Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
Dillweed22
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:14 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
here's a bit of background for you...

I just jot a Job in Salt Lake City that is in the same building that Acclaim Software once occupied. They left this building warther..... quickly, after the fall of their company. They left so fast that the employees were not informed, finding a padlock on the door to the building. It stayed that way with all the equipment inside it (DEV KITS GALORE, Lots of cool Videogame swag) Until the business I work for now leased the building. That was 2 years ago. The Game stuff had been all but scavenged.... or so I thought.

I was talking to our IT admin about video games and how I am a Dreamcast collector when he asked me to follow him into his office. he went into the darkest Recesses of the room and returned with a metal box and said "Here you go. Acclaim left this behind." I looked at it for a second and realized what it was. He had given me a GD-WRITER!! I am now in posession of one of the most rare dreamcast Items! That totally made my day!
Posted:
Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:28 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Wow. That is. Amazing O_O

Congrats! Did you get a whole dev kit machine? or just the GD-ROM writer?

Is there anything else hanging around?

(Post pics!!! hehe)
Posted:
Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:39 pm
quote : #3
Just the GD writer... I didn't want to overstay my welcome so I happily took my treasure and left him alone.

There's one more GD Writer left.

I intend on going back there and seeing what else is in the retro grave yard.

Just to let you know what was left behind, My brother-in-law was one of the first employees in the building after acclaim. Some of the things he made off with was the ORIGINAL Source code to Bart vs. the Space Mutants For the Sega Genesis (and other games for the SNES on the same Tape Cartridge) and A USB memory card reader for the Nintendo Dolphin (yes, the Dolphin. Before it was called the gamecube. It even has the Dolphin logo on it).

Also, Sorry for the size of the pix.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/dillweed22/GD%20writer%20pics/IMG00025.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/dillweed22/GD%20writer%20pics/IMG00026.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/dillweed22/GD%20writer%20pics/IMG00028.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/dillweed22/GD%20writer%20pics/IMG00029.jpg
Posted:
Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:20 pm
quote : #4
Man that is awesome. Congrats again on getting that. A nice collectors item indeed.
Posted:
Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:45 am
quote : #5
Type: PAL
Shocked

I have always dreamed about that happening. congrats!
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
Smurph
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:10 pm
quote : #6
I envy you.

Nightmare a la DC
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:33 pm
quote : #7
That's great man, so can you now just plug it in to your PC, or is it more of a monument to the Dreamcast's legacy that rests on a shelf at your home? The only thing I could really see the writer doing is letting you burn games onto GD rom's, so that the games wouldn't be missing parts to them.
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:26 am
quote : #8
I don't think blank gd-r discs are very easy to come by.

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:58 am
quote : #9
The only time I've seen blank GD-roms were when they were being sold with a KATANA unit or GD-Writer.
However they mst still be in prodction. As new DC games are coming out on GD-ROM.

BTW, my "u" key is broken. So im having to copy and paste "u's" Laughing
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
axlrose2k5
rank 6
Posted:
Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:09 pm
quote : #10
Well, blank GDs can be found on eBay from time to time.

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:37 am
quote : #11
Wow! Congratulations, man! Talk about an early Dreamcast birthday present! Very Happy

Dillweed22
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:52 am
quote : #12
more like right on time... 4 days left to age 7! (in the US, anyway)

About plugging it into the PC... Might not work to well without a SCSI card. Or software to run it. OR a Dev kit to transfer info. That's next on my scavanger hunt list for the retro graveyard. GD-R Discs are available on Ebay every-so-often, as in right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Dreamcast-DC-blank-orange-GDR-development-dev-disc_W0QQitemZ250023946823QQi hZ015QQcategoryZ4303QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250023946823
Posted:
Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:07 pm
quote : #13
Dillweed22 wrote:
more like right on time... 4 days left to age 7! (in the US, anyway)

About plugging it into the PC... Might not work to well without a SCSI card. Or software to run it. OR a Dev kit to transfer info. That's next on my scavanger hunt list for the retro graveyard. GD-R Discs are available on Ebay every-so-often, as in right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Dreamcast-DC-blank-orange-GDR-development-dev-disc_W0QQitemZ250023946823QQi hZ015QQcategoryZ4303QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250023946823

The Katana devkit has been warezed, IIRC.

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:19 pm
quote : #14
damn, congratulations!

Smurph
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:00 pm