Topic: Games in VGA

Page 1 of 2
X
rank 10
Posted:
Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:37 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I play my games with a VGA box. I was just wondering if anyone knows, does it run the game at 60hz? because I never get an option to choose when playing in VGA. Thanks

phredreeke
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:59 pm
quote : #2
Yes, VGA is 60hz only. I'm fairly certain vga monitors can't handle refresh rates below 60hz anyway.

Especially good considering some PAL games will only run in 50hz, but will run 60hz with VGA box. Sega Rally 2 comes to mind.
Posted:
Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:21 pm
quote : #3
Thanks, good to hear it runs at 60hz.

RadioSpade
rank 8
Posted:
Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:33 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Another question about the VGA box....

I just got one the other day, but havn't noticed too bid a difference from playing with component AV cables (SA1, Shenmue, Gauntlet Legends). Is it because I'm using an LCD monitor - 1280x1024 res. - instead of ... the other kind? (I forgot what that kind of monitor is called).

I guess what I'm asking is: What's the best kind of monitor to use with a VGA box?

-RadioSpade

nintendo_DS
rank 21
Posted:
Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:57 am
quote : #5
in my opinion, the CRT monitor is far superior to that of and lcd monitor, it has a verrrry good picture.

i have played both and even tho the crt monitor takes up a lot of room, it's worth it
...look around and ask yourself if there's anyone better qualified...at that point in time. If...'yes,' ask them to accept command, and do everything you can... If...'no,' ...then take your best shot. That's all any of us can do.
Starwalker
rank 14
Posted:
Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:01 am
quote : #6
Type: PAL
nintendo_DS wrote:
in my opinion, the CRT monitor is far superior to that of and lcd monitor, it has a verrrry good picture.

i have played both and even tho the crt monitor takes up a lot of room, it's worth it

I think the same. Smile
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:38 pm
quote : #7
RadioSpade wrote:
Another question about the VGA box....

I just got one the other day, but havn't noticed too bid a difference from playing with component AV cables (SA1, Shenmue, Gauntlet Legends). Is it because I'm using an LCD monitor - 1280x1024 res. - instead of ... the other kind? (I forgot what that kind of monitor is called).

I guess what I'm asking is: What's the best kind of monitor to use with a VGA box?

There should be a difference. VGA via a decent VGA Box is the best possible signal your Dreamcast is capable of.
Posted:
Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:57 am
quote : #8
well, I have a HAIS box that seems to be working perfectly. I'll get my hands on a CRT monitor and then see what's up. But honestly, the image looks a little better on my 13" toshiba tv than my 17" dell LCD monitor (both are a year old).

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:37 pm
quote : #9
It's possible that the game might look better on the tv because the tv smooths the images out. Smoothing the images out makes the jaggies seem to disappear.

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:42 am
quote : #10
Type: PAL
If you're not sure if your VGA box is working properly then I suggest you trying Soul Calibur a go on it. Soul Calibur is one of those games that looks so much better on VGA than on a regular TV set.
rank 27
Posted:
Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:16 pm
quote : #11
mcmonkey wrote:
If you're not sure if your VGA box is working properly then I suggest you trying Soul Calibur a go on it. Soul Calibur is one of those games that looks so much better on VGA than on a regular TV set.

So true.

Soul Calibur makes you realize how awesome a VGA box is.

phredreeke
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:49 am
quote : #12
gRimGrAvY014 wrote:
It's possible that the game might look better on the tv because the tv smooths the images out. Smoothing the images out makes the jaggies seem to disappear.

The DC also applies it's own vertical smoothing on interlaced outputs.
Posted:
Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:35 am
quote : #13
gRimGrAvY014 wrote:

True. Not all games are best viewed via VGA box. Running some games in this mode will expose the ugly pixels. For many low-res games like Capcoms 2d fighters, I suggest using RGB (SCART) signal connected to a 27"-30" standard definition CRT set. I think this is the ideal set up since the games were designed with these specs in mind just like the arcades.

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:30 pm
quote : #14
I've noticed more pixilation on some 2nd fighters, I think those are the most noticeable games.

I notice it in Quake 3, but it's not that bad, I love being able to see my enemies from across the level.

Yes, that's how blurry my TV is Shocked

RadioSpade
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:47 pm
quote : #15
Ok, just got a 17" Viewsonic CRT, will let you knjow how it looks....
-Schthack: Asar Zo'am lvl 001