Page 1 of 1
noonotthat
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:08 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I was in school and one of my friends was on the website candystand.com which is a little online flash game website run by wrigly ( the ppl who make the gum) when i look over and see this game hes playing called polarity. This game is a %100 rip off of ikaruga, the only thing thats really different are the modles, but even the font is the same, the programmer they must have hired for this game must have relaly liked ikaruga. go take a look and te4ll me what you think.

http://www.candystand.com/play.do?id=17986
Posted:
Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:25 pm
quote : #2
Yea it is an Ikaruga clone. This is a big reason why I hate "little PC" games such as flash games, homebrew, demos, etc etc. The developers usually rip off another game's design, or jack sprites from classic titles. Programs like "Mugen" are the bane of my existance and I can't even fathom how many times I have seen some flash based 'shooter' which jacks the ship from R-Type.

People like to think they have a free pass to make "fan based homages" to their favorite game titles. Ikaruga is an amazing game, and should not be ripped off.
Posted:
Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:07 pm
quote : #3
yeah i know, i just foudn it stange since in my opinion ikaruga is not as well known of a games as lets say r type or gradius, so idk, its sad yet interesting to me
Posted:
Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:22 pm
quote : #4
Type: PAL
lordnikon wrote:
Yea it is an Ikaruga clone. This is a big reason why I hate "little PC" games such as flash games, homebrew, demos, etc etc. The developers usually rip off another game's design, or jack sprites from classic titles. Programs like "Mugen" are the bane of my existance and I can't even fathom how many times I have seen some flash based 'shooter' which jacks the ship from R-Type.

People like to think they have a free pass to make "fan based homages" to their favorite game titles. Ikaruga is an amazing game, and should not be ripped off.

I'd have to disagree with you.

I don't think that homebrew and other such games are in anyway plagiarising the originals (as your so very subtly implying Razz) . I think a suitable analogy would be an artist trying to emulate the style of another to improve the work of their own. Games that are simply clones of another ARE homages to the originals, and I think that this can has a positive effect. These games can create interest in the originals which has to be a good thing.

Stuff Like this crops up in other forms of media/art (games as art FTW!!!). Just take a look at dada,punk or even pop art.

noonotthat wrote:
This game is a %100 rip off of ikaruga, the only thing thats really different are the modles, but even the font is the same, the programmer they must have hired for this game must have relaly liked ikaruga. go take a look and te4ll me what you think.

http://www.candystand.com/play.do?i d=17986

This...this game is shite. Nice attempt though...I suppose. It does have the positive effect however of making you want to play the original Very Happy
unknown
Posted:
Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:45 am
quote : #5
Art is either plagiarism or revolution. Paul Gauguin.