Page Location: Home > Quake III Arena > Topic
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
mrandyk
rank 19
Posted:
Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:44 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
im gonna have to try for some fraggin fridays now that im motivated to play again, just so long as im not busy which is completely out of my hands. if i cant make it for some of those i will try scheduling some games and hopefully have some ctf which is my personal favorite type of gameplay in an fps.

i am intrigued by the thought of a freeze tag mod, has anyone ever tried these? and if so how do they work? is one person it and then shoots the other people to make them frozen and then one of the people can shoot their team mate to make them unfrozen? i always loved playing freeze tag when i was small and mixing it with guns sounds like fun Very Happy
gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:55 pm
quote : #17
Type: NTSC-U/C
I'm gonna try to show up for one of these Fragging Fridays, I've never made it to one.

I always seems to be doing something Friday nights.

freaky
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:45 am
quote : #18
Quote:

am intrigued by the thought of a freeze tag mod, has anyone ever tried these? and if so how do they work? is one person it and then shoots the other people to make them frozen and then one of the people can shoot their team mate to make them unfrozen? i always loved playing freeze tag when i was small and mixing it with guns sounds like fun

With freezetag you have to shoot the opposite team to freeze them.
When your body is frozen you get sent to spectator mode and have to wait until a player unfreezes you, or a team scores a point.
Your body will auto thaw after a while, but you can stand next to a frozen team member and use your bodys heat to unfreeze them back into the game.

Once a whole team is frozen, your team scores a point and the match is restarted Smile

There are also 3 veriations of capture the flag that can be played online named "return the flag" "defend the carrier" and "multiflag"
Ill explain how each is played.

Return the flag is the same as standard ctf except that when you touch your teams flag you have to carry it all the way back to your base instead of just having it teleport back when you touch it.
If you already have the enemy flag then you get to carry both flags at the same time.

In defend the carrier 1 player from each team is assigned carrier status, and a teams carrier is the only player that can pickup the enemy flag.
everyone else must try to defend this player and help he / she capture the enemy flag and return it to base.

Multiflag is like speed ctf, everytime you pickup the enemy flag another one respawns in its place allowing another member of your team to pick it up, so you might end up with every player in the game holding a flag and running back & forth trying to score.
Posted:
Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:14 pm
quote : #19
@ Dreamcaster - I was waiting for such a comment Razz - thats why I say - we dont need more permanent servers.
Quake isnt dead - but the active user base is very low. I mean - take a look over the actual tourney. MCmonkey tried alot - but he failled due 2 inactive players. Im realy happy we have the fragging friday - thats a permanent event. Sure its mostly teambased - but hell yeah like freaky said - the active userbase needs something new. I prefer teamgames right now - that gives new players a better fealing and me some new fun. I total agree with Freakys words. His server is running some little but important diferents - I remembering days where I said - freaky thats not playable - but after a while you ll like it. I wish lo would come out 2 public with the selfmade quake stages. At the end ask urself how regular you are playing this game before you post Razz
Posted:
Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:20 pm
quote : #20
Type: Pal
grubensau wrote:
Sure its mostly teambased - but hell yeah like freaky said - the active userbase needs something new.

I dont think theres anything new here, all the standard modes have been available for a long long time. I dont think we had tourney servers on the pal version right away but thats about it.

grubensau wrote:
I remembering days where I said - freaky thats not playable - but after a while you ll like it.

A while, whats a while. I get at the most 1 and a bit hours per week night to play an online game andf maybe 3-4 hrs on weekends if I am lucky. I dont want to spend a while getting use to a new type of game I want to be on and playing/enjoying what I know within mins. If I am to dedicate time learning something I have 10 ps2 net games on the shelf not all of which will be online forever that I can put my time too.

grubensau wrote:
At the end ask urself how regular you are playing this game before you post Razz

For me to play there have to be people on when I check there arnt I wait a bit and then go. Fragging Fridays, probably the worst day of the week as far as I am concerned and maybe other people too. If i am going out its normaly on a friday sure is a more busy social day for most people.

