Page 1 of 2
cabou
rank 9
Posted:
Thu May 04, 2006 7:01 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hi all,

on a french forum, someone told me that a japanese version of Capcom VS SNK (I dont know if it's the first or the second)
could feature link capabilities as well as online...

I tried some research over the net, but found nothing about that.
ideally It would be better to do that research on japanese web, but my japanese is not so fluent... Wink

so I ask here the question,
If someone knows anything that could help, please post... thank you

regards
Posted:
Thu May 04, 2006 7:47 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Capcom vs SNK does not have system link support. I have the string of text that is on the back of the manuals for vs cable games. I went across every single game in sega's japanese database. The only new title I came up with was when I found out about Sega Tetris way back when. I was unable to find any other titles that supported the vs link cable. Also Capcom vs SNK does not have the text on the back of the case saying that it supports the cable.
Posted:
Thu May 04, 2006 4:09 pm
quote : #3
thx lordikon,

but note that for example, that the link capabilities of PAL F355 are not mentionned anywhere...
nothing on book, neither on box...

Posted Fri May 05, 2006 11:25 am:

by the way lordnikon,
Sega tetris is not mentionned in the "VS link game list" of your website Wink
Posted:
Fri May 05, 2006 4:39 am
quote : #4
Link mode in F355 is hidden and is unlocked by pressing a combination of buttons at the start screen ( see guide section)

Sega Tetris is in the japanese section of the online game list cos its a japanese only release Wink

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri May 05, 2006 6:14 am
quote : #5
cabou wrote:
thx lordikon,

but note that for example, that the link capabilities of PAL F355 are not mentionned anywhere...
nothing on book, neither on box...

Also, there are no link capabilities mentioned on any NTSC-U/C or PAL releases. Does this mean every game released in US and Europe is vs link compatible? Ehhh no...

Here is what we know so far. There are 5 vs link games that were released in Japan. All of these games have the same designation on the back of the packaging to show that they support system link. Also, all 5 of these games show system link support in sega.jp's software database. Of these titles F355 made it to PAL, and F355 & VOOT made to North America.

There currently is no documented case of a Dreamcast title being system link compatible in PAL Regions / North America, but not in Japan.

Capcom vs SNK has NO designation of vs cable compatibility on the back of it's packaging or in sega.jp's database.

The reason why this rumour got started is because the company that makes vs link cables put bogus information on it's packaging.

Finally Capcom vs SNK is a fighting game. There is no need for vs link cable support. Because... it is a fighting game. Viewing it on 1 TV would be no different than on 2 TV's.

The evidence currently available points to Capcom vs SNK not supporting the vs link cable.

Now, you could doubt this, and then sit around with your Dreamcast and every game in your collection and a wall of ISO's and do back flips on your controller trying to get some magic code to unlock vs link. Sure I think everyone here has done this at one point or another with atleast one Dreamcast game. Just for shits and giggles. But one could drive themselves complatly insane looking for "phantom" vs link cable capabilities in Dreamcast games.

Last edited by lordnikon on Fri May 05, 2006 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Fri May 05, 2006 6:19 am
quote : #6
lordnikon wrote:

The reason why this rumour got started is because the company that makes vs link cables put bogus information on it's packaging.

Finally Capcom vs SNK is a fighting game. There is no need for vs link cable support. Because... it is a fighting game. Viewing it on 1 TV would be no different than on 2 TV's.

So true.

Anyway, I did a link up gaming special on my site a while ago Http://www.segacollection.com/specials/lug.html.
There's one Aero Dancing title I need to add I think.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri May 05, 2006 6:23 am
quote : #7
Hi Segafreak_NL Smile Yea, you sent me that link over at digital press in a thread. I forget which one.

Anyways, your list has all of the Dreamcast system link games listed accuratly.

The only Aero Dancing games that support the cable are Aero Dancing i and Aero Dancing F. The expansion discs for Aero Dancing i and F do not have vs cable support. I know because I have both of these in ISO form, and have tested them.

It is just the original Japanese releases of i and F that have the vs cable support.
Posted:
Fri May 05, 2006 6:50 am
quote : #8
lordnikon wrote:

The evidence currently available points to Capcom vs SNK not supporting the vs link cable

you're probalbly right concerning the actual VS link game list... I agree

nevertheless, VS link capablility on beat em up game is not so idiot idea.
the guy who told me about this "possibility" mentionned that japanese players like to fight "back to back" on 2 different screens....
that way they're unable to see adversary's button combinations...
Posted:
Fri May 05, 2006 7:11 am
quote : #9
Yes I am aware of Candy Cab setups where there are 2 back to back machines. I was not calling the idea of vs cable support in a fighting game "an idiot idea". I didn't even say that.

I am not sure what else to tell you cabou, other than what I have already stated.

If you really want to find out 100% for sure, then I guess start learning how to try and decompile an entire Dreamcast game so you can look at the source code. That is really your only other option.
Posted:
Fri May 05, 2006 10:18 am
quote : #10
Hmm I think the 'link-up in Capcom vs SNK' confusion started with the DC->NGPC link up. It does support that I think.

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Fri May 05, 2006 5:41 pm
quote : #11
Nikon's right on with this one. Capcom Vs. SNK never has supported Vs. Link compatibility on any Dreamcast format. The rumor did start because the Dragoncast Vs. Link Cable box, which I have, incorrectly lists Capcom Vs. SNK as one of the compatible games. This incorrect statement gets repeated in various Ebay auctions and seller advertisements from people who take the statement at face value.

It would be interesting if Capcom Vs SNK was link compatible, but unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it isn't.

How are my little crackers doing today?
Metal Hedgehog
rank 11
Posted:
Fri May 05, 2006 6:59 pm
quote : #12
Well actually Capcom vs Snk 2 does have a link up to another PS2 only. I never really tried it. Also Ill look in my Import of Capcom vs Snk if it has link compatabilty.

MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Fri May 05, 2006 10:24 pm
quote : #13
Metal Hedgehog wrote:
Well actually Capcom vs Snk 2 does have a link up to another PS2 only

ahhhh.. that makes sense why theres been such a misconception.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri May 05, 2006 11:12 pm
quote : #14
No no no Capcom vs SNK 2 for the Dreamcast cannot system link with the Playstation 2 release.

Capcom vs SNK 2 was "CROSS PLATFORM" compatible with the Playstation 2 version for ONLINE gameplay.
Posted:
Sat May 06, 2006 2:16 am
quote : #15
Type: PAL
lordnikon wrote:
No no no Capcom vs SNK 2 for the Dreamcast cannot system link with the Playstation 2 release.

Capcom vs SNK 2 was "CROSS PLATFORM" compatible with the Playstation 2 version for ONLINE gameplay.

what so dreamcast players could play PS2 players online?
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now