenever I have to hook it up to a regular TV [parties]. I think the best thing soundwise about a VGA Box is that you can use speakers with a headphone port.

Everything sounds better through headphones.

Everything.
Posted:
Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:35 pm
quote : #7
Yes, I'm lucky in that regard, when purchasing my television I made SURE that they had an audio port to put headphones in. Really brings out the energy in Headhunter.
PS - I noticed pebbles being kicked up in the air while driving through the park in London in Metropolis Street Racer. I found that game UNPLAYABLE before I got the S-Video, the jaggies were so bad that, even with the huge signs, I found it impossible to gauge the turns and kept on hitting walls and thus, losing kudos. Now, with the S-Video, I've been doing much better and went from the 5th Chapter to the 11th like THAT *snaps*. So with even higher clarity/resolution, the VGA would surely bring out the best in your games. (and no I didn't get paid to say that Smile )
PPS- sorry about my PS being bigger than the actual body of my post.
rank 39
Posted:
Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:40 am
quote : #8
Type: NTSC-U/C
Basically like it's been said, it's a converter that takes the DC's video output and converts it into a usable format for PC VGA monitors.

The "box" itself comes in a few different forms. You can get the cable version, or the "box" version.

With the box, I recommend Performance. Although it's a bit bigger, it has more functionallity. With some VGA boxes, you only have a cable going to your DC and then a VGA staggered 15-pin female D-PIN connector for your monitor to plug into with a stereo headphone jack right next to it. With the Performance VGA box, you get all of that plus an extra VGA connector for attaching a VGA extension cable from your PC to the "box" so you don't have to swap the monitor from the DC VGA box to PC all of the time. What's also nice is that it can automatically detect when you go from PC/DC. So if you're playing a DC game and turn on your PC, it automatically goes to the PC's output.

Also, like most boxes, the Performance VGA box has both composite (video - audio l/r) and S-Video outputs.

Here's a picture of it.

- Dreamcast

icepick
rank 13
Posted:
Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:13 am
quote : #9
Two words: HD TV. (Ha!)

I would agree that on a PC LCD monitor, the colors will look better but the overall picture will be blurrier. As it's been said; These PC monitors are designed for resolutions higher than 640x480, and thus the picture will be scaled, and not very clearly at all. It'd be better on either a CRT monitor or an HD TV with VGA input--Something I'm hoping to try someday, though there's no way that I'd be able to afford any sort of decent TV. I have a plan, though.

Again: RF < composite (yellow) < S-video < interlaced RGB (sometimes via SCART) < progressive RGB (in this case, VGA)
Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:44 am
quote : #10
icepick wrote:
As it's been said; These PC monitors are designed for resolutions higher than 640x480, and thus the picture will be scaled, and not very clearly at all.

I run my VGA box into a 19'' CRT monitor and couldn't agree more. While some games look good, they look much better through standard composite. Maximum pool really takes a hit when run through a VGA box it seems. Everything is jagged. Either the textures they used were meant for lower resolutions, or they had just implemented a horrible antialiasing algorithm.

- Dreamcast ™

icepick
rank 13
Posted:
Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:16 pm
quote : #11
I was actually speaking about a different detriment, but, you do bring up a valid point -- Many people actually prefer something like S-video because it masks slightly the graphical deficiencies present in certain titles (as well as the subtle aliasing that you mentioned). All in all, it's good to have so many options available--One for each scenario! I myself would probably switch between the two versions of RGB (if possible)... Interlaced for the less-polished titles, and progressive for the top-notch.

S-video on a decent television is worlds better than RF, though! The color accuracy and vibrance (and distinction) of the RGB methods is what's attractive about them, though, and in some games (not a lot of popular genres) the crispness and sharp edges of objects can totally improve one's performance (in, say... scroll shooting games. You knew that I was going to say it!). It's like the difference and preference between LCD and CRT (aside from response time/motion blur); Some prefer not to have the more obvious pixel depiction of LCD, but everything's nice in its own situation...

(Rambling switched off now, sorry about that!)

I should really order one of those VGA boxes from Play-Asia. It's not like they're expensive or anything. Confused
JoMusashi
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:36 pm
quote : #12
Playing my DC on my CRT monitor is like video game heaven.

Check out my music:

http://www.myspace.com/sabuthejungleboy
Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:27 am
quote : #13
nothing beats vga

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.php/Main/Kingbuzzocollection
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:13 pm
quote : #14
Ok should i get a vga box or not. It seems like nobody gave a clear response. I'm thinking of playing q3 arena and pso v.2 connected to a vga and then to my 15 inch Mag LCD monitor. Seems like everyone is saying its gonna be a worse picture than playing on a crt t.v.? Can i get a clear answer or response please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted:
Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:36 pm
quote : #15
This also seemed like it was worth the investment, and much like for everything THC said. But I have a difrent question. How much is the standard cost for one?