Page Location: Home > Quake III Arena > Topic
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:48 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
There are a variety of ways we can improve Dreamcast Quake 3, and this is an idea I have had for quite sometime now. The games's server list doesn't present enough detailed information. Personally I think the "map name" is a complete waste of space, and could have been replaced with server name instead. But I guess they were trying to have the fields be a set width instead of server names having to be appended with a "..." at the end.

This will take a community wide effort for it to go into effect.

There are 3 major information resources which I feel users could benifit from knowing when they reach the masterlist:

1.) What region is the server is hosted in?
2.) What platforms does the server allow to play? Dreamcast? PC? or both?
Note: While we do not support discussions about playing Q3 from the PC here, it is still important that other people are free to host servers as they wish. They have the right to host a Q3 server and let whoever they want play on it. Designating this will help people find players of like-kind much easier.
3.) What controls are allowed on the server?

These flags would take up a maximum of 3 characters at the start of a server title, and would be in the following order: Region, System, Controls

Below are the following letter designations for each character:

----------

1.) Region

A = Australia / New Zealand
C = Canada
E = Europe
U = USA
S = South America

----------

2.) Systems Allowed

P = PC
D = Dreamcast
B = Both

----------

3.) Controls

1 = Controller
2 = Mouse & Keyboard
3 = Both Setups

----------

For instance a server that is hosted in England for PC and DC users, with support for controllers or Mouse & KB's would have the following string at the start of the server title:

EB3

A server that is hosted in the USA, for Dreamcast users only, with support for just controller pads would have the following string at the start of the server title:

UD1

---

Also there are some nuances to this system which make it easy to remember. For instance the for the systems label, if you take "P" and visually add "D" to the letter, it forms a "B". For the controls 1 = controller which is just one piece of hardware, 2 = mouse and keyboard which is two pieces of hardware, and 3 = both setups which is three elements of hardware in total. Wink

One of the problems plagueing Q3 right now is that it is a briar patch of certainty when playing online. I think this standards system would greatly help the Quake 3 community and give people better chances of finding certain types of players to play with.

Please feel free to add your thoughts.
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:56 pm
quote : #2
I like this idea.

It could help you to learn a lot about the server without even joining it.

segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:48 pm
quote : #3
Yeah not a bad souding idea...I am certainly interested Smile

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:34 pm
quote : #4
Type: PAL
this seems like a good idea, but why are Canada and the US two different regions?
rank 10
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:18 pm
quote : #5
Yes this would be a nice addition cuz some people get bad lag and some wonder why and then they have to ask other people where the server is held and mosty of the time people wouldnt kno i think thhis would be a great idea. Razz
It will also let you kno some more things on what the server will allow which would be pretty nice.
Xbox live: JTKallDay
SNK 47
unknown
Posted:
Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:59 am
quote : #6
Simple and to the point. I like the logical 'nuances' as you put it, it all makes sense without being too convoluted.

I think the salient point is regarding the Dreamcast Quake community's ability to implement such a system. That would seem to be toughest challenge, but not impossible.

I was going to suggest a rating system for how popular and what standard the server is. No idea how that could be done, how that kind of feedback could be monitered or registered.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:29 am
quote : #7
mcmonkey wrote:
this seems like a good idea, but why are Canada and the US two different regions?

I decided to split up Canada and the US because they are 2 very large geographic locations.

SNK 47 wrote:
That would seem to be toughest challenge, but not impossible.

I don't think it would be too difficult. It all depends on if the community is willing to accept this standardization and put it into practice. With the exception of the brazilian servers, most of the Dreamcast Q3 server admins and users browse this site, so people would definatly get informed. Plus people could post these standards pretty much anywhere. If some other clan had their own website for the DC and wanted to include the URL to the standards on their site to promote them, this would be another way to spread the word.

It is important to note that while I am spearheading this movement, these arn't necessarily "OC" quake 3 standards, but a system to be implimented for the Dreamcast Quake 3 community at large. I think it is something that all Quake 3 Server admins should embrace and use. Sure it uses up 3 character spaces, but I think this is a super small price to pay for something that could benifit Dreamcast Quake 3 greatly.
Posted:
Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:39 am
quote : #8
So if i understand this correctly, i add this to the beginning of my servers hostname?
so it should now look like this:

[EB3] Freakys Cpma ProDeathmatch Server

I added brackets for neatness Cool
That would indicate europe, both pc & dc, both mouse /kb/ controller setups.
Posted:
Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:00 pm
quote : #9
freaky wrote:
So if i understand this correctly, i add this to the beginning of my servers hostname?
so it should now look like this:

[EB3] Freakys Cpma ProDeathmatch Server

I added brackets for neatness Cool
That would indicate europe, both pc & dc, both mouse /kb/ controller setups.

Yes that would be correct. Smile

People should at the very lease keep these first 3 letters in all CAPS, and have the 3 chars at the beginning of the server title so it doesn't get cut off at the end.
Posted:
Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:16 pm
quote : #10
Well i have added it to the servers hostname but i just swiched isp`s this week so im not 100% sure if i configured my new router to show up in the master server list.
Can anyone let me know it they can scan it?
Posted:
Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:11 pm
quote : #11
OK, well I have just added the tags to my servers, I am using [ED3] (used your square bracket idea Freaky...is nicer Smile ) so my new titles are:

[ED3]SegadcerUK

Ideally I would make them Pad and keyboard only because thats how I play, but of course I think thats a bit pointless as most people use mouse...so I decided not to Smile might add a pad only server sometime...see how things go

Hope this new idea takes off Smile

freaky wrote:
Well i have added it to the servers hostname but i just swiched isp`s this week so im not 100% sure if i configured my new router to show up in the master server list.
Can anyone let me know it they can scan it?

Just checked the server list and could not see your server..don't think I ever have actually? perhaps its just the time of day you run them unless you are 24/7?

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

Nightmare a la DC
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:04 pm
quote : #12
Well, this looks like a good idea Nikon; it may also help balance out matches by letting players know ahead of time the control scheme (DC pad/kb+m), since many players may be worse with one than the other.
rank 37
Posted:
Mon May 07, 2007 5:37 am
quote : #13
Just out of curiosity is anybody else using this lebeling system yet or am I the only one?..lol

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon May 07, 2007 7:20 am
quote : #14
I will be, as soon as I can get my servers up.
Posted:
Mon May 07, 2007 3:27 pm
quote : #15
I'll add these tags onto my server when I set it up this weekend Smile