Page 1 of 2
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:09 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well I have been sitting here about 4 hours past when I should have went to sleep, playing Radirgy. My copy just arrived in the mail today. I love this game to death. The scoring system is superb, and it wasn't until an hour into the game that I realised you can play as 9 different ship variations. The 3 shot types, each having 3 iterations of speed. Also, in most games I hate it when they have a vertical letter box wallpaper. I usually like it to be black. But, the way they designed it in this game works great. It wasn't distracting at all.

The score rankings are great as well. Allowing for seperate ranks for each ship!

It took me a bit to figure out the game system, but once I did everything feel into place. This game gets very addictive once you learn the score mechanics. However, one thing I still don't know about, are the little triangles that you can float out with the sword. I know they increase your shot power, but does anyone know what the purpose is of delaying when you pick them up? Also, does anyone have translations for what the different colored pickups are?
Posted:
Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:53 pm
quote : #2
Here's some quotes from Shmups.com. Real interesting stuff so far. Can't wait for the OST to come in the mail.

Sam wrote:
Mutiply
It seems to me that you got a mutiply if you a mass a lot of green pills.

You got a lot of green pills when you activate the abs barrior. Every enemy target within the barrior would release green pills.

You also could collect green pills when you damage an enemy by overlapping it while in defance posture (by not shooting and not using sword).

Blue Pills
Collecting Bule Pills would fill up your barrior's bar. When it is filled, you could activate the barrior.

Destorying enemy would collect bule Pills.

Item
It seems that you could lift back falling items using sword attack.

After lifing a few times, some item would change into others.

Item Left by Ground Enemy
It was said at the back of the manual, that if you collect all these item, somthing would happen...

Others
Although you could turn off the stage start dialogue during ship selection. But the manual said the dialogue gave hints for the stages

Marler wrote:
Take out the aerial on the 1st boss to destroy all his parts, if you're up to
x16 it's an easy score boost.

Alske wrote:
The yellow den (電) icon ups your radio-wave gauge. Ka (化) is the one that changes all bullets to ten (点) icons which increase your score. Ami (網) restores your net-abs; which is the bomb-thingy. Tate (盾) gives you a little shield for a while, the one that appears when you hold off on the attack buttons for a little while. Chikara (力) ups your power if it wasn't obvious.
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:17 pm
quote : #3
kingbuzzo wrote:
Here's some quotes from Shmups.com. Real interesting stuff so far. Can't wait for the OST to come in the mail.

Yea the soundtrack is great. I still can't believe that Nagata and Hayashi did this as well. (same duo that did ZanacXZanac and Chaos Field).

kingbuzzo wrote:
Sam wrote:
Mutiply
It seems to me that you got a mutiply if you a mass a lot of green pills.

You got a lot of green pills when you activate the abs barrior. Every enemy target within the barrior would release green pills.

You also could collect green pills when you damage an enemy by overlapping it while in defance posture (by not shooting and not using sword).

Blue Pills
Collecting Bule Pills would fill up your barrior's bar. When it is filled, you could activate the barrior.

Destorying enemy would collect bule Pills.

Item
It seems that you could lift back falling items using sword attack.

After lifing a few times, some item would change into others.

Item Left by Ground Enemy
It was said at the back of the manual, that if you collect all these item, somthing would happen...

Others
Although you could turn off the stage start dialogue during ship selection. But the manual said the dialogue gave hints for the stages

Marler wrote:
Take out the aerial on the 1st boss to destroy all his parts, if you're up to
x16 it's an easy score boost.

Yea this stuff I figured out after about an hour into playing. Just kept experminting until it clicked. Took a while for me to realise what was innitiating the multipliers. The key is to sit in defensive mode, on the larger slow moving enemies to get green pills and points. As your meter increases you will get 2x, 4x, 8x, 10, 16x bonus on enemy kills. There are also these large carriers with little boxes on them. Slashing the boxes on board will fill up your ABS meter really fast. The key is to sit in defensive mode on these larger slow moving craft, then when the screen is full of enemies, slam on the ABS and rack up 16x points. The problem is by this point the screen often completly fills with bullets. You start moving backward and then take a bullet in the ass.

Also I should point out that your green meter decreases. So you will be getting 16x kills, and then as the bar is slowing down, you will start getting 8x....4x...etc etc.