I can only state what I like but for me to play Q3 the games have to be up they have to be pretty dam simple i.e deathmatch my skill level isnt great so deathmatch gives me 3 others to aim at which is a good thing for me Very Happy PICK UP and PLAY thats what I am looking for and that includes all online gaming not specificaly Q3.

Laters
Posted:
Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:23 am
quote : #21
I could offer a monthly prize for the person whose server is used, the most frags, most improved player, person who turns up the most etc Wouldn't be much but a tiny incentive.

It seems there are still a few players, just not around at the same time !. I know that could be said about all online games, but I'd hate to see this game go out quietly. It's too good for that. I know a few of the best fraggers in Europe and they either cut their teeth on this game or else they think it was the best console fps ever. They are always singing it's praises. If the DC's online legacy is to carry on, it would be all the worse without it's crown jewel.

One thing I noticed about Quake and other online fps's is how intimidating they can be for begginners. I'm certain there are many lurkers who would give the game a try if there were some easier tournaments held ? Or maybe a teaching session by someone who's hot at the game ? Building up the player base seems to be a priority. How many gamers out there know this game still exists, that it's free to play etc ?

Maybe a begginners tournament, a vanilla tournament and a modded tournament each month ?

I haven't got Quake myself or any means of getting online, so these are just ideas to mull over. Please don't bite Smile

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:41 am
quote : #22
Blast stop talking and check freakys server. Whats a while? - dont take my words 2 correct - Im talking about a week. Joining a server and waiting a bit (whats a bit - uuuu - for me its sometimes over 1 hour) wont give you good games.
Posted:
Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:28 pm
quote : #23
(at SNK) well That seems like a very well idea since there is quit a bit of new players,just having some tournaments for some new people sounds great and then we could have more skilled players just teach them some basics and thing like what you should and shouldnt do,things like that.......ill be willing to help new players out. Mr. Green
Xbox live: JTKallDay
SNK 47
unknown
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:22 am
quote : #24
misfits138 wrote:
(at SNK) well That seems like a very well idea since there is quit a bit of new players,just having some tournaments for some new people sounds great and then we could have more skilled players just teach them some basics and thing like what you should and shouldnt do,things like that.......ill be willing to help new players out. Mr. Green

Hey I'll definitely take up your offer. Maybe others will ? You shall be rewarded ! (and not just with my scalp Laughing ). Misfits Shoot'n Institution.

To play the game you need Quake3 Arena NTSC version plus either dial-up internet access using inbuilt DC modem or BB via DC/PC method or DC BBA. I think that's right ?

It will take me a while to get the cash together but hopefully within a month.

freaky
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:08 am
quote : #25
At the moment, my server has a highscoreboard thats written at the end of each map showing the top 10 players.

I could make a simple html page to display these for each dreamcast map, that way it might get people interested in getting to the number 1 spot on the highscore list.
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:48 pm
quote : #26
Thats a pretty good idea freaky i sure would like to see that,fallout also does that with his OSP server..that would be a nice addition to your server. Laughing
Xbox live: JTKallDay
freaky
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:09 pm
quote : #27
Well i was thinking about doing something simple, like this:

http://q3highscores.bravehost.com/

and then updating it with players every few days.
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:32 pm
quote : #28
I like that Smile

Could you put a space at the bottom for the wooden spoon ? I need something to aim for !

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:25 pm
quote : #29
The problem with highscores is that they would be so scattered. Coming up with some sort of single master Q3 highscore list would be optimal, but it would take a lot of organization and teamwork. Plus there is nothing to stop users from falsifying their identity to maliciously alter another persons stats. Someone could easily log onto Q3 servers as "lordnikon" and die over and over again. You would have to develop some sort of login / password system where stats would only be recorded when said user logs in.
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:14 pm
quote : #30
lordnikon wrote:
The problem with highscores is that they would be so scattered. Coming up with some sort of single master Q3 highscore list would be optimal, but it would take a lot of organization and teamwork. Plus there is nothing to stop users from falsifying their identity to maliciously alter another persons stats. Someone could easily log onto Q3 servers as "lordnikon" and die over and over again. You would have to develop some sort of login / password system where stats would only be recorded when said user logs in.

Wow, that's something I had never thought of..

Shh.. you're giving people ideas.. Shocked