rank 21
Posted:
Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:44 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
http://dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=92938&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Quote:

Fightoon is not coming out in 2007. And it is not coming out in 2008 either.

I am sorry to announce this, but the project has been cancelled.

There are many reasons for this. I will list some, but there are some others that we prefer to keep in private. This is a sad event for us, and right now we just want to take some rest.

In this topic I will explain why some aspects of the game are the way they are. There were many things I had to take in consideration when designing the game, and I want to let you know why some decisions were made. It is a lot easier to talk about these things now that the game is not coming out, since we don't have to worry about leaving bad impressions anymore.

Right now I will only mention that we didn't have any music to put in it yet, so I used a freely available music for the sole purpose of recording this video. Except for the music and the Makaqu engine, everything else was completely developed from the ground up by me and Rodrigo.

We want to thank everyone who gave their impressions about the game, and everyone who expressed interest in it. Sorry for not being able to get it done.

Also, thanks to the GOAT Store for all their support.

I will post again in a few days.

Horrible news really. They posted a video and new screens, and it's nice. I still can't understand the cancellation Sad

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:26 pm
quote : #2
The game never looked to be my cup o' tea, but I must admit that they did a very good job from technical stand point.
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:09 am
quote : #3
it's realy cool , shit Confused hope the other projects will not be canceled
Posted:
Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:52 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Depressing, I hope this doesn't become a trend.

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:06 am
quote : #5
But I wonder if at least one of the many games announced by Goat will be released... I want Radium Confused

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:18 am
quote : #6
Type: Pal
People who make public things they are not going to finish should be shot in my opinion Twisted Evil

Laters
Posted:
Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:04 am
quote : #7
They've posted a lot more information about why it's been cancelled, it's an interesting read. I also hate when people start showing screenshots, etc. and then cancel it, but that happens when they'are too optimistic. Although I probably wouldn't have bought it, it's always a shame when people put their time and effort in something that doesn't finally work out. At least he says he'll learn from his mistakes in his future projects.

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:58 am
quote : #8
oh yes, well if someone wants to know..

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=12210#12210

Quote:
Q)Why Was It Cancelled?

A)Because we wouldn't be able to get it done. I always knew we had the talent to get it done, but I found out that having talent is not enough.

Dan was right when he said that projects like this can't be classified as homebrew. You must drive them as a business if you want to be successful. We didn't, and that's why we failed. When we finally realized the inevitable, we decided to stop.

Q)Will you at least offer up a demo of the game or the engine so those that are interested may create their own fighters?

A)No. Sorry.

Q)After seeing this video, we see good stuff however far from Jaw dropping. Maybe the game could have been truly something if it got completed.

A)Mortal Kombat 1 was jaw dropping. We intended to make a good game.

Q)Were there technical difficulties involved or was it just the amount of work that led to this decision ?

A)It was a lot of things. We can't just get the project at its current state and continue from there, and we can't just go back to the beginning either. There are many things I must learn and prepare before working in a game again.

Q)Maybe it's a good idea just taking some longer break from working on this project and come back to it later ?

A)I want to try making a fighting game again in the future. Fightoon's gameplay was getting rather nice, and I'd like to develop it more.

However, if I work in a game again I'll focus the project on what's better in terms of productivity. In Fightoon we had to get everything running and looking well at 320x240 x 8-bit color with no filtering at all, and working under these conditions was a lot harder than working in content for a hi-res and hi-color game. There were many other difficulties in this project, and if I work in a game again I won't make it under unnecessarily difficult conditions; I will probably make it for the PC, using another engine.