This system is incredibly addictive and fun. I had read some of the early posts at shmups.com, and I always find it funny how many "new" shmup fans there are over there, that play it off like they are "down". Then they say a game is garbage, and they didn't even put the game through it paces. One guy was saying how the game was mediocre and too easy, and how he didn't even use the sword at all yet. (hahaha)

kingbuzzo wrote:
Alske wrote:
The yellow den (電) icon ups your radio-wave gauge. Ka (化) is the one that changes all bullets to ten (点) icons which increase your score. Ami (網) restores your net-abs; which is the bomb-thingy. Tate (盾) gives you a little shield for a while, the one that appears when you hold off on the attack buttons for a little while. Chikara (力) ups your power if it wasn't obvious.

Ahh yes, this is the info I needed :] Thank you
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:11 pm
quote : #4
lordnikon wrote:
This system is incredibly addictive and fun. I had read some of the early posts at shmups.com, and I always find it funny how many "new" shmup fans there are over there, that play it off like they are "down". Then they say a game is garbage, and they didn't even put the game through it paces. One guy was saying how the game was mediocre and too easy, and how he didn't even use the sword at all yet. (hahaha)

ya, reminds me of a lot of the negative comments about chaos field. I enjoy the art of radirgy, but I love the score system because of it's similarities to chaos field's.
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:36 pm
quote : #5
I often feel like I am one of the few that actually appreciates and enjoys chaos field. Everyone else trashes that game to death. Me, personally, I love Chaos Field.

I am also happy to see various Chaos Field elements work their way into Radirgy. Especially IFUMI's lasers which I always felt were really cool.
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:29 am
quote : #6
Type: PAL
lordnikon wrote:
I often feel like I am one of the few that actually appreciates and enjoys chaos field. Everyone else trashes that game to death. Me, personally, I love Chaos Field.

I am also happy to see various Chaos Field elements work their way into Radirgy. Especially IFUMI's lasers which I always felt were really cool.

ahhhh you guys are making me really jealous lol, mine still hasn't arrived yet. btw is it quite easy to grasp? because i do not own one single shoot-em-up at all!
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:07 am
quote : #7
Games like Psyvariar, Chaos Field, Giga Wing, Mars Matrix etc etc all pretty much force you to understand their gameplay mechanics in order to progress through the game.

Radirgy, Trizeal, and Shikigami No Shiro 2 are all games that anyone can play and still have fun. You can forget about score and just blast away. While these games are fun for beginners, they also have an engrossing scoring system. So if you want you can get into the nitty gritty of the score system and then when you want to get some other shooters that are more demanding, you will be able to have a great time with those as well.

So you should love Radirgy lozz Cool
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:14 am
quote : #8
lordnikon wrote:
Games like Psyvariar, Chaos Field, Giga Wing, Mars Matrix etc etc all pretty much force you to understand their gameplay mechanics in order to progress through the game.

Radirgy, Trizeal, and Shikigami No Shiro 2 are all games that anyone can play and still have fun. You can forget about score and just blast away. While these games are fun for beginners, they also have an engrossing scoring system. So if you want you can get into the nitty gritty of the score system and then when you want to get some other shooters that are more demanding, you will be able to have a great time with those as well.

So you should love Radirgy lozz Cool

ah thanks for the info, im glad of the new dc releases because a while back i got some new arcade sticks and i don't have much to play on them yet.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:25 am
quote : #9
Arcade sticks are superb for playing shmups. Especially vertical shooters. You should get some good play out of your arcade stick. I use an arcade stick for shmups on every console I own. Except for my GBA. Once I get a gameboy player and a PS2 > GC convertor then I will be able to play my GBA shooters with an arcade stick.
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:48 pm
quote : #10
I finally got Radirgy, yesterday.
And the stuff kingbuzzo and lordnikon put up was quite helpful Wink
Also it does'nt hurt to watch the intro before you start as to how things work.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:23 pm
quote : #11
Ok does anyone know what the option is below the ship select? There is a toggle option but it is written in Japanese, and I have no idea what it does.

BTW: Hi-Scores Smile Feel free to post
Posted:
Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:27 pm
quote : #12
grrr i had to be stupid and put both Radirgy and Under Defeat in the same order at liksang Mad

oh well, looks like im gunna have to wait a month or so.
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:37 pm
quote : #13
Probobly April for you mcmonkey. Lik-sang's free shipping sure is free......but it is slow........ Mad
Posted:
Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:45 pm
quote : #14
lordnikon wrote:
Probobly April for you mcmonkey. Lik-sang's free shipping sure is free......but it is slow........ Mad

monkey isnt too pleased.......oh well i'll just play border down or sumthing for the next couple of months
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:59 pm
quote : #15
lordnikon wrote:
Ok does anyone know what the option is below the ship select? There is a toggle option but it is written in Japanese, and I have no idea what it does.

BTW: Hi-Scores Smile Feel free to post

you toggle that by hitting X, and it turns off the messages and stage hints.