Topic: PC<>DC with VMware :: Works!

Page 1 of 2
Vchat20
rank 2
Posted:
Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:56 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
ok. just wanted to let you know that even though i have limited resources, i was able to get the dreamcast<>pc connection going with a virtual 98 machine on top of xp.

now i only have one concern: ITS SLOW!! yes, i know this is dialup, but this is GOD AWFULLY SLOW! even the main google page takes quite some time to load. im currently doing an extensive speed tests from PW3 to see what it reads. currently 98 is reading your usual 33600.

fallout
rank 16
Posted:
Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:59 am
quote : #2
Type: PAL
im running it over win9x right now

and the google site takes 3-4 secs to load
Smurph
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:20 am
quote : #3
Glad to see someone used my idea that I posted on DCEmu Forums. = P
http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=70219&highlight=vmware

Vchat20
rank 2
Posted:
Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:29 am
quote : #4
well, the thing is that it is way too slow for being 33k. im still doing a real speed test, but i was making rough estimates on the bytes sent counter in 98 and i estimated it at 8k

Morph
unknown
Posted:
Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:37 am
quote : #5
Wow. Since you say that, it couid be possible that you have a 33.3k modem instead of 56k. My suggestion is to try another modem, and see what happens.
RAM: 128MB PC66 EDO
Video: MGA MIL/2GN 4MB PCI
Hard Disks: dual 4.3GB W.D.
Smurph
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:38 am
quote : #6
Vchat20 wrote:
well, the thing is that it is way too slow for being 33k. im still doing a real speed test, but i was making rough estimates on the bytes sent counter in 98 and i estimated it at 8k

Hmm... well, what's good is that we now know VMware has access to the physical modem. Now all that remains is optimizations and such, I think.

Vchat20
rank 2
Posted:
Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:41 am
quote : #7
no no no. its supposed to be 33k because the connection is using 2 analog modems. the only reason regular dialup isps always give you near 56k is because on their end they are using digital modems with a direct link to the main phone network. thats why a single phone number at an isp can hold a mess of users at one time.

and although i still cant get a clear test from the speed test sites ive tried, i calculated them and they are reading around 9k again. ive even tweaked the serial speed in vmware with no luck.

meh. im gonna have to g to the official vmware forums on this one.

Smurph
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:44 am
quote : #8
Is there a way to raise the priority of VMware's access to the physical hardware?

Vchat20
rank 2
Posted:
Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:53 am
quote : #9
there was only one thing mentioned on the site about serial port speeds but the changes made didnt help any.

Smurph
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:00 am
quote : #10
Hmmm... I'll have to try this myself sometime...

Mr.INSANE
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:56 pm
quote : #11
Morph wrote:
Wow. Since you say that, it couid be possible that you have a 33.3k modem instead of 56k. My suggestion is to try another modem, and see what happens.

Whats the point? The phone lines can only transfer around 33 kbs of data max anyways i really dont understand a 56k modem since it will never run anywhere near that speed.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:06 am
quote : #12
Type: NTSC-U/C
Mr.INSANE wrote:
Morph wrote:

Whats the point? The phone lines can only transfer around 33 kbs of data max anyways i really dont understand a 56k modem since it will never run anywhere near that speed.

No no it has nothing to do with phone lines. A 56k modem can only UPLOAD at that max rate of around 33kbps. So in a PC-DC environment the DC can only Downloand or Upload at 33k because thats the max speed the modem on the PC can dish the data out to the Dreamcast. Since your going modem2modem, this is why the datarate becomes limited to 33k using a 56k modem.
Posted:
Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:53 pm
quote : #13
Cool! I've been tinkering with this myself,with no luck. If it's not too much to ask, would you be able to type up a quick post detailing how you got it to work? I'd greatly appreciate it.

- DonValor

IMP@QT
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:14 pm
quote : #14
Please refer to the tech guides. Alot of times it wont work because your modem isnt compatible.(Not a voice modem), so you have to build a phone line inducer. Good luck, hope you get it up and running.
Posted:
Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:54 pm
quote : #15
Type: NTSC-U/C
IMP@QT wrote:
Please refer to the tech guides. Alot of times it wont work because your modem isnt compatible.(Not a voice modem), so you have to build a phone line inducer. Good luck, hope you get it up and running.

We currently do not have a guide up detailing how to get a PC-DC server setup using VM Ware. Just using a normal OS install. One could use our Guide from the Tech Guides as a starting point as it has been proven to work with win98. However the win98 gudie we have up now does not detail any possible specifics(if any exist) with getting it to work on Virtual OS's.