lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:42 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Just curious what people think of this.

Personally I think if your on a PC....your not gaming on a Dreamcast....so your not a Dreamcast Online Gamer.

Whats your take? A lot of people do not have broadband adaptors. A lot of people who have broadband, might be tempted to NOT play over 56k with their dreamcast. Then instead, set a PC copy of Quake 3 up on their PC, and play against dreamcast gamers using their PC and broadband. Personally I feel this is cheap. It's not Dreamcast Online gaming. I understand it is a chore sometimes to tackle the whole "56k" issue when it comes to the DC online realm. However.....once you make the jump over to another platform.....its......not.....really..........Dreamcast anymore....is it...
Posted:
Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:45 am
quote : #2
Word up.

martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:31 pm
quote : #3
I agree. It's kind of an odd situation when the exact same (and compatible) game exist for PC (this isn't true for most DC games) but it's still not online DC gaming.

When you're talking about Quake 3 and online DC gaming, you've got to be in it for the console experience. (Plus you can use your TV, which is probably a lot bigger than your PC monitor.)

One thing I can say is that if you have DC, it will work. You don't need to worry about OpenGL drivers or all of that (sometimes it can be hard to get Q3A working on a PC).

DRBagabundo
rank 15
Posted:
Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:29 pm
quote : #4
i 2nd nikon
banned!
Posted:
Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:50 pm
quote : #5
True, never heard of ppl calling them selves a DC gamer while on PC playing Q3 ... that's just dumb ... good point

Chris5687
unknown
Posted:
Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:26 pm
quote : #6
Well...not really. If they are playing other games on a DC and chose Quake III since they already got it for PC...then I gess it would be kinda different. It's hard to say, but I thin "not a DC gamer" is what i'm leaning toward.

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:55 pm
quote : #7
..... I know that fealing when a Monsterping joins Smile ..... but we shouldnt forget, if there are no PClers we couldnt play dat quake any longer Razz
Posted:
Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:10 am
quote : #8
i play q3 on both pc and dc, so what am I?

superman?Very Happy

*humms superman theme song*
Posted:
Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:15 am
quote : #9
i totally agree with errr all of u..
but like grubensu said pc players have played a
big part in keepin dc q3a alive and kiking.
i c (not as many now) lots of pc gamers
that started out on dc, went 2 pc because thats
what friends and clan members were doing
and came back 2 dc maps because the atmosphere
was less friendly on pc servers.
but aye a pc gamer ondc q3a aint a dc gamer
bt could be an ex dc gamer though
Smile

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:12 am
quote : #10
Type: NTSC-U/C
The reason I brought this topic up is, as more and more and more of us start setting up our own servers....which only hold 4 people. Gamers playing on their PC's will just be taking up slots that gamers playing off there dreamcast's would want to play in.

If a few OC members put up servers, then 50% of the people playing on those servers are playing off of a PC.....ON DREAMCAST quake 3 servers....thats just rude.

I might actually kick PC gamers....off of servers that I run in the future. Dreamcast's are 50 bux or less these days, grab a copy of Q3 for 10 bux, and use a Free ISP. If this scenario is incompatible for a gamer in any way. They should play their PC quake 3 on PC gamer servers. Plain and simple.
Posted:
Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:17 am
quote : #11
im here and i cant play any DC games online.... Sad

(dont kick me! I wanna play DC online!)
Posted:
Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:33 am
quote : #12
Just out of interest how would you tell who was a PC Quake 3 player or a Dreamcast Quake 3 Player?

heh also a bit ironic, I'm neither a PC Q3 player or a Dreamcast Q3A player.
I just run the server, ain't played the game in years Confused

evilnine
unknown
Posted:
Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:45 am
quote : #13
Na'Ryan[UK] wrote:
Just out of interest how would you tell who was a PC Quake 3 player or a Dreamcast Quake 3 Player?

heh also a bit ironic, I'm neither a PC Q3 player or a Dreamcast Q3A player.
I just run the server, ain't played the game in years Confused

oooooooooooooooo Surprised

*building up the drama*
Posted:
Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:43 pm
quote : #14
You can tell a PC player by the ridiculously small ping they have (represented by an impossibly big Green bar)

I dont understand why all PC Q3A players dont raise their ping to an acceptable level... oh wait... proboably something to do with the big advantage eh.

Even if i had a PC i would still use the DC on the DC servers...

If i enter a new Porche Carrera into a Mini Cooper race, does that make me a Mini Cooper driver? ... Smile
F355 races every 20mins.. 9:00pm / 9:20pm / 9:40pm ...and so on.

http://f355.tsx.org <---F355 race reports, and championship info is posted here.
DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:14 pm
quote : #15
Not always true I get for the most part green bar for ping and im always on my DC with Q